Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Am I the dinosaur?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Am I the dinosaur?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-20, 10:00 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Okay.....call me old and out of touch. I would probably agree to a point. But when I look at new bikes online the push seems to be either pure road bikes migrating to disc brakes (hydraulic or mechanical) as the almost only option. I still love my caliper brakes due to simple simplicity.

So the dinosaur I seem to be, do you feel the eventual path is to certainly extinct the caliper concept?
Probably so, but I wouldn't worry yet about not being able to find replacement pads for your old caliper brakes, or replacement rims. This was the standard for a very long time, and there will be replacement parts for decades to come.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 05-15-20, 10:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
If the tyre loses traction while braking, it doesn't matter what type of brake one uses. The Anti-lock Braking System was not developed because cars needed more power to stop, but because the brakes had too much power and people didn't know how to use it. We don't need more stopping power, we need people to learn how to use it. The next 'innovation' for e-bikes will definetely be ABS as the riding speed increases and e-bikes merge with electric motorbikes.

The wider tyre trend started with the arrival of mass produced carbon frames and wheels. The imaginary want for 'stiffness' has become too stiff. Enter wide tyres. All of a sudden disc brakes become a 'must and much needed safety item' as opposed to a fit issue. So all this useless 'innovation' and upgrading, just to make a bike more compliant (or flexible) because the bikes of old made of metal were flexible 🙃. The circle is complete now 🙃

My rant is not about the 'want' aspect of it, it's about the 'need' aspect of it. A manufactured need, is not a real need.

However, if having disc brakes gets you out riding, by all means, get riding.
I love "in theory" expertise. Gives me warm fuzzies.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-15-20, 10:17 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
+1

Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-15-20, 10:30 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Comedy of the absurd - reminds me of those young female models walking down runways and pirouetting in silly outfits no normal person would ever wear
Old 05-15-20, 10:34 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Originally Posted by sced
Comedy of the absurd - reminds me of those young female models walking down runways and pirouetting in silly outfits no normal person would ever wear
Clearly you've never seen the bike fleet at an IronMan... the above bike is tame compared to some of the more custom bikes.
Old 05-15-20, 10:38 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by sced
+1

Tryathletes love ugly bikes

Old 05-15-20, 11:11 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
Okay.....call me old and out of touch. I would probably agree to a point. But when I look at new bikes online the push seems to be either pure road bikes migrating to disc brakes (hydraulic or mechanical) as the almost only option. I still love my caliper brakes due to simple simplicity.
So the dinosaur I seem to be, do you feel the eventual path is to certainly extinct the caliper concept?
Well get ready for the next big thing (full suspension road bikes). $$$
Old 05-15-20, 11:37 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Aww, that's so cute.
Old 05-15-20, 12:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I wish we had rim brakes on our tandem. We go through a rim every year - they last 2 years and I stagger the wheel rebuilds. We ride outside all winter and the roads are gritty. It's actually worse when the roads are wet and it's not raining. That wouldn't be so bad except that good rims come and go as the market changes, which then changes spoke length, which gets expensive with 36 CX-Rays. So yeah, I'm glad rims brakes are disappearing on tandems.

I'd feel the same about singles except that I have a rain bike with 20 y.o. Open Pro Ceramic rims which simply don't wear, period. If not for that, I'd have to look for a disc rain bike. I don't mind the stopping issue particularly; one get's used to that, it's the rim wear.
Another lava dust rider. That stuff is rim killer! And the NW wet.

I spent 12 years in Ballard, 33 now in Portland. Re-rimmed many a wheel. But I ride singles and love wheel building so I'll live with the rebuilds. Will be starting a new/old game next rebuilds as I;'ll go tubular - back to my old love (and tires I fully trust going down Cascades descents). So it will be new spokes time every time.

Ben
Old 05-15-20, 12:31 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Introducing some more points:

1) To the point about getting enough braking force: There's that old video where a series of descending racers and support cars totally screw up coming into a hairpin at high speed. One racer lifts the rear wheel off the ground and holds it off, going in a straight line for maybe 150' before T-boning a car in the hairpin. Plenty of rim braking power. Tire width doesn't matter. Area does not appear in the equation for friction force.

2) To the point about descending reliability, several points: On a famous group tandem descent from Mont Ventoux, the only tandems to make the descent without damage were rim braked. Their secret? They stopped to let things cool. The disc braked bikes all melted various components, warped rotors, burnt out pads, etc. A friend of ours with only a rear disc on their tandem red-hotted their disc and went into the blackberries on a short steep descent. We were fine on our rim brakes. I understand that tandem disc brakes can be modified with non-stock discs and pads and do better than that now, but so can rims.

3) To the disparagement of drum brakes: When we go on loaded tours, our tandem's all-up weight is about 375 lbs. I built a rear wheel for touring with has the famous and long off the market Arai drum brake. It's a drag brake. I put it on at the top of steep descents and just leave it on, holding the speed down to 35-40 and apply rim brakes as necessary for corners. It never overheats or varies in drag force. A disc brake won't do that.

4) Drum brakes vs. discs is not a similar argument to rim brakes vs. discs. Rims are the largest disc brakes on the market, 622mm diameter. The braking issue wouldn't even be close if it weren't for the issue of clinchers blowing off the rims under great heat, which makes me curious about tubies on deep alu rims, or the issue in #5 .

5) Yes, there's the issue of rim wear. That could be fixed simply by one manufacturer offering a ceramic brake track option on one decent deep alu rim with many drillings. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of call for that, largely because people don't know about it, but also because those who only ride in the dry don't wear their rims and they make up the vast majority of cyclists.

6) I think the real reason for the almost universal adoption of discs is the introduction of carbon wheels. They are the future and they need to be disc braked.
Old 05-15-20, 12:41 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Another lava dust rider. That stuff is rim killer! And the NW wet.

I spent 12 years in Ballard, 33 now in Portland. Re-rimmed many a wheel. But I ride singles and love wheel building so I'll live with the rebuilds. Will be starting a new/old game next rebuilds as I;'ll go tubular - back to my old love (and tires I fully trust going down Cascades descents). So it will be new spokes time every time.

Ben
So far, I've never rerimmed a wheel with the same rim and changed spokes, and have never broken a spoke, except for one that was damaged in a crash and finally broke, even on our tandem with CX-Rays. We bomb the Sunrise descent, yee--haw! No braking issues but we do sit up and knee-brake for that sort of thing.
Old 05-15-20, 02:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
As you said, the small aero advantage. I am switching over to discs entirely for my road bikes - have 2 bikes left that are rim brakes: 1 is gonna stay for trainer use, the other is getting sold. But for my TT bike, am going to stick to rim brakes. Not just the aero advantage but because i travel a lot and dont want to have disc rub sucking away precious watts with every turn of the wheel.
Disc brakes are aerodynamically superior when the wind is blowing from the right.

Brake tracks aren't very good when it comes to aerodynamics, better disc wheels lost them and have a smooth transition to the tire. The brake mechanism is hidden behind the fork arm, instead of protruding from the front of the bike.

It's a complicated picture. Caliper brakes generally have a small aero advantage but not always.

As more and more people ride discs, any advantage becomes theoretical.
Old 05-15-20, 02:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
You may choose to evolve, or be a rara avis

Old 05-15-20, 02:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

Tryathletes love ugly bikes

When I get home I’ll post up the Ceepo Shadow R.

However, the irony here is delicious. We need just the right amount of breaking with tradition.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-15-20, 02:36 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Now here's the freaky-deek bike. Anyone who doesn't like this is just a dinosaur.

Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-15-20, 02:56 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Now here's the freaky-deek bike. Anyone who doesn't like this is just a dinosaur.

that reminds me of a track bike from a Tucson builder.

when I get home I’ll search for it.
Old 05-15-20, 04:03 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Introducing some more points:

1) To the point about getting enough braking force: There's that old video where a series of descending racers and support cars totally screw up coming into a hairpin at high speed. One racer lifts the rear wheel off the ground and holds it off, going in a straight line for maybe 150' before T-boning a car in the hairpin. Plenty of rim braking power. Tire width doesn't matter. Area does not appear in the equation for friction force.
Dang, i remember that video, don't remember the guy moving at all after the crash.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 05-15-20, 05:24 PM
noodle soup

that reminds me of a track bike from a Tucson builder.

when I get home I’ll search for it.
Old 05-15-20, 05:46 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
This one and the CEECO are leaving me speechless. I haven't decided yet if it's in a good or a bad way.
Old 05-15-20, 05:58 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

It's like cycling meets a heavy metal album cover. Thanks for digging that one up; I hadn't seen it.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-15-20, 07:13 PM
seypat

Is there a maximum width these bikes have to adhere to with their fairings/fender/fork/wheel containment assemblies?
Old 05-15-20, 07:32 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Clearly you've never seen the bike fleet at an IronMan... the above bike is tame compared to some of the more custom bikes.
Any non-motorsport sport where athletes can simply buy an advantage isn't worth following
Old 05-15-20, 08:43 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
TT bikes are interesting... I haven't paid much attention to if any pros are riding disks yet on their TT bikes. Triathletes certainly have embraced disks on their hyper-aero bikes, so I don't see why TT bikes wouldn't follow suit.
BTW, If your disks are rubbing, your brakes might need some love I'd go insane if my brake pads were rubbing on the discs...
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Disc brakes are aerodynamically superior when the wind is blowing from the right.
Brake tracks aren't very good when it comes to aerodynamics, better disc wheels lost them and have a smooth transition to the tire. The brake mechanism is hidden behind the fork arm, instead of protruding from the front of the bike.
It's a complicated picture. Caliper brakes generally have a small aero advantage but not always.
As more and more people ride discs, any advantage becomes theoretical.
Well, as per the last Tour magazine review, none of the modern day aero superbikes had beaten the old rim brake versions. The Madone and the new Venge are both a little slower (a few watts, admittedly, but still) than the older Madone and Venge VIAS, for example. Even with the new aero superbikes, it is debatable whether they are materially faster than the older rim bikes: they do offer more integration for carrying food, water and spares than previous generation bikes, however -- and in fact, that is what will get me to switch.

And more importantly, I dont want to be rushing around a day before the race trying to get my rotors trued or pads aligned because of some issue in transit or whatever. Has happened to me with my Venge and it is a hassle/stress I do not need when i have traveled somewhere to race.

My decision isnt motivated by any retro-grouchery. I *like* disc brakes. But at present, there is no significant upside to getting disc brakes for my TT bike and a big plus (reduced bike setup stress when I am in a new location and already dealing with pre-race nerves) for sticking with rim brakes. Am quite happy with the decision... others are free to choose differently, of course.

Last edited by guadzilla; 05-16-20 at 12:57 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-15-20, 08:51 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This one and the CEECO are leaving me speechless. I haven't decided yet if it's in a good or a bad way.
I love the modern aero TT bikes and their flamboyant designs.., something pretty cool about seeing how creative designers can get in terms of balancing the various requirements of triathlon (aero, comfort/sizing flexibility and storage).
Old 05-15-20, 08:58 PM
seypat

The CEECO/CEEPO reminds me of a steam locomotive. The front wheel is the driving wheel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.