Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

6'1" 235---Go Full suspension xc?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-08, 02:49 AM
ClydeBlurr
Addict

Bikes: Trek 4500 (w/upgrade-itus) building a surly karate monkey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been riding for a couple of years now and have been happy with my Trek 4500 hardtail (I even put a ridgid Surly fork on it). I've been told that FS is great and that I'd love it but I am concerned that the suspension won't support a heavy rider adequately. I also feel like switching over to a bouncy bike will hurt my technique (I don't even know if I have a technique, but ridgid makes your work and finesse it a little).

I am considering buying another bike this summer and I am debating between a really nice hardtail or a FS xc bike (and just keeping the hardtail I've got for commuting). Maybe go with a downhill or freeride bike for the tougher components? I would rather spend less than 1500 but would spend a little more for the right bike.

The LBS s in the area carry Gary Fisher and Trek in one, and Raleigh, Specialized and DB at the other. I would like to go with one of these for the service.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Front Der. are evil. anything I get will be converted to 1x9 or 1x8

Thanks

Last edited by ClydeBlurr; 04-29-08 at 03:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-29-08, 04:35 AM
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm kind of in the same boat at ~200. To be honest though, the price tags on full suspension bikes scare me more than the suspension itself.

My big concern is how all those suspension pivots will hold up once I start mashing the pedals. At 240 I could bend steel seat rails just by pedaling up hills and my Hoss still creaked like crazy under load. Given that they'e usually placed such that they accumulate a lot of crud in the course of riding, I don't really have a lot of confidence that they'll last very long for me.

DH/Freeride bikes might be able to take a bit more abuse, but the geometry of those bikes just doesn't work for me at all.

PS- With you on the 1x9 setup. It's not that front derailleurs are really all that evil, just totally unnecessary around here.
Old 04-29-08, 08:05 PM
ClydeBlurr
Addict

Bikes: Trek 4500 (w/upgrade-itus) building a surly karate monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Askel, but I'm sticking to my guns, front der. are evil AND unnecessary for me
Old 04-30-08, 01:52 AM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a XC FS bike and love it, I am 275 lbs, so I have some weight on you! You do loose a little on the climbs but the downhills and technical are super fun. If you do a fair amount of bumpy offroading I say do it, of you stay to smoother singletrack and a lot of road the hardtail may be the way to go!
Old 05-01-08, 04:48 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 230 and my best friend is close to 280 - we both ride Santa Cruz Superlights. OK neither of us are gonzo downhillers but we do get out and can do fairly technical climbs and descent - just no jumps etc. the bikes perform well. I have had no problems at all. The key I think is get a good bike with a good warranty and trust good components but don't be crazy.

A good solid bike to consider at a reasonable price is the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. Price is around $2000 - 2500.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 05-03-08, 10:37 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there's another category out there, between XC and FR/DH...it's called AM, "all-mountain", where the Jamis Dakar XLT's, the SC Nomads, the Titus El Guapo's, the Intense 6.6's live.

I ride an XLT, and I'm fully confident it can take my 225+ for a long time to come.

Whe you look to go full-suss, though, remember these words:

"coil, not air." unless you enjoy getting forks/shocks rebuilt for leaky air seals. I've blown 2 air shocks in three years just COMMUTING!