Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Things Have Changed and It's Deadly ... off-topic but life and death

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Things Have Changed and It's Deadly ... off-topic but life and death

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-11, 05:58 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
This should have been one of the early responses to this thread. Thanks for that. (even if it was sourced from the media)
Old 03-16-11, 06:35 PM
Captain Blight

Bikes: -1973 Motobecane Mirage -197? Velosolex L'Etoile -'71 Raleigh Super Course

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Lorne, I am begging you, please just go. Get out of there. Put the family on the bikes and ride straight upwind from that reactor just as fast as you please. Don't wait for help to come to you, go to where the help is waiting. One good day's ride and you're back in civilization.

Please, I am begging you. Thyroid cancer is no joke.
Old 03-16-11, 06:48 PM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In the USA, There is an organization called CERT (Community Emergency Response Team). It was started as a government response to a need for backup of professional emergency response personnel in case of a disastrous emergency. They trained us as first responders with similar training materials and subject matter.

Here is the subject matter that they provided us which gives a good overview of what to do in a nuclear emergency. https://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/dow...PM_Jan2011.doc

They do not advise leaving since you have a much higher risk of being caught in the open when you decide to evacuate. Even in your car, your exposure is much greater than if you planned for and decided to shelter at home. If you can get out of the area beforehand, go for it. I'm not sure how far Lenton58 can go between gas rationing and highway closures. I know my relatives have talked about many road/highway closures between their house and either Mito or Tokyo.

Evacuating on a non-enclosed vehicle could be the worst thing that he could do. It affords absolutely no protection in event of the worst. The best piece of advice is to get uphill and upwind. In Lenton's case, try to get to the western side of Japan and as far south as he can get. I highly doubt that he can get on a plane out, even if he can get to Narita airport. The word is that the flights out are packed already.

Our family is all hoping that Lenton and his family will end up safe wherever they end up. All we can do now is hope for the best.
Old 03-16-11, 06:50 PM
Mike Mills

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fall out from reactor venting is somewhat different than dispersal by a dirty bomb. The reason to leave is to get as far away from the reactor in the event it does spew radiation.

The strategy is to evacuate upwind, or cross-wind, even if it is slower. That way, if there were an airborne release, it would blow away from you. The fallout zones are greatly diminished upwind of the site and vastly extended downwind. You do not want to evacuate in the downwind direction.

I believe the situation is this - the government has issued evacuation orders for some areas*. They have not issued a shelter-in-place order. This means the situation is suitable for leaving. Do it.

Later on, you may not be able to do so.

I have said what I have to say, so I will stop now.

* I checked the latest reports and all governements are urging evacuation of the area. They differ on how far away is safe (20 - to 80 km) but they all agree on evacuation of the immediate vicinity. There are no shelter-in-place orders in effect. In CERT parlance, right now, it is safe to move.

Last edited by Mike Mills; 03-16-11 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-16-11, 06:59 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 89 Posts
This is the most powerful thread I've ever read on BF. Lenton58, I'm so sorry you and all the people over there are going through this. Bless all of you.
Old 03-16-11, 07:18 PM
funkflex
"Shake n Bake!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just read this entire thread with my girlfriend. Let god be with you and your family Lorne. We wish you the best and hope you all make it out of there ok. Best!
Old 03-16-11, 07:29 PM
bikenut2011
No, your OTHER left!!

Bikes: 2 motos and a schwinn (road bikes more or less)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wish you and your Family all the best, Lorne. Godspeed!

andy
Old 03-16-11, 07:46 PM
azshtr

Bikes: 1973 Shwinn Super Sport - 1981 Colnago - 2006 Cannondale CAAD 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm much closer than New York in Arizona. If you need to stay somewhere we are here.
Old 03-16-11, 07:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm confused. There's a thread where he says everything is OK, and there's this one. On which thread has he posted more recently?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-16-11, 07:59 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I'm confused. There's a thread where he says everything is OK, and there's this one. On which thread has he posted more recently?
This is the more recent thread. ie, All is not well due to the present concerns with the nuclear facility.
Old 03-16-11, 08:00 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
OK, thanks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-16-11, 08:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
this one is the most current to the situation.

I just reviewed a New York Times slide show on the configuration of most of the reactors, #3 which appears to have heavy damage to the outer structure as seen in SAT images, makes me really question if the spent fuel containment pool even exists now.
If I remember correctly this unit used plutonium partially for fuel...
Old 03-16-11, 08:06 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by repechage
this one is the most current to the situation.

....makes me really question if the spent fuel containment pool even exists now.
Earlier today, the BBC reported that Gregory Jaczko, head of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has said there is no water left in the spent fuel pool in reactor four, adding: "We believe that radiation levels are extremely high." Mr Jaczko was speaking to Congress in Washington and it was not immediately clear where his information had come from.
Old 03-16-11, 08:13 PM
eddubal
Mud, Gore & Guts

Bikes: 2012 Van Dessel Gin & Trombones; 2011 Masi Speciale SSCX; '87 Peugeot Cannonball Express

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, I heard on CNN tonight that Cesium has been found in the local water supply.
Old 03-16-11, 08:13 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I will delete any further posts questioning the decision to leave. Anyone that is paying attention should be able to understand that there is a non-zero probability of a widespread catastrophic event in Japan. No reason not to leave in my view. It's easy to say not to worry if your risk is zero. Don't do it.

And let's leave the politics out of it too, please.
Old 03-16-11, 08:19 PM
auchencrow

The Times has a fairly good recap of events for today for those of you just catching up.
Old 03-16-11, 08:40 PM
furballi

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
@ OP. Not sure if you've come across my rambling about extending the evacuation zone the other day. The best chance for stabilizing those reactors occurred during the first 48 hours. I have a lot of respect for those who are still working at the plants, but I'm afraid it's all for show. Most, if not all, have already received near-lethal dosage of radiation. It appears that the water table has already been contaminated. Stick to bottled water if possible.

I think we have another day or two before it becomes clear that those damaged cores are beyond repair. I would bike my family to safety if I was in your shoes.
Old 03-16-11, 09:20 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
For what it's worth Lenton58, I feel for you and hope everything turns out ok. I can't imagine being in a position as a father and husband and needing to decide what to do to protect my family in a situation such as this. I can offer some information though. If you have iodine pills or access to them, take them. This will greatly reduce the chance of thyroid contamination from radioactive iodine. If they (whatever gov't or agency you wish to insert here) is recommending to seal yourself in your home, do it. Different types of radiation can be stopped in different ways. Alpha particles, while fairly harmless to you outside your body (because they cannot penetrate the skin to damage internal organs) can be very dangerous if ingested or breathed in because they bounce around inside until they get passed through naturally. But these are also the particles that will be stopped by the walls of your house by sealing yourself in. Again I hope for the best and you, your family and everyone facing this situation are in my prayers.

To those worrying about a full-blown nuclear meltdown a la Chernobyl ... I personally don't feel this will be the case. Chernobyl's reactor was unique in that it had a positive temperature coefficient for a brief period, the bad period. What this means is that as the temp. of the reactor increased the ability of the reaction to take place also increased. This produced more heat which produced the ability for the reaction to increase producing more heat, etc. The plants in Fukushima will have negative temperature coefficients which means that as temp. increases the ability for the reaction to take place will decrease. That is the nature of a boiling water reactor. The water both acts as coolant and moderator. Without water, the temperature will increase and radiation will be released but the catastrophic runaway meltdown that occurred at Chernobyl will not happen in Japan. I'm not trying to say that what is going on at Fukushima is all rainbows and sunshine, it is bad and unprecedented and dangerous.

There is probably a whole different discussion that could happen on what the term 'meltdown' means but we'll save that for another time, or for the media to have.

For more on reactors and the safety of negative temperature coefficients https://energyfromthorium.com/2006/04...e-coefficient/
For more on boiling water reactors https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_water_reactor
Old 03-16-11, 09:48 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Vandalarchitect- I think the most problematic is the spent fuel, some of which was removed from service early in anticipation of the planned closure of the plant. The spent storage pools are/were housed inside the overall reactor buildings. From what I have seen there is a good chance that one or more of these are broken and or there is no current effective water cooling of the rods. The issue of a primary containment casing is a problem too. We will have to see how this plays out. Fortunately for many of us, at a distance.
Old 03-16-11, 09:50 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vandalarchitect
.... but the catastrophic runaway meltdown that occurred at Chernobyl will not happen in Japan....
FWIW - I just saw a U.C. Berkeley nuclear physicist interviewed that essentially said the same thing. His view was that this was worse than TMI, but a fraction of Chernobyl. Even his "worst case" scenario was zero deaths from radiation poisoning, but contaminated arable soil for food production in a determinable area.

I'm not a scientist, nor do I pretend to be. Just reporting what I heard first-hand. It has been my experience in disasters that the reality is typically worse than the government reports, and a whole lot less than what the media reports.

S. J. Perelman
Old 03-16-11, 10:42 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Originally Posted by repechage
Vandalarchitect- I think the most problematic is the spent fuel, some of which was removed from service early in anticipation of the planned closure of the plant. The spent storage pools are/were housed inside the overall reactor buildings. From what I have seen there is a good chance that one or more of these are broken and or there is no current effective water cooling of the rods. The issue of a primary containment casing is a problem too. We will have to see how this plays out. Fortunately for many of us, at a distance.
I agree, right now it seems like the spent fuel in open pools lacking water is the issue. Whether they are hot or not temperature-wise, they are still hot radiation-wise and without water to block that radiation it will shoot skyward. In the end I sincerely hope that the threat from nuclear radiation to those in Japan is minute compared to the earthquake and tsunami. I know that is a lot easier said with an ocean between me and Japan. The only reassurance I can give to let you know I take this seriously is that if this were to happen locally, I personally know those who would be at work attempting to reduce the threat of nuclear radiation. Most likely exposing themselves to unsafe levels to ensure the safety of others.

FWIW, I'm not any type of nuclear physicist or chemist, nor do I want to claim to be one. All I claim to be is what my screen name alludes to; I'm an architecture student with a vandal as a mascot.
Old 03-16-11, 10:48 PM
vandalarchitect
Vandalized since 2002

Originally Posted by bigbossman
Even his "worst case" scenario was zero deaths from radiation poisoning, but contaminated arable soil for food production in a determinable area.
On that note, I believe the main contaminants (cesium and iodine), have half-lives that are considered manageable, around 30 years. That means that those contaminated soils may not be fit for food production in 5 years, but in one person's lifetime they could be at levels that could be considered safe.
Old 03-16-11, 10:50 PM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
I just received this from Lorne's sister.
Glenn
https://www.vancouversun.com/news/wom...686/story.html
Old 03-17-11, 01:05 AM
Ciufalon

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
^^^
Thanks for posting that. I hope Lorne and his family are able to get out on a British or U.S. bus. Hopefully that is why we are not hearing from Lorne. I hope they are making progress to get out of Sendai and away from danger.

Last edited by Ciufalon; 03-17-11 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-17-11, 01:23 AM
matt0ne

Bikes: 90s Gios Compact Pro. 80s Battaglin w/ Dura Ace 7400s. 70s Medici Pro Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That was very encouraging. good to hear. I was pretty shaken up for a good part of the morning in concern for lorne, his family and Japan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.