Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with Campagnolo front derailleur

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help with Campagnolo front derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-22, 11:06 PM
Cycologist

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thats interesting I never noticed that. The FD looks almost new just greasy.
Old 11-12-22, 12:48 AM
Cycologist

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Ok, thanks for everyones help. I think I figured it out and now it's shifting much better. However, still needs some tweaking. I measured the gap to the top of the FD and it's now 1.5mm approximately.

I loosened the shifting cable and measured the FD at 1.5 mm. Then set the limit screws. Once I attached the cable to the FD and tighten the tension bolt holding the cable it seems to have aligned the FD properly. At that point, making a minor adjustment to the limit screw with the cable now attacked seems to have done the trick.

The shifting cable seems to sit lateral to the bolt when I tighten it. I'll post pictures in the am. It appears the cable can slip out.

Last edited by Cycologist; 11-12-22 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-12-22, 09:14 PM
Cycologist

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Last edited by Cycologist; 11-13-22 at 10:09 AM.
Likes For Cycologist:
Old 11-12-22, 09:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycologist
The shifting cable seems to sit lateral to the bolt when I tighten it. I'll post pictures in the am. It appears the cable can slip out.

In the worst cases where the anchor won't hold the cable, you might have to do a little filing work ... or even use some shim material (washer or jb weld) to get good purchase.

Just don't use a wrench on the bolt. You don't want to strip it. I always use a socket driver with 5/16" socket.

Last edited by SurferRosa; 11-12-22 at 09:41 PM.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-13-22, 09:25 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Cyclologist - On the arm under the washer of the fixing bolt, there should be a groove the cable "fits" into. It is nearly tangent to the threaded hole.
Old 11-13-22, 09:38 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,292 Times in 1,281 Posts
To me, it seems the derailleur is still further from the chain ring than it should be. If that works then ok , but I would be concerned about dropping the chain on fast shifts. I don’t use a gage or measure the gap , just by eye. About the thickness of a nickel between the cage and the big ring, but with that small of a ring with a braze on mount, it may not be possible.

sorry for the dirty chain ring, I ride this bike a lot!
Old 11-13-22, 10:16 AM
Cycologist

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@Cyclologist - On the arm under the washer of the fixing bolt, there should be a groove the cable "fits" into. It is nearly tangent to the threaded hole.
I'll look for that grove, as I was tightening the cable from the nipple I accidentally pulled out the nipple and frayed the cable.
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
To me, it seems the derailleur is still further from the chain ring than it should be. If that works then ok , but I would be concerned about dropping the chain on fast shifts. I don’t use a gage or measure the gap , just by eye. About the thickness of a nickel between the cage and the big ring, but with that small of a ring with a braze on mount, it may not be possible.

sorry for the dirty chain ring, I ride this bike a lot!
I can see the gap is very close and the gap on my FD is much larger. If I go any lower the rear of the FD will hit the chain stay. But it seems to be shifting properly for now.
Old 11-13-22, 02:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
The pinch bolt assembly is designed to clamp onto an un-frayed cable.

Usually I can un-fray a cable by pinching it where it's still wound up and then twisting the cable between my fingers as the cable is withdrawn.
It helps that I'm stubborn!
Likes For dddd: