Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cool weather glove recommendation?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cool weather glove recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-20, 12:41 AM
shaun3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Interesting suggestions in that there seems, for some reason, that when discussion turns to long finger winter gloves, that there is a preponderance of suggestions made that have no padding, and no protective palm materials in cases of taking a spill (ie. some of the main reasons to wear cycling gloves).
Well I specifically asked for unpadded gloves. I avoid padding in my warm weather gloves, too. 😉
Likes For shaun3000:
Old 11-02-20, 07:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Interesting suggestions in that there seems, for some reason, that when discussion turns to long finger winter gloves, that there is a preponderance of suggestions made that have no padding, and no protective palm materials in cases of taking a spill (ie. some of the main reasons to wear cycling gloves).
Cause when I wreck in the winter, it's on snow and that's not gonna cut up your hands like pavement or gravel.

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-02-20, 10:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
Well I specifically asked for unpadded gloves. I avoid padding in my warm weather gloves, too. 😉
Fair enough. Still I'd suggest something with some palm durability/abrasion resistance.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Cause when I wreck in the winter, it's on snow and that's not gonna cut up your hands like pavement or gravel.

https://youtu.be/96xTAjaK7sc
Forum = road cycling. OP's temp is 45-50 -- likelihood of snow-covered landing is fairly small.
Old 11-02-20, 11:09 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Forum = road cycling. OP's temp is 45-50 -- likelihood of snow-covered landing is fairly small.
LOL! And the likelihood of falling on the road at 45-50F is fairly small ... who's falling without snow & ice??

I log 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year, riding year-round in Minnesota - I can count on one hand the 'falls' on roads with temps above freezing. Maybe I have excellent bike-handling, or maybe I super cautious ...
Old 11-02-20, 10:30 PM
shaun3000

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
LOL! And the likelihood of falling on the road at 45-50F is fairly small ... who's falling without snow & ice??

I log 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year, riding year-round in Minnesota - I can count on one hand the 'falls' on roads with temps above freezing. Maybe I have excellent bike-handling, or maybe I super cautious ...
I’ve fallen exactly once, because my cleats came loose and I literally couldn’t unclip.

Now I’ll probably fall, tomorrow. 😂
Old 11-02-20, 11:03 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
My only reason for wearing gloves is to keep my hands warm.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 11-03-20, 06:25 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I’ve fallen exactly once, because my cleats came loose and I literally couldn’t unclip.

Now I’ll probably fall, tomorrow. 😂
HA! That is exactly how it works for me too!
Old 11-03-20, 06:51 AM
shaun3000

It was quite embarrassing. Right in front of a group of pretty lady cyclists. SPD pedals and one of the damn bolts had come loose. I was so confused as I was going over. Ended up having to take my foot out of the shoe and twist it nearly 180° before I could get it to unclip!
Old 11-03-20, 08:33 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

OMG I hate about that turtle on it's back feeling!

Reminds me a few years back; riding a rail-trail home from work in the late fall dark, I stopped at red light, I go to put one foot down to wait for the green/cross light, but I put my foot in a sink hole I couldn't see. I ended up on the ground for what felt like forever trying to get the top foot unclipped and the bike off of me. Glad it was dark and nobody could see my face
Old 11-03-20, 05:23 PM
RNAV
Flyin' under the radar

Bikes: '15 LeMond Washoe custom painted, '06 LeMond Croix de fer custom painted, '18 Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 23 Posts
Looking for a recommendation for a cool weather glove. I don’t ride in weather colder than 45-50° F/7-10° C. I’d like something that will block the wind, with light to medium insulation, no padding, and works with my phone’s touch screen. Thanks!
For temps in the 45-50F range, I'd recommend any of the Defeet gloves: https://defeet.com/collections/gloves

The material is knit tightly enough to block most of the wind, but it's not wind-proof. That said, I have notoriously cold hands, and these keep me comfy down to ~40F, have no padding, good grip, and work with phone screens.
Old 11-03-20, 06:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Whatever’s on sale....

They’re gloves.
Nothing down to 75.
Half fingers to 55.
Full fingers to 45.
Thicker to 35.
Below 35, Brooks wool running gloves in Moss Brown mitten shells, downtube shifters. . I just got some BarMitts.