Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Decided to go clip less.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Decided to go clip less.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-13, 10:52 AM
bunkiefd4

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decided to go clip less.

After much thought, I've decided to go clip less. I'm thinking about going with Shimano 105 pedals and I guess some Shimano shoes.

If I choose to use the Look KEO pedals, can I still use the Shimano shoes?
From what I can understand, it looks like these cleats just screw on to any shoe rite?

My budget is kinda tight rite now, the Shimano 105 pedals and the Shimano shoes I was looking at are in my price range. Am I buying cheap stuff? Should I just wait, save a little more money and buy better equipment?

The shoes by Shimano that I'm looking at are the R077 road shoes for $74.99
And the 105 pedals are $54.99

Please share any info you want about clip less are what I've talked about. I'm still very new to road bikes and I've never used clip less shoes and pedals. I'm all ears guys!
Old 05-07-13, 11:13 AM
knowledgdropper

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL3, Bianchi Cafe Milano

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMHO, much better than going clip more.
Old 05-07-13, 11:22 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
There are two "standard" styles of holes for mounting cleats to shoes. Shimano SPD-SL and Look pedals use the same three-hole mounting pattern. If your shoes have three-hole mounting patterns, they'll work.

Shimano SPD (the mountain-bike kind), and various other cleat systems, use two-hole mountain patterns. If your shoes have two-hole mounting patterns, they'll work.

Mountain-bike specific shoes or shoes with "recessed" cleats only support the two-hole mounting pattern. Most smooth-soled shoes have both the two and three hole mounting patterns, meaning that they'll work with anything.

The best shoes are the ones that fit your feet.
Old 05-07-13, 11:30 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
yup. compatible.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 05-07-13, 12:05 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

kevinF, you said the best shoes are the ones that fit your feet. I believe that to be accurate, the pedals and shoes I mentioned earlier is stuff that I'm looking at on the Internet. That's what's bad about looking at them on the net, you can't try them on. I guess what needs to happen is I need to head to the LBS and try on shoes. The LBS's are a good drive from my home, so I try to order things if I can. But in this case ill have to drive down there.
Old 05-07-13, 12:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22610 Post(s)
Liked 8,934 Times in 4,164 Posts
I do strongly encourage you to go to the LBS and get shoes in person. They may look great on the web but if they are not a good fit, you will hate yourself for getting them.

Stick with "road type" shoes (3 bolt cleat pattern) and you can get shimano spd-sl OR look keo pedals. Both systems are fine. Pick what suits your budget. Pedals you may wish to by online if you save a chunk of change.
Old 05-07-13, 12:15 PM
Diegomayra
Too Fat for This Sport

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Supersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkiefd4
Thanks for the info guys.

kevinF, you said the best shoes are the ones that fit your feet. I believe that to be accurate, the pedals and shoes I mentioned earlier is stuff that I'm looking at on the Internet. That's what's bad about looking at them on the net, you can't try them on. I guess what needs to happen is I need to head to the LBS and try on shoes. The LBS's are a good drive from my home, so I try to order things if I can. But in this case ill have to drive down there.

If you like those shoes go for it. Shoes and Saddle make a humongous difference, if you can afford to find a lighter-stiffer more comfortable shoe I would do it. Please consider that you will be using this shoe for several years, however I began on a very small budget early on and just recently began serious upgrades on my new bike. That being said, I think you will find as you mature as a cyclist and become more knowledgeable you will make informed decisions about what you can do with/without when considering costly items. My verdict: Do it! Important thing is GET ON THE BIKE.
Old 05-07-13, 12:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I started with cheap shoes. They were fine for a while, but certain parts of my shoes got very sore at the end of long, hilly rides. Eventually I stopped using them and have much better shoes.

On the other hand, I wished I'd gone clipless years ago.
Old 05-07-13, 12:50 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys I forgot to mention. I live out in a rural area, the road I live on is gravel, but I only have to go roughly 130 yards until I'm back on the black top. I push the the bike until I get on the black top, then ride from there. Will these shoes/cleats hold up to me walking on a gravel road? Or, will I have to walk in, lets say, some crocs until I get to the road and then put my shoes on?
Old 05-07-13, 01:11 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Guys I forgot to mention. I live out in a rural area, the road I live on is gravel, but I only have to go roughly 130 yards until I'm back on the black top. I push the the bike until I get on the black top, then ride from there. Will these shoes/cleats hold up to me walking on a gravel road? Or, will I have to walk in, lets say, some crocs until I get to the road and then put my shoes on?
Get Kool Kovers.
Old 05-07-13, 01:13 PM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

105 pedals is great. R077, if it fits, is a fine shoes. You can ride on gravel too nnless, the gravel is really soft making it impossible to stay balance. The shoes can handle the walking but your feet might protest a little.
Old 05-07-13, 01:37 PM
Smiziley
hmm..

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shoes by Shimano that I'm looking at are the R077 road shoes for $74.99
And the 105 pedals are $54.99
I have both of these, they've done fine for me. Don't forget to practice unclipping before you stop for the first time on the street!
Old 05-07-13, 01:51 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I do strongly encourage you to go to the LBS and get shoes in person.
Me too. And if they are helpful to you, consider buying from them as a token of support, and an investment in the future. If all our LBSs disappear, there will be nowhere to try on shoes.
Old 05-07-13, 01:57 PM
Ooompa Loompa