Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Any sources for tamper resistant bolts, or security bolts?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-15, 06:22 PM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

It seems like I spent all day calling searching for tamper resistant bolts. After getting two seats, plus posts, plus one seat collar stolen, I figured it's time to bump up my game. I called alot of 800 numbers today and all I had to do was mention that I wanted stainless steel metric security bolts. I was shot down without even getting to the size and head I was looking for!

I've seen suggestions on putting in wax, solder, and gluing ball bearings into the head of the different allen bolts on the bike, but I'm hoping I could get something that looks a little cleaner without getting ridiculous. I'm thinking replacement bolts on the seat collar, maybe the seatpost bolts, the handlebars, the water bottle cages, and possibly other bolts for other parts.

I understand companies wanting to deal with quantities, I'm open to that and paying a higher price for smaller quantities. That's all a given to how things are run. I'd just like to start finding the crap! The closest I got was metric security bolts with button heads. I'm looking at mostly M4, stainless steel, socket head in various lengths. Some M5s too.

Any sources for these bolts?

Thanks for reading this and I'm open to any and all suggestions on curbing this problem.
Old 03-13-15, 06:38 PM
wasatchtelemark
wasatchtelemark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Source for theft resistant bolts

Urban Bike Tech - Pitlock Locking Skewers for your bike! USA and Canada

These are expensive and shipping was a bit slow to the US, but for a commuter bike they are nice and I don't spend much on gasoline. I am happy with the hardware and I've had no stolen parts to date.

Originally Posted by User1
Hello all,

It seems like I spent all day calling searching for tamper resistant bolts. After getting two seats, plus posts, plus one seat collar stolen, I figured it's time to bump up my game. I called alot of 800 numbers today and all I had to do was mention that I wanted stainless steel metric security bolts. I was shot down without even getting to the size and head I was looking for!

I've seen suggestions on putting in wax, solder, and gluing ball bearings into the head of the different allen bolts on the bike, but I'm hoping I could get something that looks a little cleaner without getting ridiculous. I'm thinking replacement bolts on the seat collar, maybe the seatpost bolts, the handlebars, the water bottle cages, and possibly other bolts for other parts.

I understand companies wanting to deal with quantities, I'm open to that and paying a higher price for smaller quantities. That's all a given to how things are run. I'd just like to start finding the crap! The closest I got was metric security bolts with button heads. I'm looking at mostly M4, stainless steel, socket head in various lengths. Some M5s too.

Any sources for these bolts?

Thanks for reading this and I'm open to any and all suggestions on curbing this problem.
Old 03-13-15, 06:45 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
A quick (and not comprehensive) search yields:

Torx with "security peg".
Torx Security Seatpost Binder Bolt | Bicycle Bolts
https://www.missionbicycle.com/store...security-bolts

Automic22 Seatpost Bolt
Seatpost Lock - Binder - from Atomic22

You could also run a 1/4" cable from the seat rails to the seat stays. Crimpers are available to make it look like it was meant to be there, then you would decide if you wish to lock it in place, or make it permanent.
Old 03-14-15, 04:50 AM
cncspinner

Bikes: 2012 specialized hard rock, 2014 trek 7.3,2015 trek 1.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mcmaster Carr is an industrial supplier, have most everything. Check them out online
Old 03-14-15, 10:26 AM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cncspinner
Mcmaster Carr is an industrial supplier, have most everything. Check them out online
Yeah I'm sure I stopped at their site before. I tried again and even called, 17 miles away! They said they have nothing. The closest they had was flat head metric torx. I'm beginning to believe it's not out there. I'm starting to look at "ghettoizing" my current bolts with glues and ball bearings.
Old 03-14-15, 10:46 AM
cncspinner

Bikes: 2012 specialized hard rock, 2014 trek 7.3,2015 trek 1.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know any machinists? Wouldn't really be that hard to make them and make a custom spanner wrench for them (cap screw style with 2 holes for a spanner instead of a hex key)
Old 03-14-15, 10:48 AM
bikerTeen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pinhead makes locking skewers for wheel, seats, headsets, etc. They're pricey, but would accomplish what you're looking for.

https://www.pinheadlocks.com/store/en/

https://www.amazon.com/Pinhead-Bicycl.../dp/B001Y9X328
Old 03-14-15, 10:49 AM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Try a real hardware store, not big box "home centers". Several of our local hardware stores sell security fasteners. Try Ace or Best, they're better than average.

https://www.doitbest.com/store_locations

Last edited by kickstart; 03-14-15 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-14-15, 11:01 AM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
Try a real hardware store, not big box "home centers". Several of our local hardware stores sell security fasteners. Try Ace or Best, they're better than average.

Find a Store - Do It Best
Hardware store would not sell anything close to metric tamper resistant bolts. They have very few standard security bolts.
Old 03-14-15, 11:04 AM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerTeen
Pinhead makes locking skewers for wheel, seats, headsets, etc. They're pricey, but would accomplish what you're looking for.

https://www.pinheadlocks.com/store/en/

https://www.amazon.com/Pinhead-Bicycl.../dp/B001Y9X328

Yeah I do have a budget constrain I have to work with. I'm thinking springing for these security bolts is going to stretch this limit!
Old 03-14-15, 11:46 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A piece of bike chain around the seat rail and a frame and some automotive putty/bodyfiller inside a bolt head .
Old 03-14-15, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Industrial Hardware , though they said 'not for Your kind' , in a Bike stealing Town.. Eugene, Oregon, Fastener company.

My solution was Move..
Old 03-14-15, 03:50 PM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
A piece of bike chain around the seat rail and a frame and some automotive putty/bodyfiller inside a bolt head .
+1

Do like this option on the bolts. Takes a little time to pick this clean to work on, but still offers some protection out there. I've seen the chain setup before, but it just isn't what I'm looking for.
Old 03-14-15, 05:08 PM
steve0257

Bikes: Raleigh Port Townsend, Raleigh Tourist

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
These guys may have what you're looking for. At least they had snake eye bolts in stainless metric sizes. Looks like the minimum order is 50, and you have to call for pricing.

Tamper Proof Fasteners and Security Screws - LPF ? Tamper Proof Nuts, Bolts, Screws & More
Old 03-15-15, 10:38 AM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve0257
These guys may have what you're looking for. At least they had snake eye bolts in stainless metric sizes. Looks like the minimum order is 50, and you have to call for pricing.

Tamper Proof Fasteners and Security Screws - LPF ? Tamper Proof Nuts, Bolts, Screws & More
Yeah those guys had some metric fasteners, but nothing with a socket head. I'll call them tomorrow to be sure.
Old 03-15-15, 04:26 PM
NoBrakeNate

Bikes: Disc Trucker, Big Dummy, 74 Le Tour, Stumpy FSR 29, Tall Bike, Foundry Broadaxe, Burley tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked everywhere to find some tamper proof bolts locally, then I found out that Specialized sells them.
You can go to any Specialized dealer and they can order you these Specialized Bicycle Components
Old 03-15-15, 04:29 PM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NoBrakeNate
I looked everywhere to find some tamper proof bolts locally, then I found out that Specialized sells them.
You can go to any Specialized dealer and they can order you these Specialized Bicycle Components

Holly F BOMB! There is life! Thanks man!
Old 03-15-15, 04:32 PM
bgav

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pitlock locking skewers
Old 03-15-15, 04:33 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Otherwise OP, talk to your facilities department at work. Anyone who's ever had to maintain a bathroom in a public or semi-public building has had to source security fasteners for toilet partitions.
Old 03-16-15, 12:22 AM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Otherwise OP, talk to your facilities department at work. Anyone who's ever had to maintain a bathroom in a public or semi-public building has had to source security fasteners for toilet partitions.
Yeah, and I'm betting that just about everyone of them has their sources in standard sizes. Furthermore I'm doubting that they use socket heads for the stuff they're using. It kinda mirrors what I am finding with suppliers.

Thanks for the response though.
Old 03-16-15, 12:25 AM
ModeratedUser
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bgav

These locks are priced almost as high as some of the parts I've lost. Sorry but I have to consider cost of stuff. I'll have to go the ghetto route if this is my only option.
Old 03-16-15, 09:03 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Some years ago I was in Peru and I saw anti theft bolts sold there (apparently there were many accessories stolen). The bolts had an shallow hourglass shaped head, the top part was hexagonal and the bottom was round. You tightened the bolt and then cut off the hex part. Worked OK, but you had to drill them to take them out.