Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

NEW bike BUT which one......????

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 01:54 PM
DeeGee68

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi ALL!

I posted my introduction and have started a discussion on a hybrid bike I am looking at purchasing. I would be interested on your advice and experience with these bikes if any.

These were the bikes I was considering;

Cannondale Quick Carbon 2 2014

Specialized Sirrus Pro Disc 2014

Trek 7.7 FX 2014

BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 Alfine 11 2014

Out of them the only one I have not tried is the Trek as it was not in stock....!

I spent about 45 minutes getting 'fitted' in the store before venturing out on the Specialized. I was then told that there is an electronic system of fitting that is better than the manual one I had for the Specialized!!

I have approximately 6 weeks to decide on the bike as that is how long it will take to process my application.....!

I want to have a quality bike with quality components and not just a bike that has a good frame but the components are 'neglected' to keep the price down.

Thanks for reading.

David.
Old 03-26-14, 02:06 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
David, have you taken a look at Giant's offering? The Escape RX Composite is a very good value at $1550. There have been a few threading covering them on this forum in the past few months. I'm very happy with the two that we purchased.
Old 03-26-14, 02:30 PM
themishmosh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Doubt they are all similarly priced but the Sirrus Pro Disc looks to be outfitted very smartly. In particular, any bike that puts high end shifters like the Shimano R780 (Ultegra) when they could have settled on SL-4600 (Tiagra) is really going the extra mile. The BMC strikes me as a completely different animal but the other bikes are all great flat bar road bikes you'd probably be pretty pleased with.
Old 03-26-14, 03:42 PM
tjax
Photon-Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeGee68
Hi ALL!

I posted my introduction and have started a discussion on a hybrid bike I am looking at purchasing. I would be interested on your advice and experience with these bikes if any.

These were the bikes I was considering;

Cannondale Quick Carbon 2 2014

Specialized Sirrus Pro Disc 2014

Trek 7.7 FX 2014

BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 Alfine 11 2014

Out of them the only one I have not tried is the Trek as it was not in stock....!

I spent about 45 minutes getting 'fitted' in the store before venturing out on the Specialized. I was then told that there is an electronic system of fitting that is better than the manual one I had for the Specialized!!

I have approximately 6 weeks to decide on the bike as that is how long it will take to process my application.....!

I want to have a quality bike with quality components and not just a bike that has a good frame but the components are 'neglected' to keep the price down.

Thanks for reading.

David.
I have the Trek and I absolutely love my bike. It's smooth and has yet to have a problem. The reinforced tires are also awesome, I haven't had a flat yet. If you have any specific questions, I can answer them for you on the Trek. All my bikes are Trek.
Old 03-26-14, 04:32 PM
bbarnett51

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you can miss. I was trying to decide between the Sirrus Comp Disc and the Jamis Allegro Elite. Both were fantastic. I ended up getting a Cyclocross bike. But I was impressed with both.

Having said that, the largest dealer in my area sells Trek and the 7.7 is extremely popular. We have a great paved trail system and hybrids dominate in number. The Trek 7 series has a sterling reputation. The other hybrid that gets lots of praise is the Jamis Coda but it's a little different bike then Wyatt you are looking at.
Old 03-26-14, 04:46 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
The Trek (7.7FX) and the Sirrus Pro Disc are not 'hybrids' in any sense of the word. They are not even purpose-designed 'flat-bar road bikes'. They are drop-bar road frames with flat bars slapped on. OTOH, the Cannondale and the BMC are purpose-designed flat-bar road bikes. Re. the latter, I'm not sure why you'd be looking at an Alfine bike in this grouping, but nevertheless ...

That said, they are all (high) quality bikes, as they should be at those kinds of prices. Ride them all, decide which one floats your boat (fit, feel, colour) and buy it. You can't really go wrong, as bbarnett51 points out.
Old 03-28-14, 03:06 AM
DeeGee68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice guys. I was also told the Specialized seemed to go the extra mil as to components. I was very impressed with the Specialized ride but at that price I just wanted to make sure that I was getting the most bang for my buck!

Will keep you all posted...

ATVB!

David
Old 03-28-14, 07:40 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, to be fair, it's not that Specialized is "going the extra" to give you upgraded components......you do PAY for them. (Quick Carbon 2 = $2,170msrp ----------- Sirrus Pro Disc = $3,0000 msrp). That's a HUGE difference!!!

While my 2nd favorite bike was the Specialized, I would highly recommend riding an appropriately sized Quick!! Carbon 2 or even Carbon 1, since it seems you're willing to spend the extra on the Sirrus!! (Also note the RD on the Quick is a 105, not Tiagra. C'dale puts lesser stuff where it matters less as a smart way to save the buyer money)

The Quick (mine's a 4) just fit me like a glove after everything else left me wanting. Every time I went back to the Quick it just felt like home.

Nothing wrong with any of those listed, just make sure it "feels" good to your body!!
Old 03-28-14, 08:30 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd go with the Quick 2 Carbon!
Old 03-28-14, 01:17 PM
cbr9927

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty high end bikes you have on the list along with a high budget. Never seen a Cannondale Hybrid in Carbon as not one dealer will stock one unless you buy it sight unseen. Rather a daunting task I would say. Personally I would never spend more than 1500 tax included on a hybrid, you are paying for a few pounds difference or better shifters. Both of these are subjective to whether its worth the extra cash. On my road bike that I sold recently it had 105s and Ultergra shifters, both highly regarded and I thought it sucked. My SRAM Apex on my Sirrus is way better.
I would take a look at the Giant Escape RX composite. Specialized carbon bikes for 2014 have disc brakes and I saw one at the shop and it heavier, easy to tell how much heavier than rim brakes simply lifting it.
Old 03-28-14, 03:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Can you walk into a Bike shop and test ride all those , where you Live?

any of them would do all that we do is vote for what we ride, BMC still Made in CH?

all the others are TW.
Old 03-29-14, 07:01 AM
DeeGee68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Can you walk into a Bike shop and test ride all those , where you Live?

any of them would do all that we do is vote for what we ride, BMC still Made in CH?

all the others are TW.
Evans Cycles in Wimbledon ;-)
Old 03-29-14, 09:27 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Buy the one that fits you the best, is the most comfortable to ride, and which one you fall in love with for looks. You won't be sorry!
Old 03-29-14, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
FW Evans used to make their own frames in the 80s, the small UK builders with their regional shop Storefront
are few, now.

Taiwan has most of the build work .. these days..
Old 03-31-14, 05:01 AM
DeeGee68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Buy the one that fits you the best, is the most comfortable to ride, and which one you fall in love with for looks. You won't be sorry!
I really like the Sirrus but need to make sure the bike will do what I want it to. As stated earlier I am looking to ride on the road and 'light' trails. I am not looking to go 'off road' in any sense of the word so the bike must be able to deal with a little 'rough' road i.e. not paved.

I will keep you posted as it looks like the purchase will be at the end of the month!!

ATVB!

David
Old 04-07-14, 10:04 AM
DeeGee68

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have just returned from Cycles UK Ltd after checking out the WHYTE Montpellier Urban Commuter. To say I am impressed and this has 'upset the apple cart' is an understatement!!! I am now considering this bike as a serious contender against the Specialized Sirrus Pro Disc!!!! At £500 less can you blame me??? It seems to tick all the right boxes for me...!

Anyone have any experience with this bike? Grateful for any help advice.

ATVB!

David
Old 11-28-16, 06:40 AM
ShaneFartick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at same choices

Looks like some of bikes have carbon Frames and some don't. They are also very different prices! I was going to get the Sirius expert carbon but at the last second I saw the cannon dale quick carbon1 for $450 less and it had similar specs and seemed lighter.
Right now waiting for delivery but it is raining out😎🤓
Old 11-30-16, 12:09 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I'm a Specialized guy - so the Sirrus would be my pick.

You really have to buy the one you fall in love with - you will ride it the most!