Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My new bike - Felt F2 with Di2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-10, 07:43 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello everyone-- I just took delivery of my new bike. It is a Felt F2 with Di2. Later this morning I will take her out for a short (30 mile) shakedown cruise. My camera is MIA but here is a picture from the Felt website. I will take some pictures with my Blackberry but the quality will be shoddy at best.

Last edited by Vireo; 05-23-10 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-22-10, 08:48 AM
sojourn

Bikes: Domane 9.0 sl

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you DOG!
I'm jealous......full ride report please Vireo. MAN I like that bike......
Old 05-22-10, 08:53 AM
ColorChange
3 seconds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very Nice!

You're gonna love Di2.
Old 05-22-10, 11:28 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recently bought a Felt ZC and it has to be one of the nicest riding bikes I have ever owned
Old 05-22-10, 11:55 AM
pabuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
I recently bought a Felt ZC and it has to be one of the nicest riding bikes I have ever owned
I'm trying to figure out how I can possibly justify a ZC. How is yours equipped?
Old 05-22-10, 01:52 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Bikes: Tommasini Tecno, Pinarello Tandem, Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixed Gear, Serotta CSI Custom, Bianchi Campione del Monde, Cervelo P3 Carbon

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColorChange
Very Nice!

You're gonna love Di2.
You are so right on the Di2.

I was supposed to be on a solo 30 mile noodle ride and just by chance I was overtaken by a club ride so what was I to do? I jumped in of course. I rode a little tempo with them, and then a little more than tempo. I got a chance to do a few sprints with a 1018 watt max sprint. I know it's not that high but I'm an Ultra cyclist so my Fast Twitch muscle is gone - if I ever had any. The bike felt plenty stiff and yet was comfy enough throughout the whole ride.

To be honest with all of you I never did a test ride on the bike. I haven't test ridden my last few bikes either. My R3SL was another one of the bikes I just bought on blind faith. I am truly impressed with the ride quality of this bike. I use the same wheelset on all my bikes. I have a set of Easton Orion II with a Power Tap 28H rear. Same tires (Continental 4000S) same tire pressure (110 PSI) and I can tell the difference between all my bikes. I am really impressed with this bike.

The Di2 is freakin' fantastic. I have poo pooed it in other threads but I am loving it now. It is still very expensive in my opinion. The idea of electronic shifting has grown on me. Now that I actually own it I can't imagine not riding it.

So far the changes to stock have been:

1. Removed the Shimano RS80 wheels which are very good wheels but I ride a Power Tap. I will sell those on Ebay. Brand new never been ridden. I put on my Easton Orions II as I mentioned above.

2. Removed the stock saddle and seatpost. Felt branded -- good stuff but I have a saddle and seatpost I like better. I will be selling the seatpost and saddle on Ebay. I put on an Easton EC90 seatpost and a San Marco Regale carbon rail saddle.

Upcoming changes as the funds become available in order:

1. Remove Ultegra brake calipers and replace with Dura-Ace brake calipers

2. Possible bar and stem change as I dial in position. Pro Vibe carbon bar and stem.

3. SRM 7900 Crank so that I can start using the rest of my wheel inventory -- like my Zipp Zed tech 2 with Ceramic bearings. They have been sitting around collecting dust because I want to use my power meter on climbing races.

Power data from my first ride on Felina.

Last edited by Vireo; 05-23-10 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-22-10, 08:10 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And now for some pics....

Old 05-22-10, 08:29 PM
kayakdiver
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't see the battery... It's hiding where?

Sweet bike OP
Old 05-22-10, 08:37 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kayakdiver
I can't see the battery... It's hiding where?

Sweet bike OP
Left chainstay right behind the bottom bracket on a dedicated plate.

Thank you
Old 05-22-10, 09:20 PM
Phil85207
Century bound

Bikes: Felt AR4 and Cannondale hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
If you are as happy with your Felt as I have been with my last two, you will be one happy cyclist.
Here my current ride, and loving it.
I must say that had I to do it over again... Your bike sure looks mighty good.
Why is it that I always second guess myself?

https://2009.feltracing.com/09-catalo...es/09-ar4.aspx
Old 05-23-10, 08:48 AM
sojourn

Bikes: Domane 9.0 sl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job, that is one sweet bike!
Thanks for the report & pics Vireo.
Now....if I could only figure out a way for the wife to not totally freak out by spending such big $$'s on, as she puts it, "A bike?!? That much for a BICYCLE?!?".........lol......lol......
Old 05-23-10, 09:51 AM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sojourn
Good job, that is one sweet bike!
Thanks for the report & pics Vireo.
Now....if I could only figure out a way for the wife to not totally freak out by spending such big $$'s on, as she puts it, "A bike?!? That much for a BICYCLE?!?".........lol......lol......
Yeah well the key is to just buy it and not tell her how much it costs. So many of my customers split their bill some cash some credit and they never tell their spouses how much they spent.
Old 05-23-10, 10:37 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pabuck
I'm trying to figure out how I can possibly justify a ZC. How is yours equipped?
I put ultegra 6700 on it, bontrager x-lite wheels, easton carbon seat post, selle sam marco xsilte aspide saddle, deda compact bars and deda stem.

I have always used D/A on all my bikes but this time around I just couldn't justify an extra $1350.00, I paid $1090.00 for the ultegra 6700.

I find the ultegra 6700 to shift flawless, spot on and to be honest no difference between the d/a except for a little extra grams in weight
Old 05-23-10, 03:21 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so under 17 lbs with a power tap ?? Dang!!! that's sweet!!

nice purchase there.
Old 05-23-10, 03:30 PM
Sourpuss Magee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a beautiful bike, no doubt. I just get why I would want any essential object of my bike powered by a battery.

Last edited by Sourpuss Magee; 05-23-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 05-23-10, 03:32 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
ooooooo ahhhhhhhh

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 05-23-10, 03:45 PM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vireo
Yeah well the key is to just buy it and not tell her how much it costs. So many of my customers split their bill some cash some credit and they never tell their spouses how much they spent.
Why didn't I think of this before?!
Old 05-23-10, 04:00 PM
Sourpuss Magee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Point made...and it's a great bike. But still...there's a battery. Can't get my mind over that.
Old 05-23-10, 04:05 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sourpuss Magee
It's a beautiful bike, no doubt. I just get why I would want any essential object of my bike powered by a battery.
Thank you.

"The Di2 battery lasts from between 600 miles (lots of shifting in cold, cold weather) up to 1,500 miles between charges, but we're told 1,000 miles is a pretty safe interval they've been getting in pre-release tests. There is no "charge memory" in the battery, so you can recharge it as often as you like, though Shimano recommends once a week or so if you're a daily rider. They say the battery can go 300 charge cycles at 100% integrity; charging once a week means almost six years. After the 300 cycles, its charge will be somewhat diminished, though pretty good. Once the battery is empty, it takes 1.5 hours for the battery to receive a complete charge."

Source

"At a feather light 71g, the DI2 battery pack powers your entire system. On average, the battery can hold a charge for 1000 miles. Your current battery charge level can be checked through the front wire kit."

Source

Come on -- you can't charge the battery once a week for 90 minutes? 1,000 miles for a lot of people can be two months of riding. If someone can't take 90 minutes in 2 months to charge their battery they deserve to have the battery run down on them. Remember the battery is on standby between shifts which I guess is good news for triathletes since they don't shift much and especially their front der.

and as far as essential battery powered objects...iPods, Power Taps, SRM's, Garmin's, heart rate monitors and pace makers are all battery powered. Riding Single Speed to get home isn't much of an inconvenience compared to having your heart stop...just sayin'
Old 05-23-10, 04:12 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
so under 17 lbs with a power tap ?? Dang!!! that's sweet!!

nice purchase there.
Yes under 17lb with a Power Tap training wheel set. Here is a picture with my Zipp Zed tech 2's now we're getting close to 15lb with pedals -- of course. I figure the SRM crank will add another 100-150 grams.

Thank you.

Old 05-23-10, 06:59 PM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HAMMER MAN
I put ultegra 6700 on it, bontrager x-lite wheels, easton carbon seat post, selle sam marco xsilte aspide saddle, deda compact bars and deda stem.

I have always used D/A on all my bikes but this time around I just couldn't justify an extra $1350.00, I paid $1090.00 for the ultegra 6700.

I find the ultegra 6700 to shift flawless, spot on and to be honest no difference between the d/a except for a little extra grams in weight
New Ultegra 2010 6700 8pc Gruppo at Eurobikeparts for $850+shipping FTW!

https://www.eurobikeparts.com/products.php?cat=46
Old 05-23-10, 07:33 PM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Given all your proposed changed to the original bike and the fact that you will be selling off a lot/all of what you are taking off, wouldn't it be much simpler and economical to just buy the frameset and the Di2 deraillers/battery/briefter in addition the specific parts you wanted to add?

Also, why the SRM in this day and age when it seems like the Quark cinco is half the price, just as accurate, and much simpler to repair/change batteries? Just curious.

Nice bike BTW!
Old 05-23-10, 07:50 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgasmd
Given all your proposed changed to the original bike and the fact that you will be selling off a lot/all of what you are taking off, wouldn't it be much simpler and economical to just buy the frameset and the Di2 deraillers/battery/briefter in addition the specific parts you wanted to add?

Also, why the SRM in this day and age when it seems like the Quark cinco is half the price, just as accurate, and much simpler to repair/change batteries? Just curious.

Nice bike BTW!
For one, the quarq has a significant lead time on new units, and I think vireo can justify spending the extra $$ to get the product now.
Old 05-23-10, 09:29 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dgasmd

Nice bike BTW!
Good question. The reason I got the complete bike is because my sponsorship with Felt was such that getting the complete bike "as is" would cost me less than just buying the Di2 only at employee prices (which is below wholesale). So by the time I make the changes and sell off the things I don't need/want I will have gotten this bike for a song. The RS80's are $900 retail and I had someone already offer me $600 for them. I will come out more than ok on this deal.

SRM Quark-- The 7900 Crankset was designed specifically for Di2. I have not seen a Quark crank for Di2. SRM has one and who can argue that SRM is not the gold standard of power meters?

and yes I think so too.
Old 06-03-10, 07:22 PM
Vireo
labeled rude by nOObs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vireo
Good question. The reason I got the complete bike is because my sponsorship with Felt was such that getting the complete bike "as is" would cost me less than just buying the Di2 only at employee prices (which is below wholesale). So by the time I make the changes and sell off the things I don't need/want I will have gotten this bike for a song. The RS80's are $900 retail and I had someone already offer me $600 for them. I will come out more than ok on this deal.

SRM Quark-- The 7900 Crankset was designed specifically for Di2. I have not seen a Quark crank for Di2. SRM has one and who can argue that SRM is not the gold standard of power meters?

and yes I think so too.
I got my Dura-Ace wheels today yay!! Here you go!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.