Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Nutrition before riding

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Nutrition before riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 05:38 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
"Actual food!" Yes, and the closer to the soil, the better.
It seems like it should be common sense to eat "actual food", but I've come to realize that there is an entire younger generation that has been brain washed to eat mostly processed and fast foods. They actually have no clue what real food is.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 03-06-24, 06:18 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
It seems like it should be common sense to eat "actual food", but I've come to realize that there is an entire younger generation that has been brain washed to eat mostly processed and fast foods. They actually have no clue what real food is.
Younger generation? What nonsense.

When I grew up in the 60's and 70's the buzz was Kraft Mac n Cheese, space food (remember space food?), instant mashed potatoes, Chef Boyardee, Hostess fruit pies, just-add-water pancakes, SPAM, and peach slices in heavy syrup. My mom grew up on a farm drinking whole milk from the cows and potatoes from the yard, and we'd get a side of beef in the freezer each year, but the majority of our caloric content was the tinned, powdered, processed garbage pitched by June Cleaver types on the tube.

Anyone of any age who wants to eat healthy food has to go against the entire culture and food industry. Everything at the grocery is designed to maximize their profit. Every advertisement is a lie.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-06-24, 06:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,871 Times in 3,015 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
Young and old from what I can see, especially the lower educated. Processed foods are nothing new either.
Old 03-07-24, 04:33 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
When I left home and went to a university myself and my fellow students needed to learn how to cook and how to bake. All we ate was homemade soups and homemade bread. We saved a lot of money and enjoyed much tastier food and no worries about additives. My wife and I still make our own soups and bread and buy only organic produce. But I have been doing this for more than 50 years.

Processed food got its popularity from its use with soldiers during the wars. Kraft produced the first "shelf stable" cheese product that is now sold as Velveeta. What has changed in recent years is the removal of fiber and nutrients to lengthen shelf life and the need to add flavoring agents and emulsifiers and fat and salt. The UPF food like products contain many ingredients that no one would have in their kitchens and so would never be found in homemade meals.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 03-09-24, 11:54 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,646 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Younger generation? What nonsense.

When I grew up in the 60's and 70's the buzz was Kraft Mac n Cheese, space food (remember space food?), instant mashed potatoes, Chef Boyardee, Hostess fruit pies, just-add-water pancakes, SPAM, and peach slices in heavy syrup. My mom grew up on a farm drinking whole milk from the cows and potatoes from the yard, and we'd get a side of beef in the freezer each year, but the majority of our caloric content was the tinned, powdered, processed garbage pitched by June Cleaver types on the tube.

Anyone of any age who wants to eat healthy food has to go against the entire culture and food industry. Everything at the grocery is designed to maximize their profit. Every advertisement is a lie.
You forgot Swanson TV dinners. Just pop in the oven for 40 mins - no microwaves back then.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-10-24, 12:56 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You forgot Swanson TV dinners. Just pop in the oven for 40 mins - no microwaves back then.
Salisbury steak was good but I really liked chicken pot pie.
Likes For pepperbelly:
Old 03-10-24, 09:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I was partial to Banquet brand frozen pot pies myself. Chicken or turkey were good, beef was nasty. The other brand had no shell just a pastry topping, and was substandard all around.

Reading The Jungle in high school changed my views. I expect that's just considered leftist communist propaganda today (which was Sinclair's intent by the way. He said "I aimed for their heart and hit them in the stomach"), but I'm sure the food industry's motives are unchanged.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 03-10-24, 11:04 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I was partial to Banquet brand frozen pot pies myself. Chicken or turkey were good, beef was nasty. The other brand had no shell just a pastry topping, and was substandard all around.

Reading The Jungle in high school changed my views. I expect that's just considered leftist communist propaganda today (which was Sinclair's intent by the way. He said "I aimed for their heart and hit them in the stomach"), but I'm sure the food industry's motives are unchanged.
I think mom bought Banquet pot pies, not Swanson. The ‘60s and ‘70s were a long time ago. I do remember having to poke holes in the top with a fork before putting it in the oven.
I never tried the beef. Turkey was ok but chicken was my favorite.
Old 03-11-24, 04:23 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
I think mom bought Banquet pot pies, not Swanson. The ‘60s and ‘70s were a long time ago. I do remember having to poke holes in the top with a fork before putting it in the oven.
I never tried the beef. Turkey was ok but chicken was my favorite.
Our generation had patience. After heating up a chicken pot pie, you could leave it out in your snow-covered yard overnight, and the next morning it still had enough thermal energy in it to power a city of 30,000 people. Nope, still too hot.
Likes For calamarichris: