Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Normandy Lux Competition Hubs opinion

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-18, 02:07 AM
Cycologist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

I have been using these hubs since they are standard on my 60-70's Peugeot PX10's. But was wondering how good are these hubs actually. I took my new 71 PX10 with Normandy L. Competition hubs laced to a Mavic E tubular rims out for a ride and was so impressed with the ride. Also impressive was the smoothness and the amount of speed I was able to generate.

It got me thinking what hubs and rims would Eddy Merckx raced with the PX10. I always assumed that the Campagnolo Record hub was a superior hub when compared to the Normandy Lux. Comp. I'm using both the red and gold label and can't tell a difference.

Was the Normandy Lux. Comp equivalent to the Tipo Nuevo hubs? And was the Campagnolo Record hub of same year far superior?
Old 11-29-18, 02:33 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I'd say that Competitions are nicer than Tipo hubs, but not as nice as Campy Record hubs. No doubt some BF member knows the detailed differences in specifications.

You aren't going to feel the difference from the hubs when you are riding. The mechanical friction is nearly infinitesimal compared to everything else. Better hubs used better materials, fully hardened races, precision bearings, etc. They would as a result last a lot longer and hold up to being ridden massive miles. Campy hubs were also precise enough that they were glass smooth when spun. You could barely feel them turn. Very unusual at the time.
Old 11-29-18, 01:44 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I'd say that Competitions are nicer than Tipo hubs, but not as nice as Campy Record hubs. No doubt some BF member knows the detailed differences in specifications.

You aren't going to feel the difference from the hubs when you are riding. The mechanical friction is nearly infinitesimal compared to everything else. Better hubs used better materials, fully hardened races, precision bearings, etc. They would as a result last a lot longer and hold up to being ridden massive miles. Campy hubs were also precise enough that they were glass smooth when spun. You could barely feel them turn. Very unusual at the time.
---

+1

From what I have been able to make out the Luxe Competition was produced in four generations.

The very earliest ones did not have the oil hole and oil hole clip but did have the relieved flanges. Have only ever seen Rebour drawings of these, never and actual set, either in person or in photos. They were also sold badged as Milremo.

By 1967 the second generation with the oil hole was out, do not know a specific launch date.

The third generation with the gold foil label seemed to launch in ~1970.

The red label fourth generation launched ~1973 and only seemed to enjoy a brief production life.

Suspect Luxe Competition discontinued sometime subsequent to the 1973 launch of the Maillard 700, which ironically was produced by Perrin for Maillard.

-----
Old 11-29-18, 01:59 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Tipo hubs had accurately machined cones, but the cups were stamped and made precise adjustment more hit/miss.

The better Maillard-built hubs seem to feature good machining. The ones with plastic dust shields may require glue to hold the aged/shrunken shields in place.

As with any hubs, the key to long life is leaving enough freeplay in the bearing adjiustment so that the play only disappears as the quick-release lever compresses the axle.
Failure to allow for axle compression will shorten the life of any hub and result in immediate tight and rough turning even before the actual damage sets in.
The other key to long life is preventing water intrusion and keeping the grease from getting too contaminated from use.
Using the right amount of grease allows the balls to rotate free of the bulk of the grease load. Most of the grease gets pushed aside and remains stationary in the hubshell, acting as a barrier to dust and water.

Beware of French-made hubs having "metric" or French freewheel threading. Confirm French threading using a 1mm thread gage, or use a non-Campagnolo standard front or rear axle as a thread gage (observing complete meshing of the threads in front of a lighted background).
Standard (English or Italian) freewheel threading will mesh with a 24tpi gage (or with an English or Italian bottom bracket cup's threads).

Last edited by dddd; 11-29-18 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-30-18, 06:03 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
Do NOT try to remove the dust shields.
Don't ask me how I know that.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 11-30-18, 07:39 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
Do NOT try to remove the dust shields.
Don't ask me how I know that.

lol

yep thems were the first hubs I repacked and most difficult, they are a pain to clean out.
Old 11-30-18, 07:50 AM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts

Needs a photo don’t you think?
Old 11-30-18, 06:50 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
Nice and smooth spinning but if you leave them unattended and the cups go bad...there's no help for these: AFAIK you either can't press old cups out and/or never can find replacement cups even if you could! Too bad that they didn't see the light and make them serviceable as Campy did, there might be a lot more still on the road!
Old 11-30-18, 08:44 PM
Cycologist

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Excellent information from everyone. I was on a quest to find some Record Hubs for the bike but after reading the comments, It doesn't seem like I will achieve much. The Lux is probably what Eddy Merckx had on his PX 10.

The picture above looks fantastic. It's nice to see a polished set. As far as the cups are concerned. Where are the cups. I remember re-lubing these at one point. But what would be the "cup" not to remove.
Old 11-30-18, 09:00 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycologist
Excellent information from everyone. I was on a quest to find some Record Hubs for the bike but after reading the comments, It doesn't seem like I will achieve much. The Lux is probably what Eddy Merckx had on his PX 10.

The picture above looks fantastic. It's nice to see a polished set. As far as the cups are concerned. Where are the cups. I remember re-lubing these at one point. But what would be the "cup" not to remove.
The cups are the steel races pressed inside the hub shell. BITD, most people just tossed campy hubs once the steel races had worn out. It took a very long time if the hubs were properly maintained. They could be replaced if you wanted to go to the trouble. Cones did get replaced regularly.

The dust shields are a different thing entirely. It's the shield over the ball bearings on the outside of the hubs. On campy hubs, it's pretty easy to pop out the dust shield to make cleaning out the old dirty grease and repacking the bearings easier. I prefer to leave them in place, and just stick the end of a rag in there to clean it up. Faster overall, and less chance of denting the shields.
Old 11-30-18, 09:17 PM
Cycologist

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
The cups are the steel races pressed inside the hub shell. BITD, most people just tossed campy hubs once the steel races had worn out. It took a very long time if the hubs were properly maintained. They could be replaced if you wanted to go to the trouble. Cones did get replaced regularly.

The dust shields are a different thing entirely. It's the shield over the ball bearings on the outside of the hubs. On campy hubs, it's pretty easy to pop out the dust shield to make cleaning out the old dirty grease and repacking the bearings easier. I prefer to leave them in place, and just stick the end of a rag in there to clean it up. Faster overall, and less chance of denting the shields.

Good to know. I have a pair I'm getting together for a 1950's PLX10. Although not original to the bike. Finding the original parts are cost prohibitive.