Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Experience with Warmshowers

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Experience with Warmshowers

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 08:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by sapporoguy
Thanks for the great perspectives, all. The "And then you have to talk and talk" angle hadn't really occurred to us, and while we're generally sociable, we often are less so after a day of pedaling.
+1. I don’t want to feel like I have to choose between obliging or coming off as rude.

The first time we stayed with a (non-Showers) host crossing the country (there were 13 of us), I felt uncomfortable, especially because the house was on the small side. The second time was much better because the host was a former bike tour leader. I think he knew how to give us space, and the house was much larger. The third time was somewhere in the middle, but again, it was a pretty large house.
Old 02-09-24, 02:23 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
When I put food on the table I see the face of these brooding guest-cyclists brighten up in no time! There's really no need to worry.
Old 02-09-24, 11:45 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 238 Posts
If you know how to cook

In our family we love to cook and we buy (ONLY) fresh food nearly every day.

Some forums have these ""show us what do you cook for dinner tonight"" threads, what we see there looks most of the time a bid sad, not not say very sad.
Old 02-09-24, 11:47 AM
str

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Not always. I've had hosts clearly signalling that they weren't into chitchat.
WRT food ... I don't recall a time where I felt like going urgently to the nearest restaurant afterwards. Usually an interesting mean to discover what "the locals" eat, which often has little to do with what you can get in a restaurant or cook on a camping stove.

I've had a few "help yourself with what's in the fridge"; a few "we'll improvise, what food do you have with you -- I happened to have tortillas, that ended up toasted; or some corn that's been tossed into a chili; a few "I am vegan, but you can have some hummus if you'd like -- excellent. and with fabulous Medjoul dates for dessert; and the great "there a nice chinese/thai/italian/etc restaurant 5 minutes from here". WS is a great way to learn about people.

I am sure there are wonderful people out there, and one can have great experiences.
Old 02-11-24, 11:31 AM
jkinner

Bikes: Thorn Nomad, Haibike XDuro Trekking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
An Alternative to WarmShowers - Be Welcome

Popular in Europe, slowly integrating into USA: https://www.bewelcome.org/
Old 02-12-24, 01:53 PM
axolotl

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I had zero hosting requests last year, and only one request the year before. Before covid I used to get at least a couple of requests each year, and I usually said yes. I've also read complaints that very few European or Latin American hosts even respond to hosting requests. My sense is that Warmshowers seems to be slowly dying. The current unelected Board of Directors and paid director made some very bad decisions IMO. They seem intolerant of any criticism and unwilling to change directions.
Old 02-12-24, 04:08 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
I've also read complaints that very few European or Latin American hosts even respond to hosting requests.
Not consistent with my experience. Last year, I could very often spend the night at a warmshower's home. (UK). This year, I got early confirmation for several nights in France & Spain.

I would also take offence at the notion of "complaint". Nobody in entitled to a be a guest. It is a privilege. There is an hospitality industry catering to those who are expecting quick replies.
Old 02-13-24, 12:39 AM
axolotl

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Not consistent with my experience. Last year, I could very often spend the night at a warmshower's home. (UK). This year, I got early confirmation for several nights in France & Spain.

I would also take offence at the notion of "complaint". Nobody in entitled to a be a guest. It is a privilege. There is an hospitality industry catering to those who are expecting quick replies.
I think it's reasonable for someone to be annoyed if they're not even getting responses to hosting requests, especially if the person making the request has hosted a lot of cyclists him or herself. I always respond to requests, and almost always say yes. I always refuse requests from people who aren't cycling, however. I respond to them and tell them why I won't host them.

I haven't even sought hosting in many years, so I'm not the one complaining.
Old 02-13-24, 08:29 AM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
My sense is that Warmshowers seems to be slowly dying. The current unelected Board of Directors and paid director made some very bad decisions IMO. They seem intolerant of any criticism and unwilling to change directions.
+1
I definitely agree that the current admin is making WS go downhill.
Old 02-16-24, 03:07 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
"I never thought of that as necessarily a terrible thing. I always assumed that folks would be using it to get help and may not be hosting. I was fine with that. The only time I felt like they crossed the line was when they weren't actually touring...."

This is exactly what spoiled "youth hostels" or later on just "hostels." They were supposed to be for hikers and bikers traveling under their own power. Instead I found myself riding all day to a hostel (in Europe, usually) only to find a train or bus just pulled in and dozens of "backpackers" were all checked in.
Old 02-17-24, 10:11 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
"I never thought of that as necessarily a terrible thing. I always assumed that folks would be using it to get help and may not be hosting. I was fine with that. The only time I felt like they crossed the line was when they weren't actually touring...."

This is exactly what spoiled "youth hostels" or later on just "hostels." They were supposed to be for hikers and bikers traveling under their own power. Instead I found myself riding all day to a hostel (in Europe, usually) only to find a train or bus just pulled in and dozens of "backpackers" were all checked in.
In Europe they were always full of the "backpacker" type even when I did it in 1979, but that was what they were for. The young crowd travels all around Europe, Asia too, staying at hostels and cheap hotels. Few of these hostels are specific to hikers or bikers. When I did it with a Eurail pass I visited 14 countries in 10 weeks, including what was then a few communist countries that were NOT generally visited. I met this Australian girl in Vienna that was adventurous and convinced me to go. Once in Prague I wanted to continue on to what was then still Leningrad but you needed to get the visa in the west with western cash. And it is a very long train ride on the old USSR rail system.

I think of the AirBNBs I've used and some of them are entire houses or apartments but some the hosts live in. I much prefer having the entire house/apt. With VRBO you always get the whole house, and they advertise that as their main benefit. I don't always want to make small talk. It's ok when you arrive but when you go about your business for the day you just want to go to your room and chill sometimes. It's the same at regular BnBs too, I don't want to make small talk with the other guests at breakfast.

My wife and I are thinking of opening a "make your own damn bed and get your own damn breakfast" inn. Maybe hospitality isn't our thing.
Likes For zacster:
Old 02-17-24, 11:22 AM
sapporoguy

Bikes: 2000 Santana Sovereign SE; 2005 Co-Motion Speedster; Kona Kilauea with various dorky commuter accoutrements; Mercier Kilo TT fixie; Burley Fladbed trailer for groceries, bags of cement and the like.

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
My wife and I are thinking of opening a "make your own damn bed and get your own damn breakfast" inn. Maybe hospitality isn't our thing.
Yes, please! My stoker and I--team age 133--have talked about wanting an option like this.