Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Brompton or Tern

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Brompton or Tern

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-19, 06:53 PM
Andy Thousand

Bikes: Brompton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brompton or Tern

I own both a Brompton and a Tern folding bicycle. While I love them both for various reasons, I have been mostly riding the Tern. This is because the Brompton is only a 2-speed and steel.
I ride the Tern all year because it’s made of aluminum and is an 8-speed.
Do any of you own a Brompton or Tern? Do you own both? Which one do you prefer and why?
Old 01-07-19, 11:39 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I own a Brompton and 2 bike Fridays , I ride the BF Llama in the winter rain because it has disc brakes & Dynohub powered LED lights ,

and trekking bars and a grip-shifted 14 speed IGH.. I fitted Mudguards and a front pannier rack and bags.. 1 bag has my Rain Gear in it when I'm not wearing it..
Old 01-07-19, 12:01 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
So steel vs. aluminum....I recently picked up a Dahon Mu Uno and it will be my lock-it-up on the street bike when I go places I can't take my more expensive Bike Friday Pakit indoors, but I think it also will be my wet weather bike. The single speed is easier to clean up after a muddy ride, and the coaster brake is actually pretty good in the rain. Otoh, my Pakit (which is steel) is a much more comfortable ride and the bike I choose for distance or any decent weather rides or rides which require gears. So I think "preference" depends on riding conditions...
Old 01-08-19, 04:25 AM
tmesis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 3 speed Brompton, and had a rebadged Tern.

Tern likes: much better ride on 20 inch wheels, usable gearing

Tern dislikes: heavy weight, clumsy fold, exposed chain when folded, potentially lethal manufacturing defects, unethical company response to manufacturing defects

Brompton likes: compact fold, chain unexposed when folded, luggage options with the carrier block, thoughtful design

Brompton dislikes: heavy weight, slow speed, high gearing, caution required around potholes and curbs due to tiny wheels

I also have a Bike Friday Pakit

Pakit likes: 6-7 lbs lighter than the Brompton, silent belt drive, usable gearing

Pakit dislikes: clumsy fold, inferior luggage options, caution required due to tiny wheels, less thoughtful design, shoddy workmanship

I replaced the Tern with a Brompton because of safety concerns. And despite its downsides, I find my Brompton much more useful for my needs than the Pakit. It's the bike I use the most.

Last edited by tmesis; 01-08-19 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-08-19, 06:12 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
I would own a Brompton, but I want a STOCK configuration that has an 8 speed IGH. It's as simple as that,...no mods!
Old 01-12-19, 10:18 AM
Pahana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
My first folding bike was a Tern Verge X10. It looked like a folding rocket and road great so I thought. After getting on a Brompton there was no comparison. The Brompton felt much more stable underneath me and fit my body perfectly. The Tern felt like there was nothing underneath me and I could never get a good riding position. This of course is all subjective. I finally sold the Tern and became a Brompton worshipper like many on this site . Also I couldn't shake the thought in the back of my mind of the Tern recall even though my bike was not one of them. It was always there playing in my mind and I just decided to move on.
Old 01-12-19, 03:43 PM
plushy gopher
very fluffy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 6-speed Brompton is totally fine, except for the non-standard wheel (= tire) size and the problem that you'll have vendor lock-in which, depending on how much you use the bike, will cost you a lot over the years.
Old 01-12-19, 08:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Nope

Originally Posted by tds101
I would own a Brompton, but I want a STOCK configuration that has an 8 speed IGH. It's as simple as that,...no mods!
you want a Bike Friday Pack It or a Dahon then to get the 8 speed.. Brompron, Factory Stock will only sell you what they make 1,2,3,6 not 8..

Their dealer in Glasgow Scotland will ship you a bike modified and shipped by them to use rear hubs not offered by the company themselves ..

don't cry over this.. if you don't get your way
Old 01-12-19, 10:54 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Pahana
My first folding bike was a Tern Verge X10. It looked like a folding rocket and road great so I thought. After getting on a Brompton there was no comparison. The Brompton felt much more stable underneath me and fit my body perfectly. The Tern felt like there was nothing underneath me and I could never get a good riding position. This of course is all subjective. I finally sold the Tern and became a Brompton worshipper like many on this site . Also I couldn't shake the thought in the back of my mind of the Tern recall even though my bike was not one of them. It was always there playing in my mind and I just decided to move on.
Tern Verge X10 (forward position rocket built for speed) vs Brompton (upright city bike)... seems like a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, that one
Old 01-13-19, 03:19 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by plushy gopher
The 6-speed Brompton is totally fine, except for the non-standard wheel (= tire) size
The Brompton uses 349 tires which are a standard size.Just a different one than 406. Over all the years of using a Brompton I did not recognize this as a problem in practice. What is in your opinion a "standard size" and why? And in which sense is ETRO 349 a Problem (which then obviously also affects all Bikes with 349 wheels)?

Originally Posted by plushy gopher
and the problem that you'll have vendor lock-in which, depending on how much you use the bike, will cost you a lot over the years.
Could you explain that a little further please? In which sense would a Brompton cost you a lot over the years due to "vendor lock in", especially in comparison to other folders?
Old 01-14-19, 12:04 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by fietsbob
you want a Bike Friday Pack It or a Dahon then to get the 8 speed.. Brompron, Factory Stock will only sell you what they make 1,2,3,6 not 8..

Their dealer in Glasgow Scotland will ship you a bike modified and shipped by them to use rear hubs not offered by the company themselves ..

don't cry over this.. if you don't get your way
I'm not crying, I'm stating MY facts, and brompton is not worth it for me without what I require from them. Until then I'll gladly go with brands that actually care about what their customers want, even if it is in incremental, limited capacity.

Besides,...I don't waste time on international purchases,...warranty issues tend to make it the customer's problem if something goes wrong,...unlike a bike shop person like yourself. But, considering your impersonal, often times snooty answers, like the one above, I highly doubt you possess the capacity to understand. If brompton sells an 8 speed IGH model in the USA from an authorized dealership, and I can get the same warranty GUARANTEED, I'd happily provide them with some of my hard earned $$$.

Until then, which will mostly likely be never, Dahon, Downtube, Origami, Euromini, even Tern, will have me as a customer.

Have a great day,...
Old 01-14-19, 12:27 PM
fietsbob
Banned

B Dealer can do the work you want done for you Sturmey Archers 8 speed can be narrowed removing spacers on the left end.. [IHW8F.XDSS.HA2]

BTW new bike components warrantee period is 12 months.. pretty universally

here is a Brompton Alfine (8 or 11) speed jit, option. disc brakes.. Brompton Alfine Kits ? Kinetics

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-14-19 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 12:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bike Friday manufacturing site is in USA Eugene Oregon .. they have a long buyer chosen options list .. the PackIt is even lighter than the Brompton
and you can get your 8 speed with a Gates belt drive..
Old 01-14-19, 01:01 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Not stock, not interested in a brompton. Especially since the company you linked to isn't in my neck of the woods,...it's in Europe. https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/fol...n-alfine-kits/

And the Bike Friday Pack-It wouldn't work for my multi-modal commute. It's a nice bike, but not my cup-o-joe.

Last edited by tds101; 01-14-19 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-14-19, 02:33 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Thousand
I own both a Brompton and a Tern folding bicycle. While I love them both for various reasons, I have been mostly riding the Tern. This is because the Brompton is only a 2-speed and steel.
I ride the Tern all year because it’s made of aluminum and is an 8-speed.
Do any of you own a Brompton or Tern? Do you own both? Which one do you prefer and why?
I've ridden a few Terns; Vektron P9, Verge X11, etc. They ride nice and it seems
that Tern is focused on the "performance" segment of the folding bike market.

Tern Vektron P9 at Interbike 2018 by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
I do different kinds of riding; 100 mile charity events, grocery shopping, winter
commuting, travelling to different cities/countries, etc. Brompton is my choice.

My Snowmobile by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

100 Miles(160 Km.) on a Brompton by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
Old 01-15-19, 03:34 AM
chesky

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've never seen a Tern bike on the road. Has anyone actually bought it?
Old 01-15-19, 03:43 AM
plushy gopher
very fluffy

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obviously, yes.