Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Please Help

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 03:43 AM
dhoneybear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please Help

My friend who is 79 years of age has Focus Whistler2 Ebike, with the groovego 250w and Befang rear wheel drive hub.
Problem is The whistler2 does not have a handlebar controller.So any switching on/off and mode control has to be done from the battery which is located on the seat post down tube and, modes( eco/tour/sport) can only be selected when the bike is stationary.
Not an ideal situation. So the question is Can we install a handlebar controller that would give, on/off and the modes instead of stopping the bike all the time.I have seen the Handle bar controllers on Ebay.So another question would be, Which is a half decent one as my friend has not got an awful lot of money.Would really appreciate any drawing or youtube on install.
I thank you all in advance
Old 04-06-20, 09:37 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I think you are out of luck, if looking for something simple. If this is your friend's bike, it sure is an awkward design. Whoever sold it to a 79 year old man ought to pay the difference for a different bike. On the other hand, maybe your friend wanted something that was simple.

Even their 2019 model requires hands off the bars.

A handlebar control is a job for an electrically skilled person. It 's possible to open up the bike, study the existing electronics and wire in an equivalent handlebar control, but it's not something described over the internet. You'll need to find a local expert that will do it just for the challenge. . Try a local ebike forum. Maybe this one?
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/for...-discussion.2/
Old 04-06-20, 10:27 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by dhoneybear
My friend who is 79 years of age has Focus Whistler2 Ebike, with the groovego 250w and Befang rear wheel drive hub.
Problem is The whistler2 does not have a handlebar controller.So any switching on/off and mode control has to be done from the battery which is located on the seat post down tube and, modes( eco/tour/sport) can only be selected when the bike is stationary.
Not an ideal situation. So the question is Can we install a handlebar controller that would give, on/off and the modes instead of stopping the bike all the time.I have seen the Handle bar controllers on Ebay.So another question would be, Which is a half decent one as my friend has not got an awful lot of money.Would really appreciate any drawing or youtube on install.
I thank you all in advance
I've done some research on the Groove Go system controlling your friends bike. I see no indication that you can only change power modes except at standstill. The only time you must be at standstill is when first turning on the system. As I understand it, when powered up (one short press) the display turns green. Once powered up, more short presses of the power button cycles between the power levels, the display color also changes to blue. Too long a press of the power button (>4s) will shut down the system. I agree with the other poster that it is unlikely that a handlebar controller could be retrofitted to this system.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 04-06-20 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-06-20, 10:45 AM
dhoneybear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I've done some research on the Groove Go system controling your friends bike. I see no indication that you can only change power modes except at standstill. As I understand it, when powered up (long press) the display turns green. Once powered up, short presses change the display to blue, and it then cycles between the power levels. Too long a press of the power button will shut down the system. I agree with the other poster that it is unlikely that a handlebar controller could be retrofitted to this system.
Than you for your replies' found this bit really Interesting"Once powered up, short presses change the display to blue, and it then cycles between the power levels" Is this some sort of automated power level thing going from, eco to sport as the rider needs more power or less power.
I hope so if we cant fit handlebar device.
Old 04-06-20, 11:20 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
No, it is not an automated process. The rider decides how much power they need and pushes the power button appropriately. I admit it isn't the most elegant way of doing it but a rider should be able to take one hand away from the handgrip and press a button on the control panel which is right at the front of the top tube. There is only the one button. No confusion between multiple buttons. The sequence of power levels is fixed so once it's learned the rider should not even need to look at the display.
Old 04-07-20, 01:07 PM
dhoneybear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once again thanks for the reply, I have also emailed Befang ,but to be honest I think our options are to live with this problem or bite the bullet and see if we can find a decent 2nd hand one. Just as a point this particular model Focus is still for sale new at £750 down from £1300.With the new model having Bosh mid drive and Purion Display.
Old 04-07-20, 02:16 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Which one did you get? Is like the red one in the photo? That's rideable. I

While I've never seen either of those Focus bikes, It is quite common to change pedal assist options while riding on ebikes, No need to even stop pedaling. I would find it surprising if you had to stop riding with the red battery. With the black, there's no way I could reach those controls while moving, and I would crash for sure. So let's hope your friend can reach dowm and change a button wile still keeping eyes on the road.
Old 04-08-20, 03:53 AM
dhoneybear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish it was that simple.On the euro model the On/Off switch and modes are on the battery holder which is located on the seat post down tube( top Picture). Not at all like the Red one in the photo,which is a much better idea. Unfortunately I am not allowed to post a picture yet. Until I have 10 posts

Last edited by dhoneybear; 04-08-20 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-11-20, 03:51 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
Just a suggestion:

Open the battery case (preferably by someone with some electronics knowledge and with CAUTION) to see if it is possible to add an external momentary contact switch in parallel with the one on the case. If this can be done the external switch will just duplicate the action of the original.

If so, then simply run a wire to a convenient spot on the bars and add some sort of momentary contact switch. I believe there are cable mounted pushbutton switch assemblies readily available, you may just have to be innovative about mounting, etc.

This may provide a simple and low-cost solution to your problem.
Old 04-12-20, 08:11 AM
dhoneybear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNebiker
Just a suggestion:

Open the battery case (preferably by someone with some electronics knowledge and with CAUTION) to see if it is possible to add an external momentary contact switch in parallel with the one on the case. If this can be done the external switch will just duplicate the action of the original.

If so, then simply run a wire to a convenient spot on the bars and add some sort of momentary contact switch. I believe there are cable mounted pushbutton switch assemblies readily available, you may just have to be innovative about mounting, etc.

This may provide a simple and low-cost solution to your problem.
Thankyou for the reply unfortunately we are under lockdown in the UK,But I know what are saying to run a suitable wire from the on/off switch to the handlebars switch.