Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Where can I find a small diameter seat tube?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 12:49 PM
aprhockey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On Nova Cycles' website, it seems that the smallest outside diameter seat tube is 28.6mm. Is this pretty much the standard or could I find smaller (say 26mm OD)? I'm not looking for anything fancy, steel is plenty good enough.

I'm asking because I built a bamboo frame and I want to sink in a seat tube. The inside diameter of the bamboo seat tube is about 26mm.

If they don't make them smaller, I'll have to replace the bamboo seat tube with a larger pole that I have. Which requires grinding down the joint at the bottom bracket and the seat tube/stays cluster.

Any help is appreciated
Old 09-24-11, 01:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
you will have problems finding a seat post for anything other than a 28.6mm tube. But you can go to many suppliers of 4130 tubing and get something smaller. You will probably find yourself having problems with the seat post. You want .2mm of difference between the seat post and the inner diameter of the tube
Old 09-24-11, 03:21 PM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
28.6 is standard. The only thing smaller was a Metric (French) seat tube, which was 28.0mm.
Old 09-24-11, 06:10 PM
aprhockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright. Thanks for the info.

I have a decent amount of work to do, but hey, that means I can try to make the frame better.
Old 09-25-11, 07:46 AM
mudboy

Bikes: Ruckelshaus Randonneur, Specialized Allez (early 90's, steel), Ruckelshaus Path Bomber currently being built

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would think that building a "mast" type seat tube would be the way to go with bamboo.
Old 09-25-11, 08:44 AM
aprhockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had never heard of a mast type seat tube. Rather than a seat post clamping into the seat tube, what you're referring to clamps around the seat tube? Unfortunately I don't have any spare bamboo poles long enough to give me the correct saddle height without a seat post. Currently my seat post extends almost 5 inches above the seat tube.

This is the bike I'm referring to. It was my first build. It took about a month this summer.

The seat post is currently held in place primarily by epoxy... I thought a liberal amount of grease on the seat post would allow me to slide it out of the seat tube when the epoxy had dried. I was trying to get a small build up of epoxy inside the seat tube to give the seat post a better fit. Anyway, I had set it to the correct height just in case and it worked fine.

~130 miles later I hear a distinct crack while riding. After inspection it looks like the joint at the bottom bracket and seat tube has cracked. This is where my original question came in. I will have to redo that joint, which will give me the opportunity to correct the sinking of the seat post by either keeping the same bamboo seat tube and finding a steel seat tube to fit inside (which would have to have an OD of 26mm) or I have one spare pole that is large enough to sink a 28.6mm seat tube.

Sorry for the book, but I never really told the whole story so here it is. If anybody can think of a better solution I'm all ears.
Old 09-25-11, 11:20 AM
GrayJay

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
Try using a 1" (25.4mm) tube? Finding a standard seatpost to fit inside that tube would likely be tough.
Old 09-25-11, 03:24 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Try here: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...bing_short.php
Old 09-25-11, 04:36 PM
aprhockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link JohnDThompson. Just ordered a tube from there... much cheaper than the tubes I was looking at before (nova cycles) since I only need about 6 inches.

I've decided I'll replace the whole seat tube with a bigger diameter bamboo pole I have. I think it'll make things easier in the long run.
Old 09-27-11, 09:29 AM
rodar y rodar
weirdo

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
APR, it might still be a good idea to replace that tube with a bigger one, but you might be able to save the one you have. I don`t know what tube you just ordered from Aircraft Spruce, but if the ID allows you slide a short 7/8 tube into it, you should be able to use an adaptor clamp thingie. At least I THINK that would work.

https://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2536
Old 09-30-11, 07:27 AM
aprhockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a tube with a 1 1/8" OD (28.6mm) and 1.055" ID (~26.8mm). I'm going to sink that tube into the bamboo seat tube, and then a standard 26.8mm seat post fits perfectly into the metal seat tube. The outside diameter fits a standard clamp. Unfortunately last night, what was going to be the replacement bamboo tube developed a tiny crack ... I cooked it too long in the oven. I'm running low on spare poles but I think I can still manage with what I have. I'll try to post some repair pics when I have them.