Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-18, 11:18 PM
ItsTimeToBike

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome (original owner),Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Rockhopper FS, Bianchi Pista, Biachi Limited, Bianchi Nuovo Record, Orbea Carpe Diem carbon, Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Tricross, Kabiki Submariner fixed conversion,...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Ross Mt. Hood 1984

Hi all - I'd like to share a finished project. Purchased from original owner 2 yrs. ago and let it simmer till last week. At first sight I was disappointed as it was covered in a film and appeared to have surface rust over its entirety. Seatpost was stuck and discovered it was somehow bent but zero damage to frame. Wheels were mismatched. So we settled on a very reasonable price. I've had experience with many chrome bikes and was looking forward to cleaning it up some day.

While cleaning I discovered Ross really took chrome plating seriously and once clean all the plating was intact with a nice finish.
I sourced a 25.8 fluted post, red Kool Stops (yes they have lots of colors now), chain, pedals, and Maxxis DTH 2.15 tires. I had a like new Mavic X517 wheelset (front XTR rear XT) purchased from an ex pro mtb racer and decided this frame was worthy of them.
This circa 90's wheelset really transformed the bike - huge weight reduction, nice aesthetics, and the updated freewheel allowed for greatly improved shifting. Saddle is vintage Italian that balances the red. I took it out tonight and it was so smooth and quiet and fit perfectly. Its a keeper cruiser. I've always enjoyed looking through the pics in this thread so thought I'd add to it.

Old 06-14-18, 04:11 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsTimeToBike
Hi all - I'd like to share a finished project. Purchased from original owner 2 yrs. ago and let it simmer till last week. At first sight I was disappointed as it was covered in a film and appeared to have surface rust over its entirety. Seatpost was stuck and discovered it was somehow bent but zero damage to frame. Wheels were mismatched. So we settled on a very reasonable price. I've had experience with many chrome bikes and was looking forward to cleaning it up some day.

While cleaning I discovered Ross really took chrome plating seriously and once clean all the plating was intact with a nice finish.
I sourced a 25.8 fluted post, red Kool Stops (yes they have lots of colors now), chain, pedals, and Maxxis DTH 2.15 tires. I had a like new Mavic X517 wheelset (front XTR rear XT) purchased from an ex pro mtb racer and decided this frame was worthy of them.
This circa 90's wheelset really transformed the bike - huge weight reduction, nice aesthetics, and the updated freewheel allowed for greatly improved shifting. Saddle is vintage Italian that balances the red. I took it out tonight and it was so smooth and quiet and fit perfectly. Its a keeper cruiser. I've always enjoyed looking through the pics in this thread so thought I'd add to it.

That is AMAZING!!!!

It looks fantastic, classy and badass all in one! Congratulations!

Chrome bikes Dominate!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 06-14-18, 07:20 AM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts

I like it.
Old 06-14-18, 01:25 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Nice Ross. Very nice. Love those tires on it.

Can't stand the saddle though. I'd be going for a Brooks on a mid 80s MTB but to each their own!
Old 06-14-18, 02:28 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by fleslider
Just found this guy. A Meridia made 1986 Trek 850. its in great shape and just needed some tlc.

interesting enough is the color Yellow/Blue not in the catalog, not sure what happened there..

Suntour XC Sport Components with a Roller Cam rear Brake and the coveted Specialized Cranks.

I have it torn down to a frame and am cleaning up and reassemble

All the bits released of their 32 years of gunk
Interesting - that's the exact same color scheme of my 1987 800 Antelope. The catalog for that year does not show yellow as an option for the 850 but it does specify the rear brakes where yours are.

Old 06-14-18, 06:55 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

I like it. What is the rear spacing, and what was it like getting that 135mm (?) hub in?
Old 06-14-18, 07:50 PM
ItsTimeToBike

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur 11.8 Chrome (original owner),Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Rockhopper FS, Bianchi Pista, Biachi Limited, Bianchi Nuovo Record, Orbea Carpe Diem carbon, Long Haul Trucker, Specialized Tricross, Kabiki Submariner fixed conversion,...

Originally Posted by belacqua
I like it. What is the rear spacing, and what was it like getting that 135mm (?) hub in?
It only took minor spreading while I installed the rear wheel -
Old 06-14-18, 07:53 PM
belacqua

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
It only took minor spreading while I installed the rear wheel -
Thanks for the input. If I remember correctly my '87 Mongoose ATB is 126mm and I am thinking about what my wheel options might be. I put a Parallax hub in my '86 Cimarron and it works well, but I think all the Cimarrons were 130mm. Anyway awesome Mt. Hood.
Old 06-14-18, 08:00 PM
ItsTimeToBike

Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Nice Ross. Very nice. Love those tires on it.

Can't stand the saddle though. I'd be going for a Brooks on a mid 80s MTB but to each their own!
I get that, I was debating - I have three nice vintage Brooks tucked away but reached for this one, and its sort of growing on me with a kind of BMX vibe.
Plus I knew it fit me better than a Brooks.
Old 06-14-18, 09:13 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Sweet build @ItsTimeToBike just gorgeous.
Old 06-15-18, 08:20 AM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Plus I knew it fit me better than a Brooks.
Definitely more important than looks.^
Old 06-15-18, 10:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts

When it rains Ross MTB, it pours, i guess.
just realized I hadn't posted this up yet.

I pulled the rough decals and single speeded a chrome Ross Mt Hood frameset I bought last fall off the forum.
most parts were from my garage- some trap pedals, wheelset off a trashed 90s Gary Fisher, cobbled together crankset, etc. New 2.35" tires, a brooks saddle, and bars.

cool feature is both bottle holders are inline on the downtube.

wont get much use, most likely just short rides around the neighborhood with my youngest.
Old 06-17-18, 12:05 PM
ItsTimeToBike

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
That is AMAZING!!!!

It looks fantastic, classy and badass all in one! Congratulations!

Chrome bikes Dominate!
Thanks so much for the comment - we're fortunate to have many diverse bike trails in the area, and they're currently building one across the street that goes along the lake.
I hope to be one of the first to ride it later this season - on my Ross.
Old 06-18-18, 05:21 PM
grasscutter
Come on, 5 more minutes..

Bikes: At last count... 31. 11-19-22.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
90's BMW fold'r

As found: $20. Local Thrift store.
Tag on it read "needs gear work'. One of the gripshift shifters had come off. Literally a 15 sec fix.
Few minor adjustments and it rides great.
Needs nothing but a good detailing.

Old 06-18-18, 05:46 PM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
I give up - You win .
A Montague folder....... for 20 bucks.........in the thrift store, for cryin' out loud ............

Exits mumbling to himself .........
Old 06-19-18, 11:31 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Amazing!
Old 06-25-18, 12:41 PM
grasscutter
Come on, 5 more minutes..

Bikes: At last count... 31. 11-19-22.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
Quick story:

G/F has an online re-sale business specializing in vintage bags, luggage, briefcases, etc.
While shopping at a local thrift store, she sends me a text & pic:
Her: so you want this? Been here a couple days.
Me: YES
Her: You sure? It doesn't look very good, and says needs repairs.
Me YES.
Her: Do you want more pics? It kinda looks like the rest of your older mountain bikes.
ME No more pics needed. Just go get it!!

She walks back to where the bike is and rolls it up to front counter.
Counter clerk kind of knows her as a regular, and says 'oh, I see it has a repair tag on it. We'll take $20. (was a whopping $25)

I usually only find 1 good steal a year, thats worthy of posting here... guess remainder of my year is gonna be dry...
Old 06-25-18, 01:03 PM
potion

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 2 Posts

Thank dirty dusty nasty LA for the patina, my favorite bike I've had the longest, beer getting and bar crawler - it has had bullmoose, road drops and risers on it but these nitto albatross are by far the best feeling

I love how the chainstays meet the BB like that, i think the seatpost cost as much as the whole bike when i got it. I got the REAL brake levers and the xtr/mavic wheelset off a completely rusted and blown out bontrager that was in the garbage...
I've never seen another one of these saddles before though, its comfortable but noticeably cheaper feeling than any brooks i've had.

love this thread, keep it goin
Old 06-25-18, 01:10 PM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
1990 Schwinn Impact

1x8, 36-spoke wheels, v-brakes, friction shifting, Velo Orange B17 copy.
Old 06-25-18, 09:04 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts
Some sick looking MTBs on this thread! I've been anxiously waiting to finish some builds to post up. Here goes!

Perfect timing for another '84-ish Ross Mt Hood!

Built from frame/wheelset up: mostly early 90's Deore DX, except for the AT50 canti's. It's a bit small for me, but I'm considering some Bosco Bullmoose bars to address that.

My current favorite "rough stuff" bike in beta-test mode for bike camping, an '83 Stumpjumper Sport:

Old 06-26-18, 08:04 AM
Ballenxj

Originally Posted by mountaindave
Some sick looking MTBs on this thread! I've been anxiously waiting to finish some builds to post up. Here goes!

Built from frame/wheelset up: mostly early 90's Deore DX, except for the AT50 canti's. It's a bit small for me, but I'm considering some Bosco Bullmoose bars to address that.

My current favorite "rough stuff" bike in beta-test mode for bike camping, an '83 Stumpjumper Sport:
Nice looking Bikes. That Ross is a real looker, and I hadn't paid enough attention to them in the past. Curious, do you plan on putting a rack on the back of your Stump Jumper, or do you prefer front load only? Reason I ask is I started with a back rack and trunk on my Diamond Back that I plan to use for commuting a bit.
Old 06-26-18, 10:50 AM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked 992 Times in 491 Posts

Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Nice looking Bikes. That Ross is a real looker, and I hadn't paid enough attention to them in the past. Curious, do you plan on putting a rack on the back of your Stump Jumper, or do you prefer front load only? Reason I ask is I started with a back rack and trunk on my Diamond Back that I plan to use for commuting a bit.
Thanks!

The first iteration was set up with a rear rack (seen somewhere in this post?). I didn’t like the tail-wagging-the-dog effect when fully loaded. I much prefer the front lowrider setup. It still needs refining (clips aren’t ideally positioned, the bags are too low and strike the ground too often, mid-fork P-clips aren’t ideal) but I’m really enjoying this setup. I got everything I needed in those bags and still had room on the top rack. I was worried that the high trail geometry would be unstable, but it hasn’t been an issue at all, in fact I think it handles a little better.
Old 06-26-18, 03:09 PM
Ballenxj

The first iteration was set up with a rear rack (seen somewhere in this post?). I didn’t like the tail-wagging-the-dog effect when fully loaded. I much prefer the front lowrider setup. It still needs refining (clips aren’t ideally positioned, the bags are too low and strike the ground too often, mid-fork P-clips aren’t ideal) but I’m really enjoying this setup. I got everything I needed in those bags and still had room on the top rack. I was worried that the high trail geometry would be unstable, but it hasn’t been an issue at all, in fact I think it handles a little better.
Thanks for your input.
Old 06-26-18, 05:46 PM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
My 1985 Cannondale SM600. 24"/26".When I switched to the SR Litage fork, I couldn't use the Rollercams anymore. I put on Pedersen SE brakes. I made some other changes - Bullseye cranks, Kestrel straight bar, replaced nutted axles with QR. I built this when I worked at a bike shop on LI NY. It still rides great! This pic was from a while ago - so still the same except for new tires.

Old 07-01-18, 08:38 PM
ItsTimeToBike

Nicely done on both rigs - Those vintage ATB/MTB's are versatile and I see you're taking full advantage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.