Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimming cassette away from spokes?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-19-19, 06:50 PM
detshiva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been running a 11/40 x8 with a old altus derailer it still works ok but starting to get a little sloppy.

When I bought the cassette I also bought a sunrace Shimano comparable deraier. The cage was heavier than the altus and it hit the spokes.

Can I get/make a .050 inch give or take shim to clear the spokes.

The bike is almost a 1x, main front is 34 oval in the middle position. But I use a fraction shifter to drop onto a 22t and I can use the biggest 3 or 4 gears before the chain starts flop shifting.

I am an old man trying to deal with Arizona grades

Thanks
Tony
Old 10-19-19, 06:54 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
I'd get a better RDER.
Old 10-19-19, 08:29 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'd get a better RDER.
I agree but if you insist there are 1mm and 1.8mm and possibly other spacers available, but if you space the cassette too far out you run the risk of not engaging enough of the lockring threads into the freehub and having one or the other threads strip.
Old 10-19-19, 08:36 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by detshiva
I have been running a 11/40 x8 with a old altus derailer it still works ok but starting to get a little sloppy.

When I bought the cassette I also bought a sunrace Shimano comparable deraier. The cage was heavier than the altus and it hit the spokes.

Can I get/make a .050 inch give or take shim to clear the spokes.

The bike is almost a 1x, main front is 34 oval in the middle position. But I use a fraction shifter to drop onto a 22t and I can use the biggest 3 or 4 gears before the chain starts flop shifting.

I am an old man trying to deal with Arizona grades

Thanks
Tony
If you haven't already, consider taking the bike into a shop to make sure the rear derailleur hanger isn't bent inward. 8-speed and lower are forgiving enough that they can still index successfully with a slightly bent hanger.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-19-19, 08:39 PM
*Scuba 
Made in Taiwan

Bikes: Camerotti ti roadbike, Old Sears Free Spirit Tange Hi-Ten Single Speed built from a 12 speed, 1997 Cannondale CAD3 r500 with Shimano 6400 groupset

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
A properly set up rear derailleur, should never be able to contact the spokes. I would check to see if the RD hanger on the bike is bent. If the hanger is straight, then most likely the replacement derailleur itself is bent/damaged.
Old 10-19-19, 09:03 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I agree but if you insist there are 1mm and 1.8mm and possibly other spacers available, but if you space the cassette too far out you run the risk of not engaging enough of the lockring threads into the freehub and having one or the other threads strip.
I didn't insist ANYTHING. Where did you get that assumption? It really pisses me off when people misquote me or try to put words in my mouth.

Apparently you would rather band aid a kludge than fix it right?
OP stated-"I have been running a 11/40 x8 with a old altus derailer it still works ok but starting to get a little sloppy...."

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 10-19-19 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-20-19, 01:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I didn't insist ANYTHING. Where did you get that assumption? It really pisses me off when people misquote me or try to put words in my mouth.

Apparently you would rather band aid a kludge than fix it right?
OP stated-"I have been running a 11/40 x8 with a old altus derailer it still works ok but starting to get a little sloppy...."
The wording is nebulous, but I assume he meant the OP insisting on using a shim.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-20-19, 03:48 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The wording is nebulous, but I assume he meant the OP insisting on using a shim.
Then he should quote the OP.
Old 10-20-19, 03:58 PM
OneIsAllYouNeed

Bikes: Chinook travel/gravel/family tandem, Chinook all-road, Motobecane fatbike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 25 Posts
Switch to an 11-42 or 11-46 cassette to get more clearance between the spokes and derailleur. Consider dishing the rim a little bit left.
Old 10-22-19, 09:48 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by OneIsAllYouNeed
Consider dishing the rim a little bit left.
Bad advice. The dish should be kept so that the rim is centred between the axle locknuts, otherwise you are throwing off the balance of the bike. You would be solving one problem by creating another.

The best suggestion so far is to get a derailleur with a less bulky cage, if that is indeed the reason for the derailleur hitting the spokes. Check hanger alignment before changing anything, though.
Old 10-22-19, 10:08 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you haven't already, consider taking the bike into a shop to make sure the rear derailleur hanger isn't bent inward. 8-speed and lower are forgiving enough that they can still index successfully with a slightly bent hanger.
That's what I was thinking too. It doesn't take much to bend the derailleur hanger inward. A bike old enough to have worn out a rear derailleur is almost sure to have taken a hit sufficient to bend the hanger inward.

Whenever I encounter ANY rear shifting issue that I can't fix by adjusting cable tension the first thing that I do is to check hanger alignment. Most times, that's it.
Old 10-22-19, 01:34 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by detshiva
Hi, Tony. This is a bit of a red flag for me. The weight of the derailleur cage should not influence whether or not the cage can come into contact with the spokes. It sounds like your derailleur is not setup properly, including correct use of the low and high limit screws.

Park Tool has a very nice resource on derailleur adjustment that should help you out.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
Old 10-22-19, 01:41 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Hi, Tony. This is a bit of a red flag for me. The weight of the derailleur cage should not influence whether or not the cage can come into contact with the spokes. It sounds like your derailleur is not setup properly, including correct use of the low and high limit screws.

Park Tool has a very nice resource on derailleur adjustment that should help you out.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment
I understood 'heavier' to mean 'thicker', and OP thought the added thickness was enough to cause the interference.
Old 10-22-19, 05:19 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I understood 'heavier' to mean 'thicker', and OP thought the added thickness was enough to cause the interference.
Good point. I still suspect that the derailer is not be adjusted correctly. A Sunrace derailer would be commonly installed on bikes with 28-34 tooth large sprockets. OP has a 40 tooth large, which places the derailer even further from the hub (radially) when on the large sprocket, where the spokes are even further inboard (due to their angle from the hub to the rim). I can't imagine a setup where a properly-adjusted derailer would contact the spokes.

It certainly is possible to space the cassette outboard, using any number of 1mm shims. You can usually source these at your local bike shop for little coin (literally!). What model derailer is this, specifically? It will probably have a part number somewhere, perhaps on the inner link arm.
Old 10-23-19, 01:27 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

I and others have suggested it is likely an issue of derailleur hanger alignment, or other adjustment. Adding shims and pushing the cassette outboard would not be my desired course of action as this will lessen the number of threads engaged on the cassette lock ring and could lead to damage to the ring or (less likely) the cassette body... those lock rings need to be horsed on there good 'n' tight, so I would not think it to be a good idea to reduce thread engagement.
Old 10-27-19, 07:45 PM
detshiva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hanger is new. chain has never been in a bind

It was all new except the derailleur when installed. There is also an extinction to make the bigger cog work. 34 40 makes for a long chain that's giving me problems.

A small shim moved the cassette a lot, but the long csge derailleur is just too big. although the shim aligned the front and rear sprockets bettet and I can use more cogs on the small ring

someone said the bike needs a better rider, maybe so. Im 62 years old and have 6 to 12 percent grades on the road plus a 15% driveway once and a while.

Riding is better than pushing
thanks for all the suggestions

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
I and others have suggested it is likely an issue of derailleur hanger alignment, or other adjustment. Adding shims and pushing the cassette outboard would not be my desired course of action as this will lessen the number of threads engaged on the cassette lock ring and could lead to damage to the ring or (less likely) the cassette body... those lock rings need to be horsed on there good 'n' tight, so I would not think it to be a good idea to reduce thread engagement.
Old 10-27-19, 09:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Just because the bike and/or hanger are new doesn't mean they can't be bent slightly. I'd still take it to a shop to rule that out.
RUSA #7498