Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Report Thread 2009-2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 06:46 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice win and a nicer gesture, RacerEx.
Old 05-16-11, 07:12 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by timster
Poolesville Road Race 1/2/3

good - I set new power records for every time interval from 20 mins - 1 hour

bad - I got dropped on lap 3 of 7 and never caught back on

ugly - I got pulled at the end of lap 4
not ugly, just character building. that was a hard race.
Old 05-16-11, 07:46 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by miwoodar
First race as a Cat3. Hugo Road Race. 13th place in a sketchy pack sprint.

Nice to race (err, ride) with you Chris. I too am surprised at how fast it was given the perceived effort. I am wondering what might have happened had I bridged to you and the CU guy at the start. Gutsy move BTW. From my vantage point that was probably the most promising move in the race. All other moves were either write-offs or never fully formed. It seemed that people were hyper-sensitive to the echelon. I took a touch of extra wind most of the race hoping to get in one myself.
the break from the gun was really just supposed to be a warmup for me. it wasnt CU,
it was cressey from psimet, whos probably the strongest sprinter in cat3 this year, and petrowski from prima, who's a new 3 i raced with last year whos a pretty impressive a strongman/climber type (finished 8th at gila). between those two being just stong, aggressive mofos and me being one of the best TTer in the race yesterday, there was no way they were gonna give us an inch. heh.

cressey jumped right from the guy and we followed him, i didnt really think much of it, but it did sorta play out the way the whole day played out, and this isnt me pointing fingers cuz i think i did it too, but nobody really committed to their attacks for long enough to make them stick.

every break attempt i got in, we'd drill it for like 1-3 minutes and turn around, not see as much gap as we wanted, and give up. a day like that, flat and windy, we really needed a few more people and a bit more of a committment, and a little tactical savvy: tight fast echelon and gutter anyone who tried to sit in. 10-15 minutes of that sort of coordinated effort coulda made all the difference.

Last edited by badhat; 05-16-11 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-16-11, 09:12 AM
JohnKScott

Bikes: It has two wheels

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VT Biker
Hugo - OTB at mile 68 out of 78. Pace picked up to chase two riders in a break. I just had nothing left.

I will start posting race reports again once I actually have a chance at winning a race. Pack fodder reports should be housed in another thread. See you guys later.
Pish posh! I like reading both the winning and the non-winning reports. I can learn from both.
Old 05-16-11, 09:50 AM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
the break from the gun was really just supposed to be a warmup for me. it wasnt CU,
it was cressey from psimet, whos probably the strongest sprinter in cat3 this year, and petrowski from prima, who's a new 3 i raced with last year whos a pretty impressive a strongman/climber type (finished 8th at gila). between those two being just stong, aggressive mofos and me being one of the best TTer in the race yesterday, there was no way they were gonna give us an inch. heh.

cressey jumped right from the guy and we followed him, i didnt really think much of it, but it did sorta play out the way the whole day played out, and this isnt me pointing fingers cuz i think i did it too, but nobody really committed to their attacks for long enough to make them stick.

every break attempt i got in, we'd drill it for like 1-3 minutes and turn around, not see as much gap as we wanted, and give up. a day like that, flat and windy, we really needed a few more people and a bit more of a committment, and a little tactical savvy: tight fast echelon and gutter anyone who tried to sit in. 10-15 minutes of that sort of coordinated effort coulda made all the difference.
The thing about Nick Cressey is he races with a toothpick, which he alternates from holding it in his mouth to putting it in his bib-short legs for when he wants it again. I am not sure what the deal is with the toothpick, but on a training ride I asked him about the risk of inhaling a sharp wood object. He seemed unfazed by that concern.

He told me his goal this year was to break Tom Danielson's record on Lookout Mountain. He has about two minutes to improve to do that. Has never owned a car, does not have a license, and had ridden his bike his entire life. Interesting guy. However, the front range will be losing him soon, as he is moving back East in August.
Old 05-16-11, 10:04 AM
badhat
impressive member

Bikes: c'dale supersix, jamis trilogy, spec. tricross

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ha ha thats hilarious, the toothpick thing.

hes an oddball for sure. ive raced with him a fair amount but cant say i've ever really chatted with him off bike. seems like a good dude though.

sorry to hear he's leaving. hes definitely a fun guy to race with and keeps it lively and has good instincts. the fact that he found his way to the front of the traffic jam saturday when a lot of the other good finishers got mucked up says it all.
Old 05-16-11, 10:18 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I ran a race this weekend. The Chicago community came out and supported it. I don't think it lost money. I will be able to cut a check back to the community as well as Big Brothers Big Sisters of McHenry County. Win-Win. Now...back to wheels.

Old 05-16-11, 10:39 AM
2005trek1200
BALM Co.

Bikes: 2010 Aerocat rR350, 2010 Aerocat R750, 2014 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Bianchi Trofeo, 2013 Trek Ion Pro CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I ran a race this weekend. The Chicago community came out and supported it. I don't think it lost money. I will be able to cut a check back to the community as well as Big Brothers Big Sisters of McHenry County. Win-Win. Now...back to wheels.
Damn, i cant believe you broke even. way to make it happen boss. My legs were at Uni-Hill, but my heart was at FRG on sunday..
Old 05-16-11, 10:58 AM
chicagogal

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Glad to hear that it worked out for you. The weather was terrible yesterday, and when I opted to train indoors instead of race, I was kinda worried about you/FRG. Glad to hear that there are tougher chicago-area cyclist than me who braved the elements to race. I am kinda sad that I missed it. I like hills.
Old 05-16-11, 11:08 AM
graphs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rbart4506
Much better day in the saddle...

Racing at the Bike the Bruce, about 3 hours north of Dundas...Weather forecast was for chilly temps, wind and rain...We got lucky, no rain...Winds were in the 30-40km neighbourhood...

The pack was getting smacked around pretty good by the wind and I made sure to stay protected. I was able to handle the surges and keep on good wheels. Still not at the point to make things happen, but am learning more about positioning and gaining confidence. In the end I was able to hang on until the last 1km or so. At that point the guys really hit it and I just didn't have the top end to handle the move. Also, I think I had already made up my mind at this point that messing around with the sprint was not for me...So attacking was not on my mind...

Legs were feeling good this week. The 10 days in Georgia were lots of fun, but that time took it's toll on me. Took a good month to get it back...

Let's see how things go next week!
I was there too! You were in the M3 group, yeah? I was just behind you in the Elite 4 group.

I was feeling pretty great but had a mechanical issue just after the first climb (chain started rubbing like crazy on the front derailleur). Had to stop and get off my bike to bend my FD back and then spent the next 20k or so just killing myself to bridge up to the peloton. It was easily the hardest effort I've ever done in a bike race but totally worth it because I made it back and managed to recover enough to hang on for 6th place. Pretty proud of myself for keeping on even though catching up seemed hopeless.

rbart, will you be at Nith River?
Old 05-16-11, 11:26 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Wenatchee Omnium race report: DFL, DNF, DNS (tt, crit, rr)

Teh suck.

But I'll live to fight another day..

my race videos
Old 05-16-11, 11:34 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wenatchee -

TT- Hard
Crit - Fantastic
RR - Expected

I'm tired of the team leaving blood in the sheets when we check out of hotels at SRs...
this weekend was yet another.
Old 05-16-11, 12:48 PM
rbart4506
You blink and it's gone.

Bikes: Race bike, training bike, go fast bike and a trainer slave.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by graphs
I was there too! You were in the M3 group, yeah? I was just behind you in the Elite 4 group.

I was feeling pretty great but had a mechanical issue just after the first climb (chain started rubbing like crazy on the front derailleur). Had to stop and get off my bike to bend my FD back and then spent the next 20k or so just killing myself to bridge up to the peloton. It was easily the hardest effort I've ever done in a bike race but totally worth it because I made it back and managed to recover enough to hang on for 6th place. Pretty proud of myself for keeping on even though catching up seemed hopeless.

rbart, will you be at Nith River?
Nice work bridging back in! With the wind that must have been killer...I know that when we were heading back towards the start finish we were clicking along in the 40-50km\h range...Going out was a different story

Yup, heading to Nith....I think the only O-Cup I'll miss is the Windsor crit...Not going to drive 4 hours to get my ass spit out the back after 30mins...I think there's a local Master's race I'll do that weekend instead...
Old 05-16-11, 01:25 PM
graphs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I don't know if I'll make that one either. Mostly focussing on just road races this year, though I'll probably do the Toronto Crit and maybe the Nationals crit now that it's moved to the CHIN picnic.

Say hi if you get a chance! I'll be in a Darkhorse Flyers jersey on a grey + red Cervelo.
Old 05-16-11, 01:38 PM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat
ha ha thats hilarious, the toothpick thing.

hes an oddball for sure. ive raced with him a fair amount but cant say i've ever really chatted with him off bike. seems like a good dude though.

sorry to hear he's leaving. hes definitely a fun guy to race with and keeps it lively and has good instincts. the fact that he found his way to the front of the traffic jam saturday when a lot of the other good finishers got mucked up says it all.

He wants to eventually turn pro, and I really hope he get the opportunity. He is quite a talent and a decent guy. I really hope he gets his chance in the next few years. It is a tough haul to get the attention of some of the domestic pro-level teams.

Funny story - he was telling me about his cross season last year as a 4. Raced three times on an old steel cross bike. The third race was the State championships. He started dead last due to the lottery for selecting the placings, in 80-something position. Ended up 3rd.
Old 05-16-11, 02:29 PM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
Glad to hear that it worked out for you. The weather was terrible yesterday, and when I opted to train indoors instead of race, I was kinda worried about you/FRG. Glad to hear that there are tougher chicago-area cyclist than me who braved the elements to race. I am kinda sad that I missed it. I like hills.
actually, the weather wasnt a factor at all. great day of racing and excellent job PSIMET & team. later.
Old 05-16-11, 02:35 PM
forrest_m

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Wenatchee Omnium race report: DFL, DNF, DNS (tt, crit, rr)

Teh suck.

But I'll live to fight another day..
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
Wenatchee -

TT- Hard
Crit - Fantastic
RR - Expected

I'm tired of the team leaving blood in the sheets when we check out of hotels at SRs...
this weekend was yet another.
Matt - sorry to hear it didn't go well. Did you crash? I have a perverse liking for that crit, even though the course is maybe the scariest of the year (downhill into a corner with a huge manhole right in the middle of the best line and a giant loading dock sticking into the course on the outside)...

Ian - does "expected" mean "faded somewhere in the middle of the huge climb?" That's what always happens to me, anyway. That race is more of a mass-start hill climb than your typical RR anyway...
Old 05-16-11, 03:00 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ironically, matt is typically the king of placing really well in crits...
I have always hated crits, but I really loved that one... it was grand (it helped that I rode fantastically)

Last year I was a climber extraordinaire, horrible at TTs&crits. This year I haven't been training, and while I am always there when the select group forms and rolls away, I don't have the climbing power to be there for the long climbs ... I've got 25', 30' of climbing, I get popped a bit before the fast descent. death either way. On both the WW rolling loop (2010's Friday course) & Wenatchee's course (usual beating stick) the length of the climbs are just more than my legs can handle right now.
I think I'm out for Enumclaw - no need to spend the gas/hotel/food money to find out that I can top 10 the TT, ride top 10 wheels the whole way in the crit, make.and.then.lose the select group in the RR.

time to ride track, ride crits, and think about the circuit races at the end of the year.

Last edited by Hida Yanra; 05-16-11 at 03:41 PM. Reason: user request
Old 05-16-11, 03:10 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aham23
actually, the weather wasnt a factor at all. great day of racing and excellent job PSIMET & team. later.
Was it windy?
Old 05-16-11, 03:30 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
ironically, matt is typically the king of not working in crits and placing really well...
I wish doing well in crits was "not working" - I would say it's more about knowing when to work and when not to.. and also about being in the right position so that you do less work than the other guy.

he went down once by T3 onto the uphill, and into the side of the brick building at the bottom of the T2 in the crit. Will heal - but is scratched up pretty well.
To clarify, it was super wet/had just started raining when we went off, and 10 mins into the crit I hit corner 3 too hard and my front wheel just washed out.. I think it was on a paint strip/cross walk. As far as wrecks go it was pretty tame, kinda like sliding into second base except this was on concrete - though a few others guys went down too.. (sorry!)

Took a free lap and got back in - with bleeding leg/elbow, and obviously a tad shaken - and going into turn one, I felt like my wheels weren't sticking to the road, at all. That or my steering wasn't working, it felt like I was trying to steer into the turn but the bike was only slightly going that way.. not a good feeling in a rainy crit.

So coming into turn two (down the 5% grade), I couldn't hold my line (as they say) and I ended up taking it waaaay wide, drifting so far out to the left that I actually ran into/skimmed the wall! (but didn't actually go down a second time, for the record!). My left glove has three holes in it where my knuckles ground into the concrete wall, as well as my knuckles/arm... it was a miracle I didn't go down that time! I left some skin in Wenatchee this weekend, that's for sure.

After that I'd had enough and just pulled out. Which was best as my derailleur & hanger were bent out of alignment anyway, also why I DNSd the RR the next day.

That's racing, I guess. Sometimes it's not so much fun, but it will make the fun times that much more enjoyable..

Coming from a 3rd place at Seward on Thursday to a crash/DNF on Saturday, is quite the roller coaster!!

I've never been scared of rainy crits but I can feel it creeping on... trying to fight off that fear and just roll with it, but with the figure-8 course at the 'Claw this weekend I'm hesitant to get back in there... we'll see.

my race videos
Old 05-16-11, 03:42 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
there - sanitized my posts, eh?
;-)

heal up soon!
Old 05-16-11, 04:04 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by chicagogal
Was it windy?
Not really a factor. That climb is sheltered and the descent wasn't bad. I think there was only 1 maybe 2 minor crashes all day. We never shut down the course for a wreck.

There was no rain. Everyone who was at Monsters on Saturday said we came out better by far as far as the weather was concerned.

Old 05-16-11, 07:47 PM
chicagogal

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Not really a factor. That climb is sheltered and the descent wasn't bad. I think there was only 1 maybe 2 minor crashes all day. We never shut down the course for a wreck.

There was no rain. Everyone who was at Monsters on Saturday said we came out better by far as far as the weather was concerned.
Glad to hear that!!! Of course, now I really feel like I should have come out and raced, and am regretting my decision not to. It was raining here, and very windy, and very cold, such that I ended up training indoors. Racing would have been 1000X more fun!
Old 05-16-11, 10:18 PM
jjgli02
worst hubs on the planet

Bikes: secteur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in Downers Grove for a wedding and I was missing my series race in ohio so I decided to sign up for and race your crit.
I was incredibly impressed by how well supported the race was (especially compared to what I'm used to).
I came from 80 degrees and sunny in Cincinnati so neither me nor my fiancee had warm clothes. She actually got to hang in the ambulance by start/finish to keep warm.
The course was awesome! I definitely should have placed better than mid-pack though, being that a typical hill around here gains 3 times the elevation as the ski hill. Things did seriously splinter up that hill. I had fun though no matter so thanks for a fun race!

(btw I was the guy in orange and blue asking you about results after the 5 race)

Old 05-17-11, 12:33 AM
carlosflanders

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hugo Road Race. Masters 4s.

Amazing how a change in wind direction can turn a hard event into a non-race. Slow? I almost fell off my unicycle!

Only 2-3 of the 70 starters came with any intention of racing. I attacked half a dozen times. A couple others had a go, but the wind was too much. 4-5 organised riders would have blown the race to smithereens.

It was much like as reported above in the other cats, but slower and more clustery.

60+ masters 4s with 80 miles in their legs barrelling down to a sprint finish is a truly scary experience. I wish I had known that the centerline was going to be ignored for the day. Would have saved me the trouble of trying to race.

Anyway, nothing much happened for 76.5 miles. With 2k to go about 30 riders of mixed ability jumped the yellow line and fought it out for the finish. Most of those 30 blew up in the last few hundred yards.

Teamwork for the day consisted of slowing the race whenever possible and jumping the centerline en masse near the end. The few who fought hard into the wind to keep a good position for the finish were shown up to be fools.

Positives: I didn't die, but had a few near death experiences. My legs felt amazing at the end. I was ready for another 80 miles as I coasted across. Only drank 1 bottle.

Last edited by carlosflanders; 05-17-11 at 07:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.