Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Wall hanger." (DIY fancy wall display)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-24, 11:57 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts

Not long ago, I posted some pictures of a room that I renovated to display some of the favorites. At the time, I was still short any wall displays to clear some room on the ground.

Not anymore.

These brackets took way too long to dream up, given how simple they look. Somewhere in the pinball of my brain, I came up with the idea of cradling the rims on two separate brackets, but from the top of the rim, not the bottom. This ensured that whatever the final product would be, it would be complicated enough that nobody could have possibly mass produced it. I was also dead set on finding something with a clean mid-century flair to it, oodles of chrome and capable of supporting any bike on display without contacting a painted area of the frame. Any one of these requirements are a tall order on their own, and "mid-century" usually brings up wood. That's fine for furniture, but I'm approaching this room as it was a styling exercise handed down from GM's Bill Mitchell himself.

I got lucky finding the above 16" brackets on eBay for a floating bathroom vanity. The seller claimed they were chrome, but they turned out to be stainless. No arguments there - no chrome to chip when drilling out the holes. Granted, the stainless has a slight yellow tint in comparison to the chrome plated bits, but I can't ask for everything. They're also dirty and as-delivered in these pictures; they cleaned up a lot better.

The cradles are half of a fork mount clamp for a motorcycle turn signal off Amazon.

....an adhesive rubber strip makes it look as if it belongs there.

Also note the nut cap cover, also a motorcycle part off Amazon, though definitely from the cheap-o bin unlike the clamps. It looks good though.

Unfortunately, the stainless brackets are a bit on the thin side, and so tend to deform under the pressure from the wedge anchors - no welded-in anti-crush sleeves here; rather a disappointment. I drilled the bottom holes larger - only on the front - allowing me to install a split sleeve as a pseudo shear bushing. In reality, the nut and washer on the bottom (not installed here) is pushing against the sleeve bushing, which is pushing against the backside of the rectangular stainless tube. It's more than "secure enough" though, so I'm pleased.

I would have done the bushing trick on the top as well, had I been able to get both the drill and drill bit jammed square in the triangle - but I couldn't, so didn't.

Here's the victim, Leo the Bottecchia (speaking of which, I somehow lucked into identifying it while posting this - the brand and badge hails from the Leo Chlorodont team). The bike is slightly twitchy up there, but I account a bit of that for the lack of a BB or crankset to help weight it down. The Nexus 7 and Dynohub do more than enough to ensure it stays there though, and I dare say I could help snug up the fit with 3D printed rubber inserts instead of the generic rubber pads.

Now I just need to luck into another pair of those brackets for the other wall. Back to finding a needle in a haystack...

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 01-13-24 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-13-24, 12:12 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,560 Times in 1,412 Posts
Yes!

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 01-13-24, 07:44 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Well done Kurt!!! A perfect addition to your bike cave.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-13-24, 08:08 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,804 Times in 1,408 Posts
Excellent work!

I don't want to hijack, is it OK to show other diy wall brackets?
Likes For iab:
Old 01-13-24, 09:31 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Quick note: For anyone curious why I fitted these to the wall with wedge anchors: There's no drywall in these 1940's-era Florida rooms. It's straight to CMU wall.

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Yes!
Ah, but true celebration would require hanging a Huffy on these.

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Well done Kurt!!! A perfect addition to your bike cave.
Thanks, Bob! Also a relief too - I need to finish a number of small things on most of the bikes below for a show at the end of February, and the Racor freestanding bike rack I had in the room took far too much space. Now I can get to them for a change.

Originally Posted by iab
Excellent work!

I don't want to hijack, is it OK to show other diy wall brackets?
Please do, @iab - I found very few inspiration threads as I was coming up with this design and would love for this to become one.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-13-24, 10:10 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by cudak888
Ah, but true celebration would require hanging a Huffy on these.
-Kurt
Ah, not true! I think one of those little 1960s Moult...err, nevermind - same thing!

Old 01-13-24, 10:36 AM
iab

So you all have probably seen this pic of my basement.

Frejus by iabisdb, on Flickr

This is the mount. 2-inch diameter aluminum tubing, 1/8-inch wall. 2-inch diameter dowel. Scrap 8/4 cherry, but anything will do.

I don't have a lathe, so I manually "turned down" 3 inches of the dowel to the ID of the of the aluminum pipe, pounded it into the the pipe, a tight fit. Made a fixture to clamp 2 pipes with inserted dowel and used a 1 1/4-inch hole saw to make the cutouts. Since they were clamped together, the hole saw drilled "1" hole. It was easy. I used wood because the paint rests on wood, no real worries about marring the paint.

On the back I had my local welder add a piece of 1-inch x 1/8-inch flat stock to the pipe. I think he charged me $30 to do 12 of them. This allows the addition of the keyhole slot and a means to add the decorative cherry. It also may increase the load area onto the wall, but it may not and probably doesn't need to. Then, with a single screw driven into a stud, drop it on using the keyhole slot.

Old 01-13-24, 10:42 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Ah, not true! I think one of those little 1960s Moult...err, nevermind - same thing!
I thought of mounting the Moulton on the other wall. The center of gravity of a small wheel bike means it'll flip over and fall off

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-13-24, 10:45 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by iab
I don't have a lathe, so I manually "turned down" 3 inches of the dowel to the ID of the of the aluminum pipe, pounded it into the the pipe, a tight fit. Made a fixture to clamp 2 pipes with inserted dowel and used a 1 1/4-inch hole saw to make the cutouts. Since they were clamped together, the hole saw drilled "1" hole. It was easy. I used wood because the paint rests on wood, no real worries about marring the paint.

On the back I had my local welder add a piece of 1-inch x 1/8-inch flat stock to the pipe. I think he charged me $30 to do 12 of them. This allows the addition of the keyhole slot and a means to add the decorative cherry. It also may increase the load area onto the wall, but it may not and probably doesn't need to. Then, with a single screw driven into a stud, drop it on using the keyhole slot.
Those are gorgeous. Did you use any particular method to crown the wooden caps? The shape and bevel is beautifully uniform.

-Kurt

Old 01-13-24, 11:13 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

I thought of mounting the Moulton on the other wall. The center of gravity of a small wheel bike means it'll flip over and fall off

-Kurt
And the wall with it if we're talking Huffys. But then again, why play w/ fire trying to break the universe? Mine lives squarely on the ground so as to not upset the space-time continuum

Old 01-13-24, 11:17 AM
iab

Those are gorgeous. Did you use any particular method to crown the wooden caps? The shape and bevel is beautifully uniform.

-Kurt
Rounded it on the belt sander after fitting to the pipe. Just eye-balled it.
Likes For iab:
Old 01-13-24, 09:45 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Very nice! Being such a cheapskate, I used A/C brackets and a recycled gas pipe to hang my bikes
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 01-13-24, 10:28 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Reynolds
Very nice! Being such a cheapskate, I used A/C brackets and a recycled gas pipe to hang my bikes
I like the way you think. I as well, use gas pipe to secure my...gas pipe

Old 01-14-24, 06:17 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Utilitarian, but these Stalwart Bike Wall Mounts work great. I have three in my garage and they work pretty well for fiddling with drive trains.
Old 01-14-24, 12:26 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 540 Posts
Just be aware that if you display your bike in front of a window, do it where the sun will not shine through the window because the UV rays will eventually fade your paint and dry out the rubber and plastic parts on he bike. A north facing window will be best.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 01-14-24, 01:43 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Here’s my setup for showing off my favorite (now defunct) frame by itself. It’s a plank of maple with a couple stainless angle brackets to hold it to the wall. The stands for the axles is chunks of maple enclosing conventional QR axles with bolt-on skewers to hold the dropouts. The stands aren’t quite right- I carved them up with a handheld circular saw before I had my table saw set up.
(Don’t hate on the recumbent. It’s 25 years old and I broke it behind the head tube. Unsalvageable but still pretty.)

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 01-14-24, 03:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

And the wall with it if we're talking Huffys. But then again, why play w/ fire trying to break the universe? Mine lives squarely on the ground so as to not upset the space-time continuum
Only two rooms in the house are concrete slab. The Moulton hasn't broken through the joists.

I do have to show you the Bad Idea Cranbrook (modern) that I'm converting into an e-bike. I didn't want the thing, but a really rough Bafang rear hub fell into my lap concurrently with this frame and some other unwanted parts. The hub was gladly purchased, but the rest showed up against my wishes (long story). The e-bike conversion is the most obvious way to get rid of everything without a loss, and it will involve the MIG welder.

Originally Posted by iab
Rounded it on the belt sander after fitting to the pipe. Just eye-balled it.
Spot on perfect. Lovely work.

Originally Posted by Chombi1
Just be aware that if you display your bike in front of a window, do it where the sun will not shine through the window because the UV rays will eventually fade your paint and dry out the rubber and plastic parts on he bike. A north facing window will be best.
Curtains on order, curtain rod has arrived, and I'm going absolutely nuts trying to get the following chrome curtain rod bracket in chrome. It's available everywhere on Amazon for $18 for a pair if I were to stoop to a brushed nickel finish (nope!). If I want chrome, almost nobody has it (except in the UK) and they're all $22-28...each.

I've noticed that shopping for decent "polished chrome" home goods is next to impossible, bathroom accessories included. It's as if the ban on chrome plating has expanded to a ban on chrome plated imports (though just to be clear, that's not the case, there's no ban on importing chromed goods into the US).

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Here’s my setup for showing off my favorite (now defunct) frame by itself. It’s a plank of maple with a couple stainless angle brackets to hold it to the wall. The stands for the axles is chunks of maple enclosing conventional QR axles with bolt-on skewers to hold the dropouts. The stands aren’t quite right- I carved them up with a handheld circular saw before I had my table saw set up.
(Don’t hate on the recumbent. It’s 25 years old and I broke it behind the head tube. Unsalvageable but still pretty.)
Beautifully executed. And it is pretty.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-14-24, 07:18 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Okay Kurt, you have me at “ involves a MIG welder”, you have to post this project here. Pretty please🙏

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 01-15-24, 07:10 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 2,196 Times in 963 Posts
Kurt, the only cause for the lack of chrome plated fixtures in that designers and consumers want us to only purchase nickel fixtures. If you wait long enough chrome should re-emerge. You might try some salvage or antique shops. Of course you won't find that style, but you shoul be able to find something in chrome.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 01-15-24, 08:31 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Kurt, the only cause for the lack of chrome plated fixtures in that designers and consumers want us to only purchase nickel fixtures. If you wait long enough chrome should re-emerge. You might try some salvage or antique shops. Of course you won't find that style, but you shoul be able to find something in chrome.
It has to be cheaper to plate the product with nickel only, rather than nickel followed by chrome. I can also see more rejects given that chrome will be less forgiving to nicks or errors.

I wound up finding a US source, finally. $130 for five of those suckers. Ouch.

-Kurt

Old 01-15-24, 10:12 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Very nice trick with those "motorcycle turn signals"

never would have thought of that !

/markp
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 01-15-24, 11:49 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 407 Posts
I've noticed that shopping for decent "polished chrome" home goods is next to impossible, bathroom accessories included.
Possibly as bad as finding anything in polished brass. Which could also be an interesting motif from bike-display stuff.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 01-15-24, 01:24 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Possibly as bad as finding anything in polished brass. Which could also be an interesting motif from bike-display stuff.
Haven't tried, but now that you mention it, I have seen precious little of that in my search.

Side note: The US source for those curtain rod hangers just sent me this:

Thank you for your order. I'm sorry to report that we can no longer access the Chrome finish in this bracket. The closest I have now is Polished Nickel. Please advise if you are willing/able to substitute - or - if you prefer a refund.

​​​​​​​Here we go again.

-Kurt

Old 01-15-24, 01:36 PM
iab

To be fair, curtain rod holders get zero wear/abuse. Chrome plating certainly isn't needed, Whats wrong with polished nickel? My 1939 Paglianti is polished nickel.
Old 01-15-24, 01:38 PM
iab

And just my .02, an inset roller-curtain is the way to go for that window. Just sayin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.