Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

GR14 (Valldolid > Porto)

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

GR14 (Valldolid > Porto)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-24, 06:21 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
GR14 (Valladolid > Porto)

axolotl suggested that I ride across the Douro region. One possibility would be to follow the GR14, which seems to be a multi-purpose trail under development. This wikipedia entry suggests partial markings; OTOH Trailforks plots the entire route (but for the life of me, I can't find a "download gpx" button!).

My currently planned route looks like this. If you know something about the segment west of Valladolid, please share :}

Last edited by gauvins; 02-01-24 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 08:17 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
axolotl suggested that I ride across the Douro region.

My currently planned route looks like this. If you know something about the segment west of Valladolid, please share :}
After Valladolid and Zamora you get to Pocinho where the train route to Porto starts through the Douro valley. The train stations connect the dots for a bike route.

edit: There’s a campsite in Mogadouro between Zamora and Pocinho that cost €3.50!
https://www.mogadouro.pt/pages/549?poi_id=47

Last edited by imi; 02-01-24 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-01-24, 08:27 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Do you mean that there's a bike route alongside the track?
Old 02-01-24, 09:03 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Originally Posted by gauvins
Do you mean that there's a bike route alongside the track?
No, just as a general idea of the route through the Douro valley at least as far as Mosteiro

Last edited by imi; 02-01-24 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-02-24, 02:41 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
I've ridden from Salamanca to Porto, crossing the border around Saucelle and roughly following the Douro valley to the ocean. Don't remember my exact route, you go up and down from the hills into the valley and back as there is no continuous road along the river. There's a lot of climbing involved, all that you can see on the map of course. In the east, it's a fantastic trip, scenery, villages... but it gets less interesting the further west you go. I remember being disappointed about the greater Porto region (not the city itself): densely populated, at times hectic traffic even on the smaller roads to the point that it got stressful (witnessed a few car crashes). So if it were me I'd turn south about halfway the Douro valley (say Vila Nova de Foz) and head in SW direction through the Sierra de Estrela national park and 'old' countryside, which is really lovely in Portugal. Best part along the ocean IMO is under Lissabon anyway, SW Alentejo NP (look up rota vicentina).
Old 02-02-24, 03:21 AM
imi
aka Timi

^^^ Good advice from CMAW 👍