Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Fixie Build frame TF-W vs State Bicicyle vs old 80's

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-14, 10:22 AM
TMacNJ68

Bikes: middle of Building a fixie from 1986 Ross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey everyone I'm about to build my first fixie. I'm having a lot of trouble picking the frame. These as the one's I'm picking from a TF-W frame https://m.ebay.com/itm/281155537005?nav=SEARCH or a state bicycle Matte White Frame Set | Fixed Gear Frames Forks | State Bicycle Co. or should I just hold out till I find a goo 80's frame and build it on that. Please let me know what you more experienced fixie riders think.
Old 04-24-14, 11:16 AM
bmontgomery87

Bikes: 2013 leader 721. 2015 leader 725. 2012 fuji feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what is your budget for the overall build?
Do you already have a bike and decent mechanical knowledge?
Do you have all of the tools you need to put together a bike?

By the time you buy that and the headset, you're sitting at a little over 200 dollars.
You can get a complete from state for 429. There is no way you're going to finish a build for 229 additional dollars. So you're better off just buying a complete, or if money isn't an option, starting with a better frame and buying good components. Otherwise you're going to have an 800 dollar build that is centered around a cheap frame.
Old 04-24-14, 12:09 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Keep in mind that building will cost 2-3 times as much as buying a complete. Just get a Kilo TT
Old 04-24-14, 07:02 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Okay, it's been noted that building is more expensive than buying complete, though the 2-3 times comment is dependent on how you choose components.

First question - how important is it to you that you 'build' the bike? Do you just want to acquire a bike or is the building part important to you?

Second question - what overall budget?

Third question - do you intend to keep this frame for some time, updating and changing things over the years or is this just a beginner's exercise?

If you're just after a cheap introduction to fg, buy the kilott or similar and be done with it. If you're after a decent fg bike, buy a Wabi or some of the others that get mentioned on here - there are enough threads about this that we don't have to do the work for you.

If you're interested in building a decent fg, have a chat with Scrod of Retro-gression or a similar fg specific shop, and he'll be able to provide with good advice and a box of bits to assemble while watching television. This is a sensible approach in that you'll wind up with a decent bike with a balanced set of components. Mind you, you miss out on the fun of hunting the components.

Buying an old roadie and converting it is a great way to go but unless you want to make a mess of a good frame, you need to do it with sympathy - too many good frames have been destroyed by people wanting to make a hipster fixie. It offers the advantage that you can start with a bike you can use and do it up over time - my Europa started with a quick conversion and took about three years to be complete while being in constant use that whole time. As for what to buy? We can't answer that because it depends on what catches your eye. Just make sure the frame is sound and preferably, something you can take for a good ride to make sure things work and it fits. The State bike you linked to isn't a particularly high grade frame so getting all thingy about the steel in the frame seems a bit silly in comparison. Mind you, the second hand roadie approach allows you to buy a better bike to start with.