Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Ocean Parkway Construction Update

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-19, 04:10 PM
triitout

Bikes: Viscount: Pro, GP, Gran Touring, Gran Sports, custom single speed. Vitus 979, Trek Madone 5.2, Motobecane Le Champion SL Ti, Kona Koa, Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tobay to Captree construction is underway!
https://patch.com/new-york/merrick/s...tm_content=aol
Old 10-01-19, 08:02 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Wow!

40-odd years late is still way better than never.......
Old 10-03-19, 07:57 AM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Now to add bike lanes to the causway to Robert Moses!
Old 10-03-19, 11:47 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I thought you were talking about Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn! The bike lane on that is in terrible shape at the Brighton Beach end.
Old 12-13-19, 08:23 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

I drove home along the beach this morning from Bay Shore. Lots of grading is being done on the eastern end, but no paving yet. Overpasses are under construction at some of the spots where the path crosses traffic ramps at the various beach parking areas. Construction has also begun at the western end at Tobay where overpasses are required. There is a stretch in the middle around Gilgo Beach where it appears not much has been done except for cutting back brush.
Old 12-13-19, 08:50 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,049 Times in 1,171 Posts
Originally Posted by kaos joe
I drove home along the beach this morning from Bay Shore. Lots of grading is being done on the eastern end, but no paving yet. Overpasses are under construction at some of the spots where the path crosses traffic ramps at the various beach parking areas. Construction has also begun at the western end at Tobay where overpasses are required. There is a stretch in the middle around Gilgo Beach where it appears not much has been done except for cutting back brush.
I recall reading once that they don’t lay asphalt unless the overnight temps stay above 45 deg. or some such. And with all else as you’ve described, I’m figuring mid summer.
Old 12-17-19, 09:37 AM
ChiroVette

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
Now to add bike lanes to the causway to Robert Moses!
I totally agree. The problem with this Ocean Parkway construction is that it is arguably useless to anyone who doesn't live in the local area. This is not to sound ungrateful, as I think the Greenway initiative has been an unbelievable blessing to cyclists, skaters, runners, and anyone into taking in the sights. The problem for someone, say like me, who isn't from there, but who cycles a lot through Long Island, is that this future beautiful path is basically a dead end. So commuting or trying to take a longer route through Long Island is obviously untenable using this path, since you can't get back to the main part of the island from the eastern end of the path.
Old 12-17-19, 04:35 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
I'd make the trip out if I could ride over to Robert Moses Fire Island. Otherwise I'll stick to Rockaway and Long Beach if I want to do a beach ride, at least I can do that one without driving.
Old 12-17-19, 08:02 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by ChiroVette
I totally agree. The problem with this Ocean Parkway construction is that it is arguably useless to anyone who doesn't live in the local area. This is not to sound ungrateful, as I think the Greenway initiative has been an unbelievable blessing to cyclists, skaters, runners, and anyone into taking in the sights. The problem for someone, say like me, who isn't from there, but who cycles a lot through Long Island, is that this future beautiful path is basically a dead end. So commuting or trying to take a longer route through Long Island is obviously untenable using this path, since you can't get back to the main part of the island from the eastern end of the path.
I agree and think the dead end problem is never going to be dealt with, in that I think it’ll be a cold day before the State of NY puts in a dedicated bike lane up the RM causeway.

And I see few families using it, at least for its entire length, which will end up as 14 miles, JB to Captree. Papa Tom has commented many times in his posts here that he likes bike paths that have attractions - food, sights, etc.... on them as a destination and I think that holds true for a lot of riders. The OP MUT currently has nothing. It’s unclear how the town of OBY is going to deal with anybody biking into the beach, all that’s there for food currently is 2 pricy restaurants. Not much out at Captree, there might be a seasonal snack bar, not sure. I could maybe see folks driving down to Captree, paying to park and riding East.

But I suspect it’s mostly going to be Nassau cyclists who want a long ride, it’ll be a 40 RT from Cedar Creek. It’ll be a nice ride though, as long as the winds are not W-SW at 20, LOL.
Old 12-18-19, 07:48 AM
kaos joe

Originally Posted by Steve B.
I agree and think the dead end problem is never going to be dealt with, in that I think it’ll be a cold day before the State of NY puts in a dedicated bike lane up the RM causeway......... It’ll be a nice ride though, as long as the winds are not W-SW at 20, LOL.
WAAAAY back when, shortly after the Ellen Farrant path to Jones Beach was opened, the state did a one-time closure of Ocean Parkway and allowed cyclists to ride the roadway out to Captree. My Dad and Archie Andersen from up the block did the ride, my father on an ancient Hercules fixed gear. They were borne festively along by what may well have been a "W-SW at 20". And then they had to turn around.

Dad and Archie spoke of that day in hushed tones for years.

At 14 miles with NO bailout options, is this going to be the longest dead end in NY?
Old 12-18-19, 10:00 AM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by kaos joe
WAAAAY back when, shortly after the Ellen Farrant path to Jones Beach was opened, the state did a one-time closure of Ocean Parkway and allowed cyclists to ride the roadway out to Captree. My Dad and Archie Andersen from up the block did the ride, my father on an ancient Hercules fixed gear. They were borne festively along by what may well have been a "W-SW at 20". And then they had to turn around.

Dad and Archie spoke of that day in hushed tones for years.

At 14 miles with NO bailout options, is this going to be the longest dead end in NY?
I recall the Nassau/State version of the 5 Borough Bike Tour, maybe late '90's (that's 1990's) when they closed the Meadowbrook, all lanes, south of Hempstead Tpk, we rode out of the Coliseum to a rest stop at the county beach in Lido, then back north. It was a fun ride. Believe it was 1997.