Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Cleaning a Down Sleeping Bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-23, 06:04 PM
13velos

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX50, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1982 Trek 720, 1970 Motoconfort, 2023 Soma Pescadero

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

In anticipation of doing some touring in 2024, I decided it was high time to clean my 40 year old North Face Blue Kazoo down sleeping bag. I read a number of tutorials online and decided to have it done by a professional service. I ended up using a company called ëClean that uses a liquid CO2 method without solvents, etc. The cost was $59 and they covered shipping both ways. They did a fantastic job and the bag came back super clean and fluffy and it seemed to restore some of the loft. That’s my first experience having something with a down fill cleaned and I was super happy with the results. I’m sure there are other excellent services to use, but they did a great job on my bag.
Likes For 13velos:
Old 12-18-23, 06:11 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
This as opposed to a can of NikWax down wash direct, $13 at REI ?. This is what I have heard of folks doing, I have no idea how well NikWax works.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 12-18-23, 07:38 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I have washed lots of down bags over the years. Years ago REI sold their own down soap, when it was on a closeout sale price I bought several extra containers, still using that. When I run out of the REI soap, I will probably use Dreft instead.

The key to success is adequate rinsing to make sure no soap residue remains.

I dry it initially by air dry on a rack with a fan on it, I avoid using heat in a dryer. When it is finally almost dry, I run it in the dryer on cold air with some tennis shoes in the dryer to knock loose any down clumps.

A gal I used to work with taught me that if you use a sleeping bag liner, it keeps your bag a lot cleaner. When you are dirty the liner gets dirty instead of your bag. I have been using a liner for about 15 years for that reason.

Originally Posted by 13velos
In anticipation of doing some touring in 2024, I decided it was high time to clean my 40 year old North Face Blue Kazoo down sleeping bag. I read a number of tutorials online and decided to have it done by a professional service. I ended up using a company called ëClean that uses a liquid CO2 method without solvents, etc. The cost was $59 and they covered shipping both ways. They did a fantastic job and the bag came back super clean and fluffy and it seemed to restore some of the loft. That’s my first experience having something with a down fill cleaned and I was super happy with the results. I’m sure there are other excellent services to use, but they did a great job on my bag.
Thanks for the post, I am sure there will be people on this forum that are afraid to put their expensive bag in a washing machine, would rather have someone do it that knows what they are doing.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 12-19-23, 09:21 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A gal I used to work with taught me that if you use a sleeping bag liner, it keeps your bag a lot cleaner. When you are dirty the liner gets dirty instead of your bag. I have been using a liner for about 15 years for that reason.
I have used a liner at times and they work, but I have mostly stopped. I don't tend to sleep in the bag with bare skin much. I usually have at the very least running shorts and a tech tee and often thin tights. I figure that at least partially negates the need for a liner. I decided that the best thing you can do is to avoid sweating in the bag (as much as possible). To that end I tend to pull a zipped open bag over me like a quilt if it isn't yet real cold, then get in as it gets colder, zip up when it gets colder yet, pull the draw string tight on the hood when it gets colder yet (avoiding breathing into the bag). I tend to use a not so warm for the conditions bag so I may pile some clothes on me in or on the bag. They can be added as needed. I preferr to not sleep super warm any way, but starting out cool and not getting wet with sweat keeps you warmer than getting all damp and then having the temperature drop and chilling you down. At least that has been my experience.

Thanks for the post, I am sure there will be people on this forum that are afraid to put their expensive bag in a washing machine, would rather have someone do it that knows what they are doing.
There is something to be said for just paying someone to do it for you professionally. It is a pain to do and there is some risk of damaging baffles. Cost is minimal considering the cost of a high end down bag and how infrequently they tend to need cleaning. At least my experience is that they seem to see a lot of use before I feel like they need to be cleaned. Perhaps that is because I am not fussy about how clean they are as long as loft isn't affected and I avoid getting the bag all sweaty. I know that my current favorite bag has at least a couple hundred nights of use and I have not been tempted to consider cleaning it. So my bags mostly just don't get cleaned for a very long time.

Last edited by staehpj1; 12-19-23 at 10:26 AM.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 12-29-23, 08:01 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I wash all my down and synthetics with Atsko Sport-Wash.
https://www.atsko.com/care-of-performance-fabrics/

Another way to get rid of regular detergent residue is to simply add a bit of white vinegar to the rinse cycle. This works for not only clothes but your body as well with soap residue. Just a squirt in a small bucket full of water and douse yourself, or add vinegar to the softener dispenser of the washing machine. I've done this for some 25 years !
Old 03-01-24, 06:09 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
If you use a washing machine, make it a front-loader "tumbler" style washer, not a top-loader with an agitator, the latter puts a lot more wear on things, especially very long and large things in a washer, the front loader is more gentle.

I've used a liner forever, and bottle shower before bed, so it's very rare I need to wash a bag.
Old 03-01-24, 08:52 AM
robobike316 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
Wow, a 40 year old Blue Kazoo! I've still got one of those as well as a 45 year old Superlight I bought when I was 13 with paper route money. Had it re-stuffed twice at North Face in Berkley. Thanks for the cleaning tips.
Old 03-01-24, 09:23 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by 13velos
Maybe get a new light sleeping bag? )) That North Face Blue Kazoo is heavy like 5 bricks!
Likes For str:
Old 03-01-24, 12:25 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I can't remember the last time I used my 1972 Gerry Sports down sleeping bag, it has been so long that I do not recall the model name. But I still have it, a semi-rectangular bag. At one time I weighed it at 1,985 grams.
Old 03-01-24, 04:29 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When I was touring I often stopped at a laundromat to put my down sleeping bag in one of the large commercial driers on a low setting to dry out the bag. As soon as I could find one I bought a synthetic sleeping bag that dried out a great deal faster. Using a liner for the bag will minimize how much cleaning is needed.
Old 03-01-24, 08:37 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by Calsun
When I was touring I often stopped at a laundromat to put my down sleeping bag in one of the large commercial driers on a low setting to dry out the bag. As soon as I could find one I bought a synthetic sleeping bag that dried out a great deal faster. Using a liner for the bag will minimize how much cleaning is needed.
I have a couple 20 year old Polarguard sleeping bags, but they do not pack down very well. But you are right that synthetics dry out well and even if damp provide some insulation.