Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Baskets: Fold or non?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 09:53 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

After giving it some thought, I believe that a 'backpack in the basket' approach will be the way of the future for me. I've already got an Ogio pack that would be a good EDC, but I've grown to like having the air flow freely over my back since using a rack trunk.

Just trying to figure out if I should throw down on something like the Wald folder or the rear grocery on up top. I anticipate pro's and con's for each design/location.

Thoughts?
Old 05-03-12, 11:24 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use wald baskets for grocery shopping, as long as its balanced it works fine. They can carry quite a load, make sure you use plenty of Zip ties for added support.
Old 05-04-12, 05:14 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have a folding basket, because I only use it a dozen times a year or so, and I have a pannier hanging off the other side. When they're both out, it gets tough to get through doors and tight spaces.
Old 05-04-12, 06:19 AM
fusilierdan

Bikes: Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had Wald on my other bike. I liked it and felt it rode well if I needed to carry more stuff I just strapped it on top of the rack. Now I have a milk crate on top of a rack it holds more stuff but the bike seems a little off balance. I preferred the Wald set up. Mine didn't fold because I tied two reflectors to it.
Old 05-04-12, 07:04 AM
bud16415

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I like a single basket on top of the rear rack for day to day use. I attach them with the heavy duty industrial zip ties, as I find I never have an occasion to not want one on there. On my tour commuter bike I extended the racks a little wider and if I require more capacity touring or groceries I clip on my bin type panniers. On my hybrid like commuter I didn’t extend the rack but use snap clips and bungees to attach all kinds of stuff on top or the sides of the basket. Both bikes have the same basket and it fits a soft side cooler with the plastic bucket inside really well. I use that little cooler a lot.

There is nothing wrong with the side baskets and the folders work well. I had the as a kid hauling newspapers. If you don’t have any heal issues with one they will work. I just started liking the top position and as long as you can get it positioned so it’s not close to your saddle and being able to reach around and get things out of it is nice.

Old 05-04-12, 07:58 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I think the Wald folding baskets are right up there with Pletscher racks as the almost perfect accessories. That being said, they are heavy, much heavier than you would expect. If weight is an issue, a non folding basket might be a better choice.

Marc
Old 05-04-12, 08:11 AM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts
I have a folding basket on each bike, they both live inside my tiny condo. Easy to get through doors and park in crowded bike racks when folded, always ready for a quick stop at the grocery store or if I'm hauling stuff to and from work.
Old 05-04-12, 09:04 AM
toastytoad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a non folding wald basket with a backpack in front, I just used the smallest size that would hold my bag without it falling out, to be honest I dont see the benefits of using a folding basket when your just using a small basket as its not in the way.

plus its super easy to just throw the bag in without having to fold anything out
Old 05-04-12, 10:42 AM
Breathegood

Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher "Kaitai, '09 Raleigh Team", '91 Trek 8700, '97 Cannondale SR500, '12 Raleigh Twin Six

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My preference is also for a basket on top of the rack. I picked up this little gem at Wal-Mart for a whopping $14. It's the perfect size for the singlespeed because I can't load it so heavy that I have problems getting up the hills.

I have a folding basket on one side of Gary, but I haven't had the best of luck with it. It is convienient in theory, but in practice it hasn't been able to carry much of a load. Perhaps it's because I cheaped out and didn't buy a Wald. The hinges on mine are metal flaps wrapped around the edges of the individual panels and with more than about 5lbs in the basket, the flaps start to pull apart. If I am using the folding basket, I have to make sure I get a couple of bungees strapped from top to bottom if I don't want to lose my load. This is the only pic I have of my folding basket in use. I am planning on replacing the rack with one that has a lower rail for paniers and I will put a basket like the one above on top.
Old 05-04-12, 11:48 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice.
Old 05-04-12, 05:16 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bud16415
I like a single basket on top of the rear rack for day to day use. I attach them with the heavy duty industrial zip ties, as I find I never have an occasion to not want one on there. On my tour commuter bike I extended the racks a little wider and if I require more capacity touring or groceries I clip on my bin type panniers. On my hybrid like commuter I didn’t extend the rack but use snap clips and bungees to attach all kinds of stuff on top or the sides of the basket. Both bikes have the same basket and it fits a soft side cooler with the plastic bucket inside really well. I use that little cooler a lot.

There is nothing wrong with the side baskets and the folders work well. I had the as a kid hauling newspapers. If you don’t have any heal issues with one they will work. I just started liking the top position and as long as you can get it positioned so it’s not close to your saddle and being able to reach around and get things out of it is nice.

1. We have similar hydration solutions.
2. You mounted that basket 'in-line' and not 'transverse', correct?
3. How do you secure the lower cord on those panniers when mounted to your basket like that?
4. I probably won't be able to use my seat wedge with a basket mounted to the top of the rack- where'd you stash your flat kit at?
Old 05-04-12, 05:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 889 Posts
I have a pair of folding Walds on the back of my grocery getter/rain bike. (equipped with fenders)
They are on the heavy side, but OTOH, I've carried a couple 25 lb. bags of lawn food and other 50 lb. loads in them on a semi frequent basis.
It's nice being able to fold them when I'm just using the bike for foul weather

I would think a high mounted basket would be troublesome with a heavy load.
Old 05-04-12, 05:52 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I have a pair of folding Walds on the back of my grocery getter/rain bike. (equipped with fenders)
They are on the heavy side, but OTOH, I've carried a couple 25 lb. bags of lawn food and other 50 lb. loads in them on a semi frequent basis.
It's nice being able to fold them when I'm just using the bike for foul weather

I would think a high mounted basket would be troublesome with a heavy load.
I have no intention of doing any really heavy hauling. Just need a place to dump my backpack, lunch bag, or layers that are needed in the A.M. but not in the P.M.

I used my bigger backpack shoved into one of my Townie soft sided baskets today. It's a passable combo, but if it rains, that Townie may collect water and will take a while to dry off. My thinking is a metal basket will do a better job of shedding water or other debris that tends to collect at the bottom of open topped bags.
Old 05-04-12, 06:30 PM
tony_merlino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got two Wald folding baskets on my errand/utility bike. They're heavy, but I like them a lot. One of those "green bags" - the cloth grocery bags - fits in each basket, and allows you to secure something else to the rack as well, so you can carry a pretty respectable load of stuff. I can do the grocery shopping for a family of 3 with that bike, going to the store twice a week.

The folding feature is nice when I'm not carrying anything, or when I only have stuff on one side.
Old 05-04-12, 06:49 PM
redeyedtreefr0g
Mrs. Hop-along

Bikes: Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll contribute to the idea of having a container on the rear rack- I have a green Sterilite crate bungied to mine. I really like the convenience of being able to reach back and grab my washrag handkerchief while I ride. The crate holds a fair amount of stuff- usually just my purse. I have a PSP case strapped to the left side inside it to hold my multi-tool and flat patches and such.

With heavy items, my bike definitely required careful handling. A car battery is heavy. A 5-gallon container of gasoline is heavy and awkward from the liquid sloshing around. You need to find a place other than your seat post to mount rear lights. Also heavy items in the crate way up high just BEG for a better kick stand. I really want a double-leg one, like Pletscher's. I had to lean my bike very carefully against things. Stopping to wait for traffic, then taking off again required some practice, and was slightly scary.

I think I really want folding baskets, they seem like a better solution- closer to the ground, conveniently out of the way when not needed, and allows storage across them and the rear rack if even more space is needed. But, they are more expensive than my $3 Walmart crate.
Old 05-04-12, 08:21 PM
bud16415

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
1. We have similar hydration solutions.
2. You mounted that basket 'in-line' and not 'transverse', correct?
3. How do you secure the lower cord on those panniers when mounted to your basket like that?
4. I probably won't be able to use my seat wedge with a basket mounted to the top of the rack- where'd you stash your flat kit at?

I normally carry two water bottles and like the normal locations I have a camel back but seldom use it.

The baskets are made to be used on the handlebars with a special clamp and they are more of a market basket that lift off with a handle.I took all that stuff off and just kept the main basket and yes turned it so i truns length wise. I don’t care for a lot of weight high on the handlebars but in line behind the seat it handles just like your body weight is on the bike.

The touring bike the bin panniers have a clamp that holds the bottom clamped to the rack. The soft bag shown on the KHS bike is just a lap top case. I clipped it on with the rings that normally hold the shoulder strap. I have a strap on the bottom I just loop thru a wire on the basket.Sometimes I strap a rain jacket to the top of the basket or a duffle bag.

In both bikes I got the rack as close to the tire or the fender as it would go and have used all kinds of methods of caring tools and patch kits. A good place to stick them is in a soft bag in the place below the seat on the rack and in front of the basket. In that case you have the rack and the basket to strap the tool bag on. Sometimes I use the side pouch on that cooler also. And there is just enough room with the cooler in there for my cable lock to jam in there behind the seat.

All my bikes even the road bikes I like a small bag of somesorts on the bars facing me. Place for phone, wallet, etc. the tour bike I wentas big as was comfortable and removable the others are small camera bags heldon with a zip tie or two.

Last edited by bud16415; 05-04-12 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 02:33 PM
TheGabers

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 (buiding it up); 1997 (?) GT Outpost (needs work)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
That being said, they are heavy, much heavier than you would expect. If weight is an issue, a non folding basket might be a better choice.
I agree. I have a Giant Escape. It's not the lightest bike in the world, but since I installed the Wald Baskets I find the center of gravity has moved back a few inches. Not a big deal unless you're on a steep hill, or if you're tired at the end of a ride and taking the bike up some stairs.

Also, if you have any sort of fancy cushioned multi-pouch backpack (like a Swiss Army brand backpack), it might not fit in easily. Don't load up the smaller front pouches or you might not get the backpack in the basket. I bought a simple Jansport-type backpack and it works much better.
Old 05-05-12, 07:45 PM
JimCanuck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a folding basket more or less permanently attached (with screws) to one side of my rack. Comes in handy when I don't put a pannier on the other side and decide to grab some groceries or something else on the way home.

Also have a couple of bungy cords just in case for the same reasons on the rack.

Jim
Old 05-05-12, 09:55 PM
alhedges

Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I currently use the Wald 14.5 x 9.5 x 9 basket; it's zip-tied to my rear rack and is pretty much the perfect size for my backpack to sit upright in. I also have a set of the folding baskets; I've liked them since I was in college and found one by the side of the road once...I used it for years. They work very well, but they are also quite heavy (and I'm far from a gram, or even pound, weenie). If you found you used them regularly, it would be worthwhile having them, but if you just put them on because you might occasionally have some use for them, I think you would get tired of the extra weight...they weigh 2.75lbs each.
Old 05-05-12, 10:11 PM
TedC

Bikes: Nashbar CR-5

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the look of those wald baskets - but I worry about the sound, are they noisy when riding with them closed? I dont care much when they are full, but when I am not using them I would rather them be quiet.