Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

29er Questions

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

29er Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-14, 11:54 AM
tjax
Photon-Ninja

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
29er Questions

So I pulled the trigger and purchased a 29er. I have a road bike and a hybrid, and have always wanted a 29er, but knew I would use it the least. So this weekend I went to a big tent discontinued bike sale, and purchased a 2013 Trek Wahoo 29er for $425. The price was right, and I always wanted one.

I purchased the bike on a whim, and knew that the bike only has mechanical disk brakes, and no lockout on the fork. So after much research I still can't figure out which reasonably priced hydraulic brakes and fork to get for this bike, so I thought I would ask you guys, the Mtn bike experts. So I put a few of my questions below.

1.) Should I replace the fork? Only reason I want to do so is to get a lockout feature. However many people state that they never even use lockout, is it something I should be dead set on getting? If not, I may forego the new fork purchase.

2.) What kind of Hydraulic brakes should I get? Can I install them myself? Are they hard to install? Where should I buy them from?

I know that many of you would prefer to have spent $1000 plus on a 29er, however I did that with my road and hybrid bike. So keep in mind that I would like the costs to be in line with how much I paid on the bike (I don't need a $750 fork).

All advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-26-14, 12:04 PM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tjax
So I pulled the trigger and purchased a 29er. I have a road bike and a hybrid, and have always wanted a 29er, but knew I would use it the least. So this weekend I went to a big tent discontinued bike sale, and purchased a 2013 Trek Wahoo 29er for $425. The price was right, and I always wanted one.

I purchased the bike on a whim, and knew that the bike only has mechanical disk brakes, and no lockout on the fork. So after much research I still can't figure out which reasonably priced hydraulic brakes and fork to get for this bike, so I thought I would ask you guys, the Mtn bike experts. So I put a few of my questions below.

1.) Should I replace the fork? Only reason I want to do so is to get a lockout feature. However many people state that they never even use lockout, is it something I should be dead set on getting? If not, I may forego the new fork purchase.

2.) What kind of Hydraulic brakes should I get? Can I install them myself? Are they hard to install? Where should I buy them from?

I know that many of you would prefer to have spent $1000 plus on a 29er, however I did that with my road and hybrid bike. So keep in mind that I would like the costs to be in line with how much I paid on the bike (I don't need a $750 fork).

All advise is greatly appreciated.
1. Will you install the new fork yourself? If not, factor installation cost into the fork's price. Personally, I wouldn't change the fork just to gain lock out. Disclaimer: I ride a fully-rigid 29er.

2. Some brakes are easier to install than other brakes. If you don't have to shorten the hoses and/or bleed the brakes, they're not that difficult to install. If you shop around you can find good deals on overstock or older models/versions.
Old 03-26-14, 12:23 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Mechanical disc brakes work fine.

As for the lockout feature, I've rarely bothered to use it, and wouldn't find the absence of it to be a big deal.

You can easily spend as much as the bike cost you on making these 2 changes. I'd either ride what I bought as is, or return it, and buy a bike with those features in the $800-1000 range, which is what your going to end up at total anyway.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 03-26-14, 03:33 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most likely, the fork on the Wahoo isn't great, but it's not worth it to "upgrade" to a fork that's probably no better for lockout. The lockout on cheap forks never works all that great anyway, and more expensive forks are good enough that you don't lose much power to pedaling. I don't think I'd recommend going much cheaper than a Recon. Something like this: RockShox Recon Gold TK Solo Air - 29" - 1.5" 2012 | Chain Reaction Cycles or RockShox Recon Silver TK Solo Air 29" Forks 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles Make sure it will fit your steerer tube and front hub (unless you want to buy a new front wheel...you can buy a hub and build, but that'll probably be even more expensive). FWIW, I have a non-lockout Pike on my hardtail and I don't miss it, and I never use the lockout on my full-suspension.

I like hydraulic brakes, but give the mechs a try first. You may find that they work fine for your purposes. If they're pre-bled and the hoses fit without cutting them, they're easy to install. Otherwise you may have to bleed them first.
Old 03-27-14, 12:58 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Yeah if the mechanical brakes on it now give you problems then the upgrade I'd make is to BB5s or BB7s mechanical brakes. It would be cheap and they are damn good.

As for the fork no I never use the lock out. I don't ride it on the road and that is really the only time I'd find it use full. I assume you have a suntour fork since most lowend bikes come with those. Suntour has an upgrade program and you can get a decent air fork for fairly cheap through it, well sometimes.
SR Suntour North America | SR Suntour Customer Loyalty Upgrade Program
I'd probably take a recon silver over the Raidon XC LO R for the same price.
Old 03-28-14, 08:57 PM
1speeder

Bikes: 2017 BMC Road Machine, 2014 Niner Air 9, 2022 Niner RLT, 2020 Niner Jet 9, 1993 Santana Rio, 1996 Santana Sovereign, 1996 Santana Picante,2005 Santana Team Scandium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride the bike, when something breaks or if you are not happy with the performance, then think about replacing. A top end fork will cost you double of what you paid for your bike. I too, don't like to fiddle with locking out the fork/suspension. But, I'm old school and stubborn in my ways. Nothing wrong with a good mechanical brakes, in fact, I love the BB7, they always stop well Period.

Mike
Old 03-29-14, 08:52 AM
rob!

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9 / 2006 Felt F5C / 2012 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've set up mechanical discs better than some hydraulics I've used. No need to go hydraulic.

Lockout is also a nice but unnecessary feature. I have it and almost never use it, and most of the time when I do use it I forget to "unlock" it by the top of the climb and wonder why my fork feels like crap on the way back down.

Ride your bike and rack up the miles. Instead of investing heavily into this brand new bike, save up for something nicer later as a reward for all the miles you've done.
Old 03-30-14, 06:05 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 73 Posts
They should be able to do a warranty repair or replacement on just the brakes if they were actually faulty.

Originally Posted by tjax
Hey guys thanks for the info. I actually had to return the bike because the brakes were faulty and would not clamp the disc all the way it would finitude to roll and would not work after they adjusted the bike.

That was a bummer. It was there last one. So now I have a trek x-caliber 8 and will upgrade as needed. Bummed about my super sweet deal though. Like really bummed.
Old 03-31-14, 06:48 AM
Ldosorio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Enjoy your Xcaliber 8 !
Old 04-01-14, 08:35 PM
gtrdave

Bikes: Cannondale F29, Cannondale Trail 29 ss, Cannondale CAAD8, Specialized P1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your new/better 29er. Now go ride!
Old 04-01-14, 10:51 PM
tjax
Photon-Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy
They should be able to do a warranty repair or replacement on just the brakes if they were actually faulty.
True, but I failed to mention the frame was also to big. This is what I get for always being in these forms on my phone. Lacking pertinent information.