Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring with One-By Drivetrain?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring with One-By Drivetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-24, 02:14 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by chief9245
Wheels Mfg makes a bb just for that purpose. Of course you need they're special wrenches or sockets, but once installed you'll never deal with it again. Cheapest I found was $110.
OK, but the surface what is in contact is still non threaded. And that can not produce noise?
I am lucky, my two road bikes press fit BB30 never made creaking noise.

Last edited by str; 01-23-24 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-23-24, 06:04 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I've had shifter cable issues in the past when I've improperly adjusted the derailleurs and shifters, so a bit too much tension in the system, which over time stresses the cable at the bend point inside the shifter. I perhaps recall you writing that you hated the Hurricanes. I have a pair that were super cheap and ride ok, but I really havent put many miles on them.
Ive been lucky so far in that I havent ridden where goatheads were around, they sound like a real pain in the arse. But hey, tires are tires, a consumable thing, just hope you didnt have the inconvenience of having lots of flats within a short time, that would be frustrating. Touch wood Ive not had that happen (yet)
The biggest issue with the Hurricanes were they were too wide and too thin. I ended up getting turned around in the middle of the desert in New Mexico and getting a good 300-400 goatheads in each of my Byways, completely destroying them. A bike shop 50 miles away in Silver Springs hooked me up with the Hurricanes. Hated how they rode, they were 2.1 inches wide and heavy, so I switched back to Byways when I got into Texas, the Byways are definitely the Cadillac of tires. Goatheads were horrific, if you left the pavement, you were getting a flat, so I learned as soon as you leave the pavement to carry the bike. After a couple days I found Slime and that worked quite well. I definitely learned a lot riding in that environment, desert was my favorite, the beauty is absolutely amazing. The picture shows goatheads that came off the bottom of my shoe just walking several feet. They started in New Mexico and went all the way through El Paso, or even a little past.
Old 01-23-24, 08:46 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
The biggest issue with the Hurricanes were they were too wide and too thin. I ended up getting turned around in the middle of the desert in New Mexico and getting a good 300-400 goatheads in each of my Byways, completely destroying them. A bike shop 50 miles away in Silver Springs hooked me up with the Hurricanes. Hated how they rode, they were 2.1 inches wide and heavy, so I switched back to Byways when I got into Texas, the Byways are definitely the Cadillac of tires. Goatheads were horrific, if you left the pavement, you were getting a flat, so I learned as soon as you leave the pavement to carry the bike. After a couple days I found Slime and that worked quite well. I definitely learned a lot riding in that environment, desert was my favorite, the beauty is absolutely amazing. The picture shows goatheads that came off the bottom of my shoe just walking several feet. They started in New Mexico and went all the way through El Paso, or even a little past.
yup, Im pretty sure we had this conversation a good while back.
and yup, being in areas with those really must be why tubeless is popular. All the stuff I read about the Divide Ride is that past a certain point, these become more and more common, and that a tubeless setup is pretty much the only way to go. I was very lucky riding in Mexico etc where I didn't have problems with these, but I too learned to carry my bike in brush and off the road to avoid regular old long and spikey thorns, and or just to really look at the ground when pushing my heavy bike off the side of the road sometimes (trip was nearly always on paved roads)

the 26" hurricanes I got were also 2.1 inches, weigh 620g, dont know what width and size yours were. Yes they are not a particularly fast tire, but I didnt really have anything to compare them to with that bike other than 2in and 1.6in quite light, fast slicks Ive used on that bike a lot.

ps- last summer I put Mezcal 2.1's on that bike for a much more offroad thing, and they rolled pretty good on pavement for a cross country mtb tire, so I'd have to compare them back to back to the Hurricanes to really get a proper feel for the Hurricanes when comparing directly to another 2.1 tire.

Back to what I said before about liking how a given tire rolls and stuff, it sounds like you were really happy with those Byways and liked how they roll. When we ride every day, we certainly become pretty darn atuned to every little advantage/disadvantage we feel in our bikes dont we?

Last edited by djb; 01-23-24 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-23-24, 08:58 AM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
yup, Im pretty sure we had this conversation a good while back.
and yup, being in areas with those really must be why tubeless is popular. All the stuff I read about the Divide Ride is that past a certain point, these become more and more common, and that a tubeless setup is pretty much the only way to go. I was very lucky riding in Mexico etc where I didn't have problems with these, but I too learned to carry my bike in brush and off the road to avoid regular old long and spikey thorns, and or just to really look at the ground when pushing my heavy bike off the side of the road sometimes (trip was nearly always on paved roads)

the 26" hurricanes I got were also 2.1 inches, weigh 620g, dont know what width and size yours were. Yes they are not a particularly fast tire, but I didnt really have anything to compare them to with that bike other than 2in and 1.6in quite light, fast slicks Ive used on that bike a lot.

ps- last summer I put Mezcal 2.1's on that bike for a much more offroad thing, and they rolled pretty good on pavement for a cross country mtb tire, so I'd have to compare them back to back to the Hurricanes to really get a proper feel for the Hurricanes when comparing directly to another 2.1 tire.

Back to what I said before about liking how a given tire rolls and stuff, it sounds like you were really happy with those Byways and liked how they roll. When we ride every day, we certainly become pretty darn atuned to every little advantage/disadvantage we feel in our bikes dont we?
Yes we do! It's great to go on these forums and get everyone's perspective too. This was my first tour and I got a lot of great info from everyone on the site, and what a hell of an experience!. I don't think I'd change anything but I respect everyone's options and setups.
Old 01-23-24, 11:48 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 238 Posts
I love Goatheads )) some years ago, I think it was 2016, we had approx 18 flats in two days, Castilla & Leon, yes we counted them, ) no tubless!

With tubules we would have laughed about Tribulus terrestris stuff. ))

at first we did not know what was going on. fixed the front tire, after the back tire, after fixing the back wheel the front tire was already flat again ))) little Tribulus terrestris needle had perforated again.

Last edited by str; 01-23-24 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-23-24, 12:43 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by str
I love Goatheads )) some years ago, I think it was 2016, we had approx 18 flats in two days, Castilla & Leon, yes we counted them, ) no tubless!

With tubules we would have laughed about Tribulus terrestris stuff. ))

at first we did not know what was going on. fixed the front tire, after the back tire, after fixing the back wheel the front tire was already flat again ))) little Tribulus terrestris needle had perforated again.
Going for the "How many ways to spell Schwinn" thing, but with "tubeless"?