Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

11 Speed Cassette on 10 Speed Hub

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

11 Speed Cassette on 10 Speed Hub

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-17, 08:00 PM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
I just machine 0.060" off the back of an Ultegra 6800 cassette. As long as there is clearance for the cassette and derailleur to the spokes, this works fine.
I might do this. My knee mill is ready.

edit - 1.8mm is 0.0709". Is there a reason you chose to take up that ten with the lockring?
Old 01-10-17, 10:41 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
1. Every wheel and hub is a different scenario. What works for one may or may not work on another.
2. Most/many 10 speed wheels can be converted to work with 11 speed road cassettes. It simply requires machining 1.8mm off the shoulder of the freehub body.
3. Ones that won't work for this= ones where they moved that shoulder in so tight to the right flange that there is either not enough room/shoulder left to remove, or that by doing so the largest cog on the cassette is going to run into the drive side spokes.
4. Shimano 11 speed mtb cassettes use the shorter freehub body (8/9/10) because it's a mtb cassette. The largest cog is usually 32 or larger so it easily clears the spokes because of the bracing angle on the drive side. SRAM decided against that and created their XD driver.
5. Re-dishing is required if the conversion to 11 includes a freehub swap and endcap or spacer swap that actually adjusts the centerline of the axle slightly to accommodate the 1.8mm difference. While re-dishing is a quick process I don't blame Zipp for suggesting it should be done in house. If I had a dollar for every time a shop or rider thought they could easily or quickly true something only for it eventually to end up back with me because they messed up the tension balance of the wheel at the same time.....well wait a minute I usually get a dollar for every time that happens...nevermind.

My $0.02. Conversion cassettes = a waste of time. The only reason to use one would be if the following was true:
1. You had an amazing wheel that was just quite irreplaceable.
2. That wheel did not have the ability to have 1.8mm machined off the freehub body.
3. There were no parts available (11 speed freehub conversion option).
4. Even though there wasn't enough room to machine the 1.8mm - by some miracle the largest cog on said conversion cassette is still larges enough to clear spokes - highly unlikely as building the hub like this to begin with was done to exploit the addded flange spacing making the spokes closer as well. Usually involves having the largest cog be at LEAST a 28 or larger.

If you match number 1 in there then its usually because it's a special purpose wheel. Usually that special purpose wheel is going to be a race wheel. In that case the cassette needed is usually a 25 cog largest which would normally run into problems.

The ONLY situation I can think of where I would use a conversion cassette: Alchemy hubs. They are the shiz and Jeremy is out of business and doesn't have any more 11 speed freehub conversions for ORC v1. I have about 3 or 4 of these hubs sitting on my desk no longer having homes. A shame. Such a stellar design. We've been squeaking out some life on our team issued ones as there are still riders on 10 but each year that gets smaller and this season seems to be the season 10 dies in our world of racing.

Old 01-10-17, 11:19 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
1. Every wheel and hub is a different scenario. What works for one may or may not work on another.
2. Most/many 10 speed wheels can be converted to work with 11 speed road cassettes. It simply requires machining 1.8mm off the shoulder of the freehub body.
3. Ones that won't work for this= ones where they moved that shoulder in so tight to the right flange that there is either not enough room/shoulder left to remove, or that by doing so the largest cog on the cassette is going to run into the drive side spokes.
4. Shimano 11 speed mtb cassettes use the shorter freehub body (8/9/10) because it's a mtb cassette. The largest cog is usually 32 or larger so it easily clears the spokes because of the bracing angle on the drive side. SRAM decided against that and created their XD driver.
5. Re-dishing is required if the conversion to 11 includes a freehub swap and endcap or spacer swap that actually adjusts the centerline of the axle slightly to accommodate the 1.8mm difference. While re-dishing is a quick process I don't blame Zipp for suggesting it should be done in house. If I had a dollar for every time a shop or rider thought they could easily or quickly true something only for it eventually to end up back with me because they messed up the tension balance of the wheel at the same time.....well wait a minute I usually get a dollar for every time that happens...nevermind.

My $0.02. Conversion cassettes = a waste of time. The only reason to use one would be if the following was true:
2. That wheel did not have the ability to have 1.8mm machined off the freehub body.
4. Even though there wasn't enough room to machine the 1.8mm - by some miracle the largest cog on said conversion cassette is still larges enough to clear spokes - highly unlikely as building the hub like this to begin with was done to exploit the addded flange spacing making the spokes closer as well. Usually involves having the largest cog be at LEAST a 28 or larger.

If you match number 1 in there then its usually because it's a special purpose wheel. Usually that special purpose wheel is going to be a race wheel. In that case the cassette needed is usually a 25 cog largest which would normally run into problems.

The ONLY situation I can think of where I would use a conversion cassette: Alchemy hubs. They are the shiz and Jeremy is out of business and doesn't have any more 11 speed freehub conversions for ORC v1. I have about 3 or 4 of these hubs sitting on my desk no longer having homes. A shame. Such a stellar design. We've been squeaking out some life on our team issued ones as there are still riders on 10 but each year that gets smaller and this season seems to be the season 10 dies in our world of racing.
Rob, you are the expert, but I tell you the 10-speed Bitex hubs accept the 11-speed freehub body swap without redishing. The rim hasn't moved. The end caps haven't moved. So the rim is still centered. And there is no fouling on the spokes or the chain stay with a 25-12 cassette. That is only one example. True, the chain line may be a little different than you get by machining the freehub, but it still works too well for me to care. Maybe their 11-speed bodies are modified to snug up more to the flange. I dunno. Real-life experience!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 01-10-17 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 12:31 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Rob, you are the expert, but I tell you the 10-speed Bitex hubs accept the 11-speed freehub body swap without redishing. The rim hasn't moved. The end caps haven't moved. So the rim is still centered. And there is no fouling on the spokes or the chain stay with a 25-12 cassette. That is only one example. True, the chain line may be a little different than you get by machining the freehub, but it still works too well for me to care. Maybe their 11-speed bodies are modified to snug up more to the flange. I dunno. Real-life experience!
Like I said every situation is different. On the bitex they don't change anything on their freehub body. They just machined down the other 1.8mm for you. Nothing else moves. They had enough of a spacing on their flanges to begin with that there isn't any intereference.

Most that I have run into I can machine off the freehub body and viola - 11 speed. No redishing, etc.

Aftrer writing this I had to do an 11 speed swap on a White industries hub. The freehub has different bearing locations and axle endcap spacings. I was missing the NDS endcap but was able to machine a 10 speed one into it. That one requires re-dishing.

Absolutely every wheel and situation is different but it isn't that hard to figure out.

Old 01-10-17, 12:56 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Like I said every situation is different. On the bitex they don't change anything on their freehub body. They just machined down the other 1.8mm for you. Nothing else moves. They had enough of a spacing on their flanges to begin with that there isn't any intereference.

Most that I have run into I can machine off the freehub body and viola - 11 speed. No redishing, etc.

Aftrer writing this I had to do an 11 speed swap on a White industries hub. The freehub has different bearing locations and axle endcap spacings. I was missing the NDS endcap but was able to machine a 10 speed one into it. That one requires re-dishing.

Absolutely every wheel and situation is different but it isn't that hard to figure out.
That's good to know, as it explains why the Bitex 11-speed bodies work so well on hubs that were originally set up for 10-speed. So $40 for the new freehub body seems like a pretty good deal compared to the cost and aggravation to a normal bike enthusiast of getting one machined. Thanks for the information.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 01-14-17, 06:14 PM
DarkSpeedWorks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right, that is okay if OP only wants the 10 speeds. He gets to use those wheels on his 11-speed equipped bike with only 10 cogs. But if he wants all 11 cogs, not so much.
Yes, there is a free method that allows you to use a shimano 11 speed drivetrain with an easy "hybrid" 10/11 cassette trick. But there is also a way to get all 11 speeds if you go with the Lasco Concepts Mod. Simple, fairly inexpensive, and you get perfect shifting (I have heard that the edco cassettes are not as good in smoothness and noise, not to mention that they are very expensive).

If it helps, I have tried both methods above, and both work great in their own way.

Another note: for most 10 speed zipp hubs, milling 1.8mm off the base of the zipp AL freehub is not such a good idea, there are more than a few accounts of riders that have done this and then the freehub cracks soon afterwards. But YMMV ...

Greg @ dsw
Old 01-15-17, 06:19 PM
bleui

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's good to know, as it explains why the Bitex 11-speed bodies work so well on hubs that were originally set up for 10-speed. So $40 for the new freehub body seems like a pretty good deal compared to the cost and aggravation to a normal bike enthusiast of getting one machined. Thanks for the information.
do you happen to have a link for that bitex 11 sp freehub
Old 01-17-17, 07:26 AM
Jiggle

Bikes: BH, Cervelo, Cube, Canyon

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
If all they did was machine 1.8mm off an aluminum freehub, I'd try my hand with a file (or dremel) on my 10 speed one before putting down $40.
Old 07-13-17, 02:57 PM
TheSame

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac / Santa Cruz Blur LTC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiggle
If all they did was machine 1.8mm off an aluminum freehub, I'd try my hand with a file (or dremel) on my 10 speed one before putting down $40.
This is exactly what I did after reading up on it. I just took a file to my aluminum freehub. It grinds down super easy with a file. Took me about 2 hours to modify my 10 speed freehub to accept an 11 speed cassette

Last edited by TheSame; 07-13-17 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-23-17, 06:08 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
going forward the new 11 speed Shimano Ultegra R8000 11-34 cassette will be 10 speed hub compatible. You won't need to file down, swap out cassette bodies or re-dish etc
Old 07-23-17, 09:43 PM
rpenmanparker 

Originally Posted by bleui
do you happen to have a link for that bitex 11 sp freehub
Just got to BikeHubStore.com and navigate to accessories or parts. Whatever.

Originally Posted by LAJ
Old 07-24-17, 08:38 AM
TheSame

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac / Santa Cruz Blur LTC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
going forward the new 11 speed Shimano Ultegra R8000 11-34 cassette will be 10 speed hub compatible. You won't need to file down, swap out cassette bodies or re-dish etc
That's pretty awesome. Wonder why shimano is only doing it for the 11-34?

Good solution if you want a 34t. For me. The all the large gearing gaps on a 11-34 would annoy me. I'm running a 12-28t. I used to run an 11-28t, but it's missing a 16t. So I switched to 12-28t (drops the 11t for 16t). I rarely use the 11t. The 16t makes the main range of the cassette that I use super tight. this is just what works better for me.
Old 07-24-17, 08:50 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSame
probably because smaller innermost cogs would have spoke clearance issues. It sounds like they are now going to use a design similar to their 11spd mountain bike cassettes.

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-24-17 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-24-17, 07:55 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As I understand it they needed a bigger cog to make it concave enough to clear most hubs.

Good solution if you want a 34t. For me. The all the large gearing gaps on a 11-34 would annoy me. I'm running a 12-28t. I used to run an 11-28t, but it's missing a 16t. So I switched to 12-28t (drops the 11t for 16t). I rarely use the 11t. The 16t makes the main range of the cassette that I use super tight. this is just what works better for me.
Old 07-25-17, 02:27 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
probably because smaller innermost cogs would have spoke clearance issues. It sounds like they are now going to use a design similar to their 11spd mountain bike cassettes.
As I understand it they needed a bigger cog to make it concave enough to clear most hubs.
The same reason they stayed with the standard length freehub body for 10 speed mtb. As mentioned when you're running a large cog like that there is enough room to cantilever the cog back towards the center and not run into the spokes.

Old 08-08-17, 02:16 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I received the first of the Ultegra CS-HG800-11 (11 speed) Cassettes available. I installed it on my 10 speed Chris King hubs (a new 11 speed hub body not available for this model from CK) It works fantastic!

It was so awesome to resurrect my old 10 speed wheels! I will be ordering a couple more for my old carbon race wheels.

IMG_0172 by George Vargas, on Flickr

IMG_0173 by George Vargas, on Flickr

IMG_0174 by George Vargas, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by George Vargas, on Flickr

Let me know if I can help acquire these cassettes for you.

Disclaimer : Authorized Shimano Dealer
Old 09-20-17, 10:00 AM
ARPRINCE

Bikes: 2021 Tern Verge X11 + Cannondale 2016 CAAD12 eTap + 2011 Synapse Alloy 5 Ultegra

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I received the first of the Ultegra CS-HG800-11 (11 speed) Cassettes available. I installed it on my 10 speed Chris King hubs (a new 11 speed hub body not available for this model from CK) It works fantastic!

It was so awesome to resurrect my old 10 speed wheels! I will be ordering a couple more for my old carbon race wheels. ......
What RD are you using?
Old 09-20-17, 11:01 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

It was so awesome to resurrect my old 10 speed wheels! I will be ordering a couple more for my old carbon race wheels.

IMG_0172 by George Vargas, on Flickr

IMG_0173 by George Vargas, on Flickr

IMG_0174 by George Vargas, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by George Vargas, on Flickr

Let me know if I can help acquire these cassettes for you.

Disclaimer : Authorized Shimano Dealer
too bad the jumps are aweful for a road bike
Old 09-20-17, 05:41 PM
stykthyn

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure I missed something. What makes the new shimano cassette fit the old hubs?
Old 09-20-17, 06:07 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by stykthyn
I'm sure I missed something. What makes the new shimano cassette fit the old hubs?
Nope, you missed nothing. The 'new' Ultegra 11-34 is just the same old MTB (probably XT level) 11 speed cassette which due to the large inside cog allows for it to fit on 10 speed freehubs and not interfere with any spokes. I'm sure it has new branding and all but this cassette in and of itself isn't allowing anything that Shimano 11 speed MTB cassettes haven't allowed since their inception. The real 'new' thing is an Ultegra RD rated for a 34T large cog, which means it can probably handle a 40T with Shimano's conservative specs.
Old 09-21-17, 04:59 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Right, that is okay if OP only wants the 10 speeds. He gets to use those wheels on his 11-speed equipped bike with only 10 cogs. But if he wants all 11 cogs, not so much.
True. But, I ride both a 10s and 11s bike. Honestly, if 11s were never invented, I could care less. I notice no difference in the riding experience. To me, running 10 cogs with 11 speed spacing is the ticket for a 10s Shimano wheelset and also allows running a 10s Shimano wheelset on a Campy 11s bike because for all intents spacing is the same between Campy and Shimano 11s.
Old 09-21-17, 05:01 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The same reason they stayed with the standard length freehub body for 10 speed mtb. As mentioned when you're running a large cog like that there is enough room to cantilever the cog back towards the center and not run into the spokes.
Great point about how a monster cog placed inboard can be run closer to the hub center because the diameter of the cog is farther for the angled spokes.
Old 09-21-17, 05:05 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Completely agree and few understand the subject as well as you because of your experience. Conversion cassettes are a waste of money and will add, running 10 cogs (with 11s cog spacing) on a bike with 11s groupset...pick one, Shimano/Campy/Sram is by far the most expedient and cost effective. Me personally, I would never miss the extra cog.

Last edited by Campag4life; 09-21-17 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-21-17, 05:09 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
True. But, I ride both a 10s and 11s bike. Honestly, if 11s were never invented, I could care less. I notice no difference in the riding experience.
The difference for me is that I get a sweet 12-23 10 speed cassette plus a 25T cog with 11 speed. Or a reasonably spaced 12-27 10 speed cassette plus a bailout 29T cog.
Old 09-21-17, 05:09 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ARPRINCE
YES - this works. I did mine as follows:

You would need:
  • 11-28
  • A 12T Lock Ring
  • A hub spacer for an 11s hub so you can use a 10s Cassette.
I removed 11T cog and replaced with a 12T lock ring. Use the spacer as the first insert. You retain the jump from one cog to another instead of removing a cog in between the cassette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJB00bZ9wI
This gets my vote. Less hassle and cost than other methods and won't miss the lost cog as most of us didn't when we rode a 10s cassette for years...some of us starting on a 5s cassette years back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.