Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Airline Trail Renovation status

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-19, 05:13 PM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts

I live about 40 minutes from the southern section of the Airline Trail and enjoy riding it but the I've been avoiding the trail due to the renovation underway in East Hampton as the combination of soft dirt and heavy equipment made the ride undesirable. This is a great time of year for the trail and I'd appreciate some information on the renovation status from those who've visited the trail in East Hampton recently.
Thanks
Old 10-20-19, 06:31 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Is the Airline Trail you speak of the one in Vermont?
Old 10-20-19, 11:25 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Is the Airline Trail you speak of the one in Vermont?
No, given the mention of East Hampton that would be the one through CT, a long abandoned NYC to Boston rail line characterized by a fairly straight shot from New Haven necessitating some extreme cast iron trestles, two of which survive completely covered in fill.

Kind of wonder how steep the sides are - in historic pictures they look quite so, modern photos seem to show trees growing alongside. Reminds of some spots on the Croton Aqueduct trail where you're on berm far above a valley, and in that case can pretty much see down the hillside.

Keep meaning to get up that way and ride it!
Old 10-23-19, 08:16 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
No, given the mention of East Hampton that would be the one through CT,!
This confused me as well. East Hampton is also a town on the east end of Long Island. I've never heard of a trail there, so assumed somewhere else.
Old 10-25-19, 05:53 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
subscribed

I rode part of it from 121 Riverside Drive Thompson CT North to MA
Old 10-25-19, 07:40 PM
ct-vt-trekker

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Tarmac SL8Pro, 2022 Specialized Epic Evo, 2021 Framed Alaskan Fatbike,2019 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro, 2018 Trek Stache 9.7, 2013 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, 2009 Ritchey Breakaway Cross, 2016 Lynskey ProCross, 2008 Trek T1000 Tandem,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
I live about 40 minutes from the southern section of the Airline Trail and enjoy riding it but the I've been avoiding the trail due to the renovation underway in East Hampton as the combination of soft dirt and heavy equipment made the ride undesirable. This is a great time of year for the trail and I'd appreciate some information on the renovation status from those who've visited the trail in East Hampton recently.
Thanks
My wife and I rode it today from East Hampton to Willimantic. A fantastic day on the trail. The construction is just about finished. No trouble getting through at all. Drainage ditches are completed. The surface is a little rougher in the construction section but still could be ridden even with a road bike and thin tires. I think they may smooth out the surface in the coming weeks and maybe add a few inches of stone dust to complete the project but any bike can ride it now.