Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Storage : storing or shipping surplus gear while on a long term stay in France.

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Storage : storing or shipping surplus gear while on a long term stay in France.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-23, 08:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
1. My current understanding is that risk factor #1 is, by far, delayed/lost luggage. ...
I traveled a LOT for work in the late 1980s and through the 1990s.

Never had lost luggage. But had delayed luggage many times. One damaged hard shell suitcase. Thus, your description sounds right to me.

Regarding carrying a bike on a plane, my experience is not relevant, as I have only carried bikes in a S&S Backpack case on airplanes. Never flew with a fill size bike in either a hardcase, cardboard bike box, or bag.

My delayed luggage handling was often enough that when I finally bought a digital camera about two decades ago, I always take a photo of my luggage before I give it to the airline, it is much easier to describe my lost luggage to the airline when I can show them a photo on my camera, which I have done a few times. And I always use two luggage tags, sometimes one gets torn off but I have never had both torn off.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-13-24, 05:30 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
djb. among my issues; TSA pokes holes in cardboard boxes.

Originally Posted by djb
your multiple experiences of damage could suggest that you are not packing your bike properly, and in general it is not a good idea to have loose items in the bike box along with your bike in case a small hole happens.
All I can say is that I have flown with a bike in a cardboard box many, many times over the last 30+ years, and choosing the right size box for the bike (so the bike is not able to move around at all) and studying and copying how a brand new bicycle is packed in a cardboard box to be shipped from country of origin to the eventual bicycle store to be sold-- this has meant that SO FAR (I emphasis this because I realize one day something will possibly happen to my bike) my bike has never been damaged.

I am really sorry that you've had problems, but my experience shows that usually it is ok

I cannot emphasis enough the importance of HOW one packs the bike in, using common sense so that if the box falls over, falls off a conveyor belt, heavy things are put on top of it while it is laying down (suitcases) it is packed in such a way to minimize the risk of one part smashing into another part, or whatever.

hey, there are no guarantees in life, but we can do the best we can to minimize the risks
-hopefully only having one leg of a flight, so bike box is not transferred out of one plane, into an airport baggage facility, then out into another plane--doubles the risk
-really being smart and packing your bike just like a brand new bike is packed (millions of bikes are shipped each year to stores, it is in everyones best interest not to have damage, so they have figured out the best way to pack them--copy this)
-reinforce all contact points and grab holes with lots of tape
-use foam bits as cushion (I put some under the fork)
-remove rear derailleur or at least put it in the most inward position, chain on largest cog at back
-use ALL the hard plastic bits to protect fork, rear derailleur, rotors, etc etc
-use a black marker to indicate "THIS WAY UP" if the box does not have clear words on it showing which way is up.
djb.

It was a good thing i duct-tapped my few accessories to the bike; , itself; because instead of just opening the easily accessible flaps; TSa punched holes in the box apparently during their inspection. It is amazing items such as my skewers didn't fall out. Cardboard boxes is my take on the lack of protection. The box was smashed and the matting material( used under tents ) failed to protect my wheels' spokes. . I am not sure what else to use to protect my bike from thermal shocks. ? Taking my hard case, when I'm not going to be staying in one location.: I am somewhat inclined to try cardboard boxes again. . and hope another airline airport will do better. /

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 01-14-24, 02:30 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
I am considering trying two cardboard boxes, one inside the other, at least on the outbound trip.

The last box I got was originally for a 29’a, and was much wider than usual.
it would add another 3-4 kg of course, so there’s that 🧐
Old 01-14-24, 07:23 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
djb.

It was a good thing i duct-tapped my few accessories to the bike; , itself; because instead of just opening the easily accessible flaps; TSa punched holes in the box apparently during their inspection. It is amazing items such as my skewers didn't fall out. Cardboard boxes is my take on the lack of protection. The box was smashed and the matting material( used under tents ) failed to protect my wheels' spokes. . I am not sure what else to use to protect my bike from thermal shocks. ? Taking my hard case, when I'm not going to be staying in one location.: I am somewhat inclined to try cardboard boxes again. . and hope another airline airport will do better. /
I personally haven't experienced the American TSA but it seems from what I've read that they can be more ham fisted or bull in a china shop about things.
Putting small loose items like qr or pedals into ones checked baggage is an easy way to reduce the risk of them getting lost out of box.
Other than firmly zip tieing my front wheel to the frame, yes technically the spokes can be damaged if something pierces the cardboard or drops onto the side of the box, I personally, SO FAR , haven't had this happen to me. Most of the time the cardboard box has arrived with even minimal scuffing on the bottom, but I'm completely aware it depends on the specific individuals doing the handling, or somehow falling off a conveyor belt.
I'll try to find a photo of my bike when I first remove it from the box to show you how it is packed.
Old 01-14-24, 07:37 AM
djb

​​​​​​note-- the position of the drop bars here are not ideal, I have gevenale shifters and had trouble putting the bars in a more normal position over the top tube, I figured how a better way last summer but don't have a photo.
Old 01-15-24, 08:30 PM
djb

hey there zealot, found a photo of my bike from last summer, from other side. Shows how the front wheel is zip tied in frame better, plus the bars were placed differently, although they are diff bars, wider and I took off my interrupter brake levers last year also, so maybe that made it easier to fit the bars in. Its never pretty though with the bars, and while Im careful with my bike, its been through a lot of trips so I dont worry about a small scratch anymore.
hope this helps