Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why I prefer rim brakes over disk brakes

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why I prefer rim brakes over disk brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 07:29 PM
sincos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Having cable rim brakes and hydraulic disc brakes, and having used the Magura hydraulic rims (but not cable discs) I found a significant difference between hydraulic actuation and cable actuation. Rim vs disk? Not so much. Theoretically the rim should be better, unless you need to keep the braking surface away from the ground. IMO rim vs disc is mostly full of sound and fury signifying not a whole hell of a lot.
Old 05-22-21, 07:56 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Put a Clydesdale with poor descending + braking skills on a road bike with rim brakes and carbon rims, send him down a twisty descent, and those fancy carbon rims can go "boom".

That's the only problem I can see road bike disc brakes solving.
I did Transam bike race on carbon rims as a clydsdale.

latex tubes,

No boom

You read too much

You have no idea what you are talking about

I regularly descend 15% hills

The key is the epoxy and the pads

You are spewing 2009 ignorant fear
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 05-22-21, 07:59 PM
GhostRider62

Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski

That wasn't the Giro

I could post plenty to the contrary

See no reason to scrap or bin a perfectly good frame just to get discs. Too many Eco poseurs too easily dispose of what is more than sufficient just to be cool. Save your response.
Old 05-22-21, 08:02 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,305 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yes, but this thread is completely different - the OP prefers rim brakes because he’s too heavy for disc brakes. That’s novel.
I was wrong, this thread is no different than the others. Same old, same old.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-22-21, 08:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,441 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Too many Eco poseurs too easily dispose of what is more than sufficient just to be cool. .
I've seen the term "poseur" used in a cycling context but what is a cycling Eco poseur?
Old 05-22-21, 10:26 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
You are spewing 2009 ignorant fear
Of course I am, because the laws of thermodynamics have changed dramatically since 2009, and resin no longer softens when it gets hot.

<insert eye roll here>

I lost a lot of money renting carbon wheels to clueless riders who didn’t know how to descend. Years after 2009. Including some rather dramatic failures of my wheels at the Levi's Gran Fondo.

I regularly descend 15% hills

As do I, on carbon rims with rim brakes. It's not a problem if you are a skilled descender using good braking technique.

The key is the epoxy and the pads
No, that is not the "key" to preventing rim failure or tire blowoff from braking heat. Resin with a higher softening temperature can help a little, but pads do almost nothing to help dissipate heat from the rim (even if manufacturers tell you otherwise).

The key is using good braking technique.

You read too much

You presume too much about me, relatively new account guy.

You have no idea what you are talking about
Suggest you ask around about me, and what I may or may not know. It could be enlightening.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-22-21 at 11:12 PM.
Old 05-22-21, 10:42 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
Those narrow tires can go boom with a weight weeny, seen it happen.
Even a featherweight rider can blow a tire on a descent, if they don't know how to brake properly.

But a Clydesdale with the same crummy braking technique will blow a tire sooner.

It's a fairly simple energy equation, converting kinetic energy into heat. Clydesdales have more kinetic energy, so they generate more heat with the same braking.

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-22-21 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-23-21, 04:19 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
When this old fuddy duddy sees them on TT bikes in Grand Tours, I'll consider them.

I bought into both clipless and index shifting immediately.

Buying an entire new bike, when I already have like 15, just to get the required thru axle seems stupid.

Disc brakes have some positives and some negatives. I cannot see a problem that they solve.
Dude.

They are on the TT bikes of many pros riding in Grand Tours, not all, but enough that it’s fair to say they aren’t a novelty.

If buying a new bike isn’t for you, fine.

The negatives of disc brakes, in my experience, stem from people riding bikes and having not a clue about how to actually ride it, maintain it, or otherwise keep it functional. The problem they solve is predictable (much more easily modulated) and vastly improved stopping power, especially when they weather is crappy. But, a lot of folks don’t ride very aggressively, even when they think they do, or avoid riding a bike when it’s raining, so it’s understandable that they think discs are either no improvement or unnecessary. Probably the only place, in my experience, that rim brakes are equally sufficient to discs is riding on flat, dry pavement in sunny weather.

Regardless, rim brakes have functioned adequately for many years, and with the advent of a superior braking system in the form of hydraulic disc brakes on TA equipped bikes, that hasn’t changed.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 05-23-21, 04:40 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
read report disc can cause the front wheel axle to come loose.

i will never buy disc brake for safety reason.

besides, discs look ugly.

sad part is that the selection of rim brake is getting smaller and smaller every day.

Last edited by mtb_addict; 05-23-21 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-23-21, 06:35 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
This only happens to people who fail to make sure that their axle is tightened properly...also forks have a thing called lawyer tabs which prevents a wheel axle from coming out.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-23-21, 06:47 AM
Mosman12

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I tried both in the past and definitely disc brake. No more rim brake bike for me
Old 05-23-21, 07:45 AM
mtb_addict

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3307 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
This only happens to people who fail to make sure that their axle is tightened properly...also forks have a thing called lawyer tabs which prevents a wheel axle from coming out.
no, problem is real. Just google it, there is so many stories.
The manufacturer try to put the blame on the victims. but i believe its more than just user error.

Some mfr is redesigning the fork to prevent this problem. But there is alot of dangerous disk brake forks still out there.
Old 05-23-21, 08:40 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts
no, problem is real. Just google it, there is so many stories.
The manufacturer try to put the blame on the victims. but i believe its more than just user error.

Some mfr is redesigning the fork to prevent this problem. But there is alot of dangerous disk brake forks still out there.
I know it’s a small data point but I’ve ridden about 25,000 miles on several disk brake bikes over the past three years. Both through axle and QR. I’ve never found the axle had loosened. For crying out loud, through axles are simply bolts! There are lots more demanding applications for a bolt than a bicycle axle and they work fine there too.

I like disk brakes because they work extremely well, and need almost no maintenance. Some rim brakes work well and some of them don’t. I’ve never met a rim brake I liked. If others prefer rim brakes, that’s perfectly fine with me. But this paranoia about safety is laughable.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 05-23-21, 01:43 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick
DangerousDanR: Can you lock up the rear wheel with the hope V4 brakes. After a little research I am seriously considering these brakes. There are some 2.3mm ebike rotors available that I will need no check on there compatibility with the V4 calipers.
Rick:
I just took the fat bike out to see. I am running 180 front and 160 rear Formula rotors with Hope V4 brakes. The pads and rotors are fairly new and in very good condition. The tires on there now are Jumbo Jim 26x4.8, set to 10 psi with an accurate digital tire filling gauge so they do have good traction.

ON both pavement and gravel I can easily lock up the rear if I just grab a big handful of brakes. I can lock the front if I try, but I can also hold them just shy of lockup.

Our tandem is a breakaway but I take the calipers off if we are flying with it.

Hope does publish the max rotor thickness for the V4, but I can't tell you what it is off the top of my head.
Old 05-23-21, 02:08 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Rim-Brakers are paranoid when it rains. Disk-Brakers are paranoid about cutting their leg off with the rotor.

Just kidding of course. Ya'll remember that broohaha years ago? Silly.

It boils down to personal preference as has been stated.

I own both and still prefer rim brakes although my Shimano XTR's on my Kona MTN bike are pretty F'n good. I have Shimano Dura Ace on one of my Wabi fixed gear bikes and man, they are sweet too.
Old 05-23-21, 07:58 PM
sneakerfreaka

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone, Canyon Aeroad 8.0, Canyon Ultimate CF

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I've only started using Disc brakes for the first time late last year. I hated them at first, the squealing, the rubbing and the ease of which they can be contaminated. Rim brakes were set and forgot for the most part, not much checking or adjusting. I persisted though, and despite not being able to solve the issues I mentioned, I started actually liking them! Although they still had two big downsides for me personally. I live in a very hilly area, as soon as I ride out of my road, I descend a tight, twisting road for a few kilometres where the gradient is easily over 20% at times. I thought Disc brakes would have an advantage here but I found them to be too good. If the road is wet or damp, my rear wheel locks up and slides if I press the rear brakes too hard. And I find it a lot harder to 'feather' the disc brakes compared to rim. Maybe more practice is needed on my part. So I'm not in either camp right now, I love the feedback and control of rim and the stopping power of disc (except of really steep hills). I'm sure eventually the annoying maintenance and noise issues of disc will be solved, once that happens I don't think too many people will opt for rim brakes any more.
Likes For sneakerfreaka:
Old 05-23-21, 08:21 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,308 Times in 1,118 Posts
The only time my discs have made noise is when they were wet. I've had my rim brakes not make a sound when wet. The difference I experienced is my discs still stopped the bike well. I don't understand the constant debate over which is better, but I also don't think I would ever buy a new bike again without discs.

Old 05-23-21, 08:33 PM
y2zipper

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
My experience with disc vs. rim is that discs tend to he way easier on my hands and easier to modulate. Basically, I get more stopping power for less force on the brake and my hands appreciate that. That said, brake choice wasn't a factor when I shopped.
Old 05-23-21, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts

i will never buy disc brake for safety reason.

besides, discs look ugly.

sad part is that the selection of rim brake is getting smaller and smaller every day.
No you will never buy a disc brake because you just want to talk about all the random bikes and say you want to buy and then give up a few days into it and say your heavy 40lb bike is better. Nothing at all do with safety. My touring bike has quick releases and discs and I have had zero problems with it and no looseness and I am a bigger rider and am sometimes carrying a decent amount of extra weight on it and have gone down some big hills.

I guess with cheaper quick releases especially the modern open cam design and people not tightening them properly and checking their bikes once and a while you can loosen it but I imagine it has to be a lot to make that happen as I haven't seen it personally and haven't had any issues with customers and I have sold a lot of disc brake bikes with QRs over the years and now more thru-axle stuff and also work on other bikes not sold through us. I am sure people love to post horror stories but the JRA stuff is usually quite a load of hooey. People not knowing how to use a QR is usually the big culprit not Big Fork or Big Disc. I have seen more than my fair share of poorly done up quick releases over the years.

Cheap crap looks ugly, disc brakes and rim brakes of quality can look quite decent.

Last edited by veganbikes; 05-23-21 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-23-21, 08:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by y2zipper
My experience with disc vs. rim is that discs tend to he way easier on my hands and easier to modulate. Basically, I get more stopping power for less force on the brake and my hands appreciate that. That said, brake choice wasn't a factor when I shopped.
each brand will feel different. Like magura mt4's were nice but they took 3 fingers for full power. I wanted to use one finger in the winter with gloves on so got some Shimano it's 4 piston and man 1 finger full power. but they take a delicate touch a lot more sensitive. but thats just a learning curve. our tandem has a v b rake on the back alone with a disc. man after trying that and how much work it is no wonder someone can over use a disc till they get the hang of it.
Old 05-23-21, 08:50 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Disc brakes are NOT an improvement for bicycles, unless they are used in conjunction with thru-axles.
opinions vary
Old 05-23-21, 08:53 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
When this old fuddy duddy sees them on TT bikes in Grand Tours, I'll consider them.

Ie.

They are used , but they are also not as wind tunnel friendly as the post mount and built in setups
Old 05-23-21, 09:23 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,305 Times in 2,949 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
Disc brakes are NOT an improvement for bicycles, unless they are used in conjunction with thru-axles.
Yep, my disc brakes are absolute rubbish when I don't install the thru axles.
Old 05-23-21, 09:25 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep, my disc brakes are absolute rubbish when I don't install the thru axles.
I bet did you keep going while your wheels stayed put or was it the opposite?
Old 05-24-21, 12:10 AM
Rick

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Rick:
I just took the fat bike out to see. I am running 180 front and 160 rear Formula rotors with Hope V4 brakes. The pads and rotors are fairly new and in very good condition. The tires on there now are Jumbo Jim 26x4.8, set to 10 psi with an accurate digital tire filling gauge so they do have good traction.

ON both pavement and gravel I can easily lock up the rear if I just grab a big handful of brakes. I can lock the front if I try, but I can also hold them just shy of lockup.

Our tandem is a breakaway but I take the calipers off if we are flying with it.

Hope does publish the max rotor thickness for the V4, but I can't tell you what it is off the top of my head.
DangerousDanR: Thanks for the reply. I have done a little research on the Hope V4. I already have the ceramic Kool Stop ebike pads and a Magura ebike 180mm rotor on the way. I will have some money in a couple of months and have an overseas bicycle shop I deal with that has the Hope V4 brakes available. I run 2" wide tires on my Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff. The frame is coupled and has QR style dropouts. I always file off lawyer lips on my bicycles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.