Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Wish I could use this as a tourer!

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 07:56 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts

Picked up a Poseidon X Ambition. For under $700 it’s a great bike and one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve ridden. But still I feel it’s kinda cheap, I don’t trust the wheels and I’m not sure the full carbon fork would handle the weight. I could see upgrading the wheels but not sure what to do about the fork.
Old 01-23-24, 07:54 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I looked up the bike. I don't see a problem with it
Old 01-23-24, 09:04 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I'd tour on it. I tour real light, so I would definitely not be too concered about either the wheels or the fork. I think it would be fine for folks who toured with moderate loads too. If you want a real pack horse to carry really heavy loads maybe you might want something else, but personally I find more joy in keeping the load down and having a nice relatively unladen ride regardless or terrain or trip length.

Looks like a pretty nice bike for the price.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 01-23-24, 09:06 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Picked up a Poseidon X Ambition. For under $700 it’s a great bike and one of the most comfortable bikes I’ve ridden. But still I feel it’s kinda cheap, I don’t trust the wheels and I’m not sure the full carbon fork would handle the weight. I could see upgrading the wheels but not sure what to do about the fork.
I too looked it up and the fork has 2 mounting holes, is rated to 3.5 lbs per fork leg, so if you stay within that limit, it will be fine as it is designed for this, plus you could put a handlebar roll on also. It has mounts for a rear rack also, and the gearing is reasonably low also.
Wheels are 32 spoke and Im sure are regular old mid quality wheels, but again- if reasonable with weight they probably will be ok, depends on your body weight also.
Riding it for a while and then paying a good wheel mechanic to go over your wheels and properly tension them will go a long way to keeping wheel integrity.

how about you give us an idea of how much stuff you'd put on it, how youd do this and how much you weigh. If you weigh 250 that might be a diff matter.
Old 01-23-24, 09:17 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
I’m 185lbs, my last tours were done on a LHT so I carried everything. I’ve been considering leaving more at home and touring with less gear. I figured out quick that most of the things you think you need end up not being used. I was thinking the front fork bags could be used for a couple extra shorts and shirts and put the tent and heavier items on the back.
Old 01-23-24, 10:13 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
Using an Old Man Mountain rack that can be attached at the axle, would increase your load carrying ability.
Old 01-23-24, 10:18 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
those bikes are a bargain. I think you can find a way to tour on it.
Old 01-23-24, 11:55 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
the gearing is about 23-94 gear inches, so I'd compare this to your LHT and figure out if you'd need lower gearing for what you would carry. I personally would want a bit lower, but then I'd also want a double to get a wider range.
Also, the cassette 10 spd of 11-46 or 48 has some pretty big jumps in there percentage wise. Again, up to you to know if that would bug you or not. It would me.
The gearing could work for you if you went rather light, but again, thats up to you to see for you how it is.
Old 01-23-24, 11:58 AM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar

what is it?
Old 01-23-24, 12:40 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Get a second, steel, fork, and use that when you tour. Front-loading the weight is a good option.

Or get a third-wheel type trailer.
Old 01-23-24, 12:51 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I don't see a single thing you need to change on that bike, except if you plan on touring in very hilly areas, switching out for a smaller chainring.

Solo tour under one month duration, two rear panniers and a saddle or handlebar bag will do. Nothing needed on the forks.
Old 01-23-24, 01:34 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the fork. Koga-Miyata is one of the most respected manufacturers of touring bikes in Europe. Their mid-level touring bikes have either aluminum or carbon forks. No steel. Their trekking bikes (i.e., their heaviest-duty touring bikes) have aluminum forks. No steel.
Old 01-23-24, 01:54 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 275 Posts
I looked it up also. It is a gravel bike. It is not designed for touring with racks and panniers. It is designed for bikepacking with mostly frame mounted bags. This is why there are more frame mounts for water bottles and other accessories. You can put racks on it and use it that way. I wouldn't trust that fork for a touring rack and panniers.