Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Everest Challenge in one day....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Everest Challenge in one day....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 08:20 PM
StevenAkaProek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
awesome looking forward to ur report

you will be my new hero when you accomplish this
Old 06-17-11, 12:01 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
Free beer? He'll ride to Portland in an afternoon for that!

Good luck George, keep us posted!
Friggin' cheapskates.

Anytime we meet, drinks of choice are on me.
Old 06-17-11, 10:01 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I received an email stating that Rock Creek Rd leading to Mosquito Flat is closed. Any BF'ers in the Mammoth or Bishop area that can confirm reports of road closures? What government agency should I check with for pass information?
Old 06-18-11, 06:25 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by Vireo
I received an email stating that Rock Creek Rd leading to Mosquito Flat is closed. Any BF'ers in the Mammoth or Bishop area that can confirm reports of road closures? What government agency should I check with for pass information?
You need to find out who maintains that sections. It could be a number of entities or even forest service.

Also, you want to find out why the road is closed. If there's a slide or a bit of road construction, you'll be able to walk around it. If it's snow, that won't be practical. If anyone in the area could recon the section, you can find out what you need.

I once encountered this on a long ride. Had to walk at least a quarter mile, but no biggie

Old 06-18-11, 05:52 PM
Ben FR
Climbing...

Bikes: SuperSix Evo, R3, F29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bishop's visitor center usually helpful:
https://www.bishopvisitor.com/contact/index.php3
Old 06-19-11, 10:09 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

BTW, this is why I was so concerned about the weather, though it looks like it's nicer down there. I took this just yesterday a full mile lower in elevation than parts of your route...

Old 06-19-11, 04:10 PM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
According to this: https://www.rockcreeklake.com/

the campgrounds are all open.

Here's a weather station at rock creek: https://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?s=rck
Old 06-19-11, 05:42 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Subscribed.

Good luck vireo - sounds like an epic in the making.
Old 06-20-11, 04:45 PM
shrinkboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
good luck with it, and also, i resent any photo/video depicting people wearing garments designed to keep them warm or dry
Old 06-20-11, 04:58 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28629 Post(s)
Liked 1,858 Times in 1,320 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I took this just yesterday a full mile lower in elevation than parts of your route
Skiing in June is dumb.
Old 06-20-11, 05:10 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Skiing in June is dumb.
Beats the hell out of gigging frogs and plucking banjos
Old 06-20-11, 05:20 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Is this attempt still planned for tomorrow (or anytime, for that matter)?

Be careful on the descents -- the mental fatigue will take quite a toll as well.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 06-21-11, 08:50 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by celticfrost
Is this attempt still planned for tomorrow (or anytime, for that matter)?

Be careful on the descents -- the mental fatigue will take quite a toll as well.
Unfortunately I'm being told that the climb up to Mosquito Flat is closed 9 miles from the summit. I would like to be able to document this "epic adventure" hence I have asked (begged) a couple of friends to come up and SAG for me. With the road being closed they can't drive up to the summit. I was told that Rock Creek Rd would open July 4th. I will have to postpone until at least then.
Old 06-21-11, 09:02 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Unfortunately I'm being told that the climb up to Mosquito Flat is closed 9 miles from the summit. I would like to be able to document this "epic adventure" hence I have asked (begged) a couple of friends to come up and SAG for me. With the road being closed they can't drive up to the summit. I was told that Rock Creek Rd would open July 4th. I will have to postpone until at least then.
Oh well, that's kind of a bummer. I suppose that you can look at it as 2 more weeks to prepare.

BTW, had you not posted today I would've wondered if you were still alive. Hats off to you and, based on some of your previous exploits, I'm not doubting that you won't get this done.
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 07-03-11, 07:31 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, did it happened or is it happening tomorrow July 4th? Curious minds want to know LOL.......
Old 07-10-11, 05:58 AM
mmmdonuts
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did Vireo complete his epic ride?
Old 07-12-11, 11:12 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mmmdonuts
Did Vireo complete his epic ride?
Vireo has chickened out because he doesn't feel he is ready (embarrassed). I tried a hot ride a couple of days ago 109 F and it was really hard on me (only 8 hours). Owens Valley has been over 100 F lately. I will keep training through the next month or two and try later in the summer.

Here is the ride from a couple of days ago

The unit below was not compatible with my Blackberry

So now I have one of these and will be doing a demo on it.

additionally here is the link to my SPOT shared page
Old 07-12-11, 11:47 PM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vireo has chickened out because he doesn't feel he is ready (embarrassed). I tried a hot ride a couple of days ago 109 F and it was really hard on me (only 8 hours).
You big wussie.

In all seriousness, what would you need to be able to do to feel comfortable taking on the challenge? How does one plan for these ultra-rides?? What would your longest training ride be? When planning around the century I guess 80% of the total would be be my bechmark. *0% of what your planning would be feat unto itself.
Old 07-13-11, 07:10 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have to admit it, but I had never heard of these things above. Had to look them up. Nice concept for some applications.

I wish I could find a good source to read on how to train for longer events like 24 events, 300K, 400K, 600 K events, RAAM, etc. A semi local guy I know of qualified for RAAM last year and entered it this year. He inspired me to no end to look into it. I am almost certain I don't have what it takes, nor time and support, to enter or train for something like that, but I would love to learn how to train for it in case I went mental one day.
Old 07-13-11, 09:26 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgasmd
I have to admit it, but I had never heard of these things above. Had to look them up. Nice concept for some applications.

I wish I could find a good source to read on how to train for longer events like 24 events, 300K, 400K, 600 K events, RAAM, etc. A semi local guy I know of qualified for RAAM last year and entered it this year. He inspired me to no end to look into it. I am almost certain I don't have what it takes, nor time and support, to enter or train for something like that, but I would love to learn how to train for it in case I went mental one day.
well....you could ask me I've done all the events you mentioned

And I did start a post on my blog for Q & A on training for the Furnace Creek 508. Join in and contribute....
Old 07-13-11, 09:36 AM
Daytrip
Medicinal Cyclist

Bikes: 2003 Klein Q Carbon Race; 2009 Giant OCR-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, Vireo, you get extra bonus points in my book for clear thinking and common sense. Why not train a bit more and wait until it cools off a bit, since most of us think what you're planning is next to impossible under ideal conditions?

When we didn't get a ride report, I thought maybe you tried and died, so it's good to see you're still with us.
Old 07-13-11, 09:48 AM
sbxx1985 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1934 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 158 Posts
I don't have what it takes.

But LAJ here on BF rides with RMCC in Colorado and is pretty hardcore about it, in case you're interested in learning more.
Old 07-13-11, 09:51 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish I could find a good source to read on how to train for longer events like 24 events, 300K, 400K, 600 K events, RAAM, etc.
https://www.ultracycling.com/training/training.html

That's a start.
Old 07-13-11, 10:16 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Meh. I would do it.

[Pssshhhht. Glug-glug-glug. Sits back down with his beer in front of the internets...]
Old 07-13-11, 11:46 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11404 Post(s)
Liked 4,761 Times in 2,770 Posts
I was lucky enough to join Rocky Mountain Cycling Club, as sbxx stated. They are a varied group that loves their climbs, and loves their distance. The flat rides get participation, but throw a Saturday climbing ride in, and there are far more cyclists at the ride start that day. That same fact is true concerning the brevet rides. We are fortunate to have a board member for https://www.rusa.org/ as our representative/brevet organizer, and he does a wonderful job.

None of the above has anything at all to do with you, but it does illustrate the fact that I find doing distance is easier starting with a group, than by myself. Time on the bike, not actual mileage, is very important. Verifying the 3 points of contact are acceptable for 7 hours at a time is what I was after, and the distance just followed. Once in a brevet, you will most likely find yourself riding alone. So, it is key you are good with that fact, and realizing that getting along with yourself is the most important thing, you will do fine. The mental part of riding 15-24 hours at a time, or even more, is something that can't be ignored.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.