Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

headlights for dusk

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 12:04 PM
notwist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
headlights for dusk

Can anyone suggest a headlight for those early morning training rides where it's not complete darkness but dark enough to the point that a light would be needed. Just browsing some online cycling retailers, I see headlights ranging from $20 to $100.
Old 04-13-11, 12:28 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd go with a P7 flashlight myself. in my experience, dawn/dusk is when you need MORE light because you may be riding into the sun. I want a really, really strong taillight at those times too.

You can get a P7 flashlight with mount, batteries and charger for $50 to $80 and they're really quite bright. At dawn/dusk you will probably want the option of a strobe.

There are also fairly powerful smaller lights that take AA cells, I'm sure someone will point them out, and also my advice for "P7" flashlights is likely out of date, there are probably brighter and/or cheaper LEDs on the market now, I bought my P7 a year ago (I use it as a backup to my MagicShine). I use my MagicShine daily but I think the P7 is probably easier to deal with. The MS works for me because I also have their taillight and an aftermarket high capacity battery. But you can't beat the simplicity of a nice bright flashlight.
Old 04-13-11, 03:43 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I have one of these and it is as bright as my P-7 light. https://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafi...-1-18650-55241
I have been using it as a flashing day-time light. It gets about 1.5 hours on high and 3.5 on flash mode.
Old 04-14-11, 10:07 AM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I have and really like the Planet Bike Blaze headlights. These run on two AA batteries and provide enough light to ride by and are extremely bright in flash mode. I've had oncoming cars flash their brights at me when running one of these during the day in heavy overcast conditions. I have both the 1W and 2W versions. The 2W is a bit brighter and bluer in color, but the 1W is no slouch and the batteries last considerably longer. Batteries last many hours, especially in flash mode. It's really easy to take on and off, either leaving the mount on the bike or by removing the mount. Shop around and you can find these for under $50.

For more extensive nighttime excursions I have a much bigger 700+ lumen rechargeable light.
Old 04-14-11, 10:37 AM
vmaniqui

Bikes: Dahon Speed TR and Dahon Speed Pro TT

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
i used this. https://www.dealextreme.com/p/flood-t...nt-3-aaa-26800

awesome light for the price ( i bought 2). even brighter than my Stella Light and Motion 120. may i also say that the built quality is excellent. recently i bought 2 Cree flashlights from eBay claiming to have a 300L but nowhere it is near this light. avoid those Cree lights they are selling @ eB... not worth it. in fact i also bought the headlamp thinking i can put it on my helmet - and same crappy workmanship. dealextreme is pretty good.
Old 04-14-11, 02:29 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Riding at dusk can be challenge because you are dealing with drivers who may not be awake yet.. I always ride with 2 lights, 1 to see and the other in a flashing mode to be seen by drivers..
Old 04-14-11, 05:44 PM
Looigi

Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by socalrider
Riding at dusk can be challenge because you are dealing with drivers who may not be awake yet..
Usually more of a problem at dawn than dusk. At dusk, you are dealing with drivers who may not be drunk yet.