Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

wheels for clydesdales

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-10, 11:48 AM
sprocket47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wheels for clydesdales

I currently ride a touring bike with very strong wheels and have had little problem other than a loose spoke now and then. I'm upgrading to a speedier lighter bike and the LBS guy is trying to push me up the price chain and as they get higher in cost the spoke count goes down. Specifically I'm looking at the Trek 1.5, 2.1 or 2.3. He reassures me that the reduced spoke count from the 1.5 to 2.3 does not affect the strength of the wheel because the rim is deeper which compensates the lack of spokes for strength and saves rolling weight. Is this legit? Will I end up spending $1700 on a bike then a month later another $$$ on a new stronger wheel?

I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs and I commute on sometimes rough city streets.
Old 05-13-10, 02:11 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You're about an inch taller than me, but same weight. Technically, the wrench is correct: the rims are a bit stronger. However, the strength, in my opinion, is not enough to compensate for the loss of spokes.

I'd recommend you stick with 32-spoke wheels (or better if you want bullet-proof). I've had some good luck with my Fuzion 28-hole rear wheel, but only after I re-built them with new spokes. I had 24-hole Mavic Ksyrium Elites that really did not hold up well at all.

Since the low-spoke count wheels cost more, they shop should have no trouble swapping them out for you and selling the higher-end wheels by themselves.

Of course, I've also had problems with the rims of some 32-hole, Open Pro/Ultegra wheels as well.
Old 05-16-10, 06:43 AM
wvridgerider

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Surly Karate Monkey, Specialized Fuze, Bianchi Volpe, too many others and a lot of broken frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 21 Posts
I weigh 260+- and have been riding 36 spoke wheels for years. I purchased Mavic Axium Race wheels 3 years ago and the spokes need tightned now and then. I do not ride those wheels all of the time. I prefer the handbuilt wheels.
My advice, get a nice wheelset laced up by you LBS and forget those low spoke count wheels. They will ride great and you will not know the difference. A good wheel builder does wonders building wheels.
Dont buy into the lightness thing on wheels.
Old 05-16-10, 09:18 AM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sprocket47
I currently ride a touring bike with very strong wheels and have had little problem other than a loose spoke now and then. I'm upgrading to a speedier lighter bike and the LBS guy is trying to push me up the price chain and as they get higher in cost the spoke count goes down. Specifically I'm looking at the Trek 1.5, 2.1 or 2.3. He reassures me that the reduced spoke count from the 1.5 to 2.3 does not affect the strength of the wheel because the rim is deeper which compensates the lack of spokes for strength and saves rolling weight. Is this legit? Will I end up spending $1700 on a bike then a month later another $$$ on a new stronger wheel?

I'm 6'4" and 260 lbs and I commute on sometimes rough city streets.
the advantage of lower-spoke count wheels is not weight; it's aerodynamics. In fact, a higher count wheel can be lighter than an equivalent low spoke wheel. But since 32 and 36 hole wheels are often made of the same extrusions as lower-count ones, they do tend to be a bit heavier. But, unless you're a pro racer, you'll never notice the difference (and since this the Clydesdale section, it's pretty likely you swamp the weight of the bike.) in weight. You might notice the increased drag of the increased spokes, but only if you spend your time at 20+ mph, and wear a skin tight race kit.

On the other hand, low spoke count wheels are inherently less durable. The spokes have to be tensioned higher to support the loads, and since the load is born by fewer spokes, they're subject to a greater reduction in tension, which reduces their fatigue life (not really a problem for most people.), and increases their tendency to loosen, which is. With a heavy rider, the effect is exacerbated.
Old 05-16-10, 09:38 AM
hammond9705

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 105 Posts
As others have noted your best bet is a 32 or 36 spoke normal wheel. Get them handbuilt by someone who knows what they are doing. You can still buy the more expensive bike, just sell the wheels that come with it and put your wheels on it. You can sometimes find Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra wheels on sale pretty cheap. The cheap ones are probably not hand made, but you can take them to the LBS and have them hand tension them.

Or you can buy the bike, and ride it until you start having trouble with it. Ask the LBS if they are going to guarantee/warranty broken spokes. Once it gets to be too much trouble you can replace them, or if you don't mind mismatched wheels, just replace the rear. Fronts will typically have much less trouble then rear wheels. One last issue. With 32/36 spoke wheels you can usually keep riding with a broken spoke. Low spoke count wheels may go so far out of true that they can't be ridden and leave you stranded.