Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Are there any tubeless rim diameters that fit older 27” road frames?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Are there any tubeless rim diameters that fit older 27” road frames?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-23, 07:27 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
rustystrings61 - YES that’s the one. I already have one BTW that has been repainted with braze-on shifter mounts, top tube cable guides & (I believe) water bottle cage mounts added. AFAIK - The Weinmann’s would work fine. I just happen to have a set of the Zeus that I thought would be cool to try.

Here is the completed auction for the “new” Marco Polo BTW. I’m hoping the frame is more like a 23” instead of the (too big) 25” one that was my main steed for over 20 years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29594376597...mis&media=COPY

As I look at the pix from that auction I note what appear to be Bocama Professional lugs and Shimano dropouts - essentially, the main frame looks like the main triangle of ALL of the Graz-built 531 frames including Puch Royal Force and Royal X, Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, etc. c. 1976-77. EVERYTHING is clamp-on. Those years, they were like Raleigh, they ALL had 57 cm top tubes, and had what is today considered sports-touring geometry.

Are you aware of the Facebook group Puch Renrader von 1976-1987? Lotsa good info there ...
Old 10-04-23, 01:58 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
As I look at the pix from that auction I note what appear to be Bocama Professional lugs and Shimano dropouts - essentially, the main frame looks like the main triangle of ALL of the Graz-built 531 frames including Puch Royal Force and Royal X, Austro-Daimler Vent Noir, etc. c. 1976-77. EVERYTHING is clamp-on. Those years, they were like Raleigh, they ALL had 57 cm top tubes, and had what is today considered sports-touring geometry.

Are you aware of the Facebook group Puch Renrader von 1976-1987? Lotsa good info there ...
Thanks, I will have to check that out. My current road bikes all have top tubes in the 55/56cm territory. The shorty quill stems to that I might end up using might throw my sense of proper handling off and make the bike handle less than racer-like, but we can always build it up and give a test ride.
Old 10-04-23, 02:55 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Thanks, I will have to check that out. My current road bikes all have top tubes in the 55/56cm territory. The shorty quill stems to that I might end up using might throw my sense of proper handling off and make the bike handle less than racer-like, but we can always build it up and give a test ride.
FWIW, here is the saga of my Royal X, along with build pix, etc. When it was new, this nominal 23-in bike (<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->59.5 (to top) x 57.5, 73 x 73, 43.5 cm chainstays, 52 mm trail, 2-in rake) bike came stock with 39 cm SR handlebar and a 9 cm SR stem. Now that I am older and less flexible and prefer a more comfortable position where I can easily use all of the handlebar postions, the bike is fitted with a 11 cm or so stem. If I ever get around to getting some 42 cm bars, I'll probably also seek a 10 cm stem.