Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter cycling at night is da bomb

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-18, 10:30 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts

Especially when there's snow. Not on the roads themselves, which have to be dry, but everywhere else. The sheen from the white stuff brightens everything up, including one's mood.

It is an uplifting experience gliding through the frosty, silent night. It was -5C out there with light winds this evening, and I was perfectly warm for a good hour and a half. These last few years I've totally embraced winter riding. You can't get out as consistently as the rest of the year due to the occasional snow storm or stint of stupid cold, but nowadays the term "off-season" just means that you slow down a bit and consider every ride to be a gift. And on the days you can't ride? Just go to the Y to play basketball or something.

Anything to avoid the dreaded trainer. I haven't used mine at all in the last five years, and I've never been happier.

Old 12-08-18, 11:48 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
You know, the view is even better during the day ;-)

Good thing you are having fun!
I love winter riding too, but as a commuter. I really enjoy the connection with the elements as it somehow makes me feel more alive.
Old 12-09-18, 02:36 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Winter snow riding, night or day, when I was back north in Jersey was great. The hush was fabulous and couldn't help but think about Paul Simon's song

REALLY enjoy down here in SW FL a bit more since at 12:17AM this past Thursday I was out starting my 105 miler. Not the "snow hush" but still QUIET!
Old 12-09-18, 08:37 AM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
I like winter riding (lived in Upstate NY for many years) but as a commuter, with studded tires. I’ve had one too many encounters with black ice to even imagine road cycling on that stuff, thank you very much. And changing a flat on a cold winter night, where the road shoulder is piled with snow so you have to do it on the road with your frozen fingers and pray no distracted driver runs you over? That is the mega-bomb (not)! Other than that, it’s cool.
Old 12-09-18, 08:45 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Old 12-09-18, 08:50 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
I have one of those lights you show, I bet two of them are quite illuminating!

There is a magic from riding at night in winter. The absolute best is winter night riding around during a holiday like Christmas. No one is outside.

I had written a note about the emptiness during Thanksgiving night riding from last year. It was really cool in that the streets were very empty, but all the local stores parking lots where packed full! Very surreal.

​​​​​
Old 12-09-18, 12:22 PM
rousseau

Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
I like winter riding (lived in Upstate NY for many years) but as a commuter, with studded tires. I’ve had one too many encounters with black ice to even imagine road cycling on that stuff, thank you very much. And changing a flat on a cold winter night, where the road shoulder is piled with snow so you have to do it on the road with your frozen fingers and pray no distracted driver runs you over? That is the mega-bomb (not)! Other than that, it’s cool.
Commuting is different. It's gotta be, right? I've never actually done it myself. Nope, when I ride, it's only because I really want to ride. Which is a real privilege, I know.

Caveats about winter riding, during the night or day: I know my local roads really well. I know when they're dry. Black ice isn't much of a thing where I am save for relatively rare days we get freezing rain (and the day after if the temp drops), but I wouldn't be riding on those days anyway. I go a bit slower, and don't do any crazy cornering. I stay away from busy streets and roads.

Knocking on wood, I haven't had a puncture on a winter ride, but if I did I would be on the cell phone to my wife or a cab right away. The Campy Scirocco wheels I have are a bear to mount tires onto at the best of times. Actually, come to think of it, I did get a flat once on a winter ride. I had to call my wife to pick me up after trying, and failing, to replace my tube. Here's why:

Old 12-09-18, 06:20 PM
GreenAnvil

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Roubaix 1.0 LE

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Commuting is different. It's gotta be, right? I've never actually done it myself. Nope, when I ride, it's only because I really want to ride. Which is a real privilege, I know.

Caveats about winter riding, during the night or day: I know my local roads really well. I know when they're dry. Black ice isn't much of a thing where I am save for relatively rare days we get freezing rain (and the day after if the temp drops), but I wouldn't be riding on those days anyway. I go a bit slower, and don't do any crazy cornering. I stay away from busy streets and roads.

Knocking on wood, I haven't had a puncture on a winter ride, but if I did I would be on the cell phone to my wife or a cab right away. The Campy Scirocco wheels I have are a bear to mount tires onto at the best of times. Actually, come to think of it, I did get a flat once on a winter ride. I had to call my wife to pick me up after trying, and failing, to replace my tube. Here's why:
My commute was about 10 miles one-way. Of course I could drive my truck but I chose to bike-commute. I also knew my roads and generally knew what the weather was going to be like, but lake-effect weather can throw a wrench into those forecasts in a hurry. The roads can be dry, but the wind will drive snow onto the road. Combine that with all the salt they thrown down and you get this salty slush that eventually gets frozen no matter what. Any time the temp rises over freezing you know it’s going to drop at night and most likely you’ll get ice on the roads. Trying to control speed downhill can be interesting in those conditions.

Having said all that, I actually liked it. People thought I was crazy but if you dress properly you can stay toasty-warm w/o overheating. Ah, gotta watch for deer crossing the road in front of you (I kid you not).

I don’t know what it would be like to ride a road bike with skinny tires during the winter at night (mine was a hybrid with 32mm studded tires). I don’t think it would have been safe in my (then) neck of the woods IME.
Old 12-09-18, 08:48 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I begin my commute at 6AM and I am done by 7, so in essence I am riding at night at this time of the year. It is quite serene on streets that are deserted, but extra care must be taken with the lone drivers who are out as they don't expect anyone else to be out either. I wouldn't, however, go out to joy ride at night. That's just inviting trouble.
Old 12-10-18, 10:53 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Secret sauce

You stumbled across the secret sauce exclamation don't try to do summer rides of two plus hours during winter you just can't stay warm for that amount of time and any sort of sweat that you generate makes it quite miserable

Especially when there's snow. Not on the roads themselves, which have to be dry, but everywhere else. The sheen from the white stuff brightens everything up, including one's mood.

It is an uplifting experience gliding through the frosty, silent night. It was -5C out there with light winds this evening, and I was perfectly warm for a good hour and a half.
Old 12-10-18, 11:00 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I regularly ride three to four hours at night in below freezing temperatures. With the right gear it isn't a problem.

Hydration is the biggest issue. Cold beverages are just not appealing and routes are generally built around convenience stores where hot beverages are available.
Old 12-10-18, 11:06 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
It is fun. Mean to stop and take out my cam, and never do. Either because it is well below freezing and want to keep warm/moving, or I'm in a hurry.
Old 12-10-18, 11:53 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
You know what's even better? Riding at night in California, where it's like 50 degrees at night, and you can wear pretty much regular kit without freezing your ass off.
Old 12-10-18, 03:55 PM
rousseau

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I begin my commute at 6AM and I am done by 7, so in essence I am riding at night at this time of the year. It is quite serene on streets that are deserted, but extra care must be taken with the lone drivers who are out as they don't expect anyone else to be out either. I wouldn't, however, go out to joy ride at night. That's just inviting trouble.
"Joy ride"? Sounds like a puritanesque dismissal of riding for non-utilitarian reasons. The desire to experience joy is pretty much the only reason I ride. It's a reliable drug, too. Every hit is a good trip.

Riding on country roads at 8 pm in the dark is exponentially safer than commuting at 6 am in the dark. I mean, in the morning you've got barely awake and distracted drivers, and more of them. It's no contest.
Old 12-10-18, 03:56 PM
rousseau

Originally Posted by cthenn
You know what's even better? Riding at night in California, where it's like 50 degrees at night, and you can wear pretty much regular kit without freezing your ass off.
50 degrees! Holy crap. I experienced that once in Turkey on the coast. It was, literally, like an oven. Summers are regularly like that in the Middle East, from what I gather. No thanks.
Old 12-10-18, 04:19 PM
mcours2006

"Joy ride"? Sounds like a puritanesque dismissal of riding for non-utilitarian reasons. The desire to experience joy is pretty much the only reason I ride. It's a reliable drug, too. Every hit is a good trip.

Riding on country roads at 8 pm in the dark is exponentially safer than commuting at 6 am in the dark. I mean, in the morning you've got barely awake and distracted drivers, and more of them. It's no contest.
Not being dismissive. I go on joy rides all the time, but I wouldn't do so in the dark, and certainly not in winter when a puddle in the afternoon could turn into a patch of invisible ice by 8PM.

I am not going to argue with you whether it's safer to ride at 8 PM on darkened country roads with 80 kph limit or on the wide, well-lit secondary/residential roads with 50 kph limit, but I will say that there are distracted drivers out at all hours of the day. I don't know if they are more distracted at 6AM or 6PM, but there are certainly more of them at 6PM.
Old 12-10-18, 06:32 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I used to road right at night, and did so for decades. But lately my area and roads are a lot busier, so I stopped. It just wasn't any fun any more. So now I Zwift, which, while no substitute for road riding, is OK.
Old 12-10-18, 07:00 PM
rousseau

Not being dismissive. I go on joy rides all the time, but I wouldn't do so in the dark, and certainly not in winter when a puddle in the afternoon could turn into a patch of invisible ice by 8PM.
I know my roads and am careful. For example, it stayed around 0 all day today and there was no precipitation, so there are no puddles around to turn into ice. On the rare day when it rains and then the temperature quickly drops below freezing, I just don't go out.

I am not going to argue with you whether it's safer to ride at 8 PM on darkened country roads with 80 kph limit or on the wide, well-lit secondary/residential roads with 50 kph limit,...
I'm gonna argue! Darkened country roads mean fewer visual distractions. My taillights are distinct and highly visible to the one car I encounter coming up behind me every five minutes or so. Much more so than on a well-lit street with regular traffic and other visual distractions. Not to mention that drivers in town are likely to be more preoccupied with navigating to their destinations than those cruising along a country road.

...but I will say that there are distracted drivers out at all hours of the day. I don't know if they are more distracted at 6AM or 6PM, but there are certainly more of them at 6PM.
I don't go out at 6 pm. I go out at 8 pm when rush hour is over. There are still evening shoppers out there, but I avoid busy streets on my way out of town, so I don't encounter them.

There's no quantitative evidence out there, but my anecdotal experience over the past five years has convinced me that night rides in the countryside are unequivocally safer than night rides in urban settings. Mostly to do with the comparative lack of traffic. I never have close calls out in the country.
Old 12-10-18, 07:22 PM
BikingTech

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got back from a short grocery hop, 6:15 pm my time now. Temp is around 33F and no wind. I love riding on the first night of snow because in my area the roads are empty, benefits of a farming community. Sadly though, we haven't had any standing snow yet. As I was approaching my house a cop taking a break at the church down the road yelled at me, "Is there a day you don't ride?!" I just laughed because my day was just made!
Old 12-10-18, 07:31 PM
mcours2006

I'm gonna argue! Darkened country roads mean fewer visual distractions. My taillights are distinct and highly visible to the one car I encounter coming up behind me every five minutes or so. Much more so than on a well-lit street with regular traffic and other visual distractions. Not to mention that drivers in town are likely to be more preoccupied with navigating to their destinations than those cruising along a country road.

There's no quantitative evidence out there, but my anecdotal experience over the past five years has convinced me that night rides in the countryside are unequivocally safer than night rides in urban settings. Mostly to do with the comparative lack of traffic. I never have close calls out in the country.
Yes, single-point data is always compelling and convincing. You are, of course, entitled to have your opinion.
Old 12-10-18, 07:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Totally agree w the OP gonna get a nite ride in this week and it’s gonna be dark and frigid. Best club to be a part of
Old 12-10-18, 08:22 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
50 degrees! Holy crap. I experienced that once in Turkey on the coast. It was, literally, like an oven. Summers are regularly like that in the Middle East, from what I gather. No thanks.
Fahrenheit.
Old 12-11-18, 12:00 AM
rousseau

Originally Posted by Steamer
Fahrenheit.
Is that a Jewish name?
Old 12-11-18, 11:20 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Fahrenheit.
Yes, sorry, I guess I should have stipulated that Actually it's been colder here lately, dropping into the low 40s. (Fahrenheit...)
Old 12-11-18, 05:07 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 84 Posts
Is that a Jewish name?
congratulations on your superiority.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.