Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

LBS today, need suggestions

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-13, 06:08 PM
NashNathan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Everybody,
I went to a LBS today to look around and ask questions. I was set on getting a Trek namebrand bike, but i can do something else too. This store did not carry Trek, mostly was Giant. For my size, weight and what i want to do, he suggested either the Sedona or the Cypress. In the Trek, i liked the 7100 and the Navigator, i know the Navigator is heavier and not as fast. The Sedona has wide tires like the Navigator. So i think that is their version of the Navigator, and the Cypress version of the 7100.

Will either of these bikes work well for me for my weight? 275 lbs.? Instead of the regular models of these two, i think spending the extra $100 to get the Sedona DX or Cypress DX. Both of these are the same price at the LBS. I forget which one has the adjustable handle bars, where you can move them frontwards and backwards and up and down.

All your advice will help me decide. Most of my riding will be on street here. Thank You.
Old 01-22-13, 06:40 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Just about every bike on earth will handle 275 without any special considerations - the frames are plenty strong. It's really the wheels that suffer so the IMPORTANT aspect is to get them to put wheels on your bike that stand a chance. at least 32 spokes please! And you'll want them to retension the wheels after about 200 miles (not just true them).

Other than that, Giant is a good brand, they just don't market as much as Trek or Specialized.
Old 01-22-13, 07:10 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I thought they quit making the Navigator this year.

My spouse has a Navigator and is in your weight range. It certainly is a tank but it worked well for him as his first bike back into biking. The only issue he had was that the seat post would slip. He replaced the quick release with an extra strong bolt.

He has moved on to lighter bikes, still in the hybrid family, and plans to sell his Navigator this spring.
Old 01-22-13, 07:18 PM
NashNathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I thought they quit making the Navigator this year.

My spouse has a Navigator and is in your weight range. It certainly is a tank but it worked well for him as his first bike back into biking. The only issue he had was that the seat post would slip. He replaced the quick release with an extra strong bolt.

He has moved on to lighter bikes, still in the hybrid family, and plans to sell his Navigator this spring.
The Navigator and 7100 were bikes i looked at a couple years ago, they have different names now. Think the 7100 is called The nerve now or something like that. I read the navigator is heavy and didn't want something like that.
Old 01-22-13, 07:32 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
It sounds like your bike purchase is mostly budget driven. A Navigator is a low-end hybrid. I know, I thought I knew what I was doing when I bought my Navigator... it's long gone by now. My wife has the Cypress... she rides it about 4 miles every other year. If you are going to buy a bike in that category, and at that budget, you need to realize that as soon as you really get started in cycling, it's not going to be enough bike for you. It won't be your last bike, and I'd dare say that if you start riding 20+ miles on a ride (which could be as soon as next month) you'll be ready for a real bike.

I wish I never would have bought my Navigator or my wife's Cypress. The main reason for my purchase was to go on some longer rides and get active. I found out that the hybrid class of bikes was more for putzing around the neighborhood rather than fitness. Look around at what other cyclists are riding... you won't see many Navigators or that class of bike out there. I know you are fairly new to the forum and you're excited about cycling and getting fit... but you really should do more research before you buy a bike. Yeah... a Navigator will do... but it's not a real long-term solution. I'd rather have the $200 - $400 that I spent on the Navigator to spend on a little more serious type of bicycle. If the budget is tight, I'd go to bikesdirect.com to get a bike. You can find some decent bikes there. Or... buying used is a good idea... but there again, you need do your research and know what it is that you want to buy. You need to study up on component levels, drivetrains, frame materials, wheels, etc... Most bikes are built to do one thing well, there aren't any that do everything well. You need to know what it is that you want out of your bike... and if you're here, I doubt that it is to putz around the neighborhood.

275 lbs? That's nothing to worry about. I think most any bike can handle that weight. I have been riding a carbon fiber frame with 16 and 20 spoke wheels for three years and that started at 240 lbs. I've had only one problem... I broke a spoke on the rear during a 200 mile ride - I won't attribute that to my weight but to the big pot hole that I hit. A bike shop will not sell you a bike that cannot handle your weight... And 90 percent of the bikes can (the ones that can't, well they start to cost about $4000+.) Keep asking questions, go back to the bike shop and talk with the people there. Ask them what they ride and why. Keep asking in the forum. Why do we ride what we ride? Most of us have more than one bicycle for different types of riding.

Last edited by InTheRain; 01-22-13 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 07:40 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NashNathan
i know the Navigator is heavier and not as fast. .
Speed wouldn't even be a considertion with making a decision between these bikes if it was my decision.

A mentioned, you may want to look into a road bike if speed is a concern..... or if it will be a concern anytime soon.
Old 01-22-13, 07:43 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Speed wouldn't even be a considertion with making a decision between these bikes if it was my decision.

A mentioned, you may want to look into a road bike if speed is a concern..... or if it will be a concern anytime soon.
Beanz... save this guy some money. Tell him what you ride and why you ride it. I know you're a big strong rider and any of your bikes could handle 275 lbs. I know you have a bike or two that you have been riding a long, long time that don't cost several thousand dollars.
Old 01-22-13, 07:58 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by InTheRain
Beanz... save this guy some money. Tell him what you ride and why you ride it. I know you're a big strong rider and any of your bikes could handle 275 lbs. I know you have a bike or two that you have been riding a long, long time that don't cost several thousand dollars.
Well, each one of my bikes were $1000 nearly even. The Cannondlae is still around and going stong since 1998. But the 2 Lemonds broke after 13,000 miles. Good reason why I buy Trek (or other major brands) because of the lifetime warranty on the frames. The tandem is a 1997 and support lots more than 275 lbs over the years.

But the weight is not an issue when it comes to road bikes. As mentioned earlier, the rear wheel can be a problem, but a 275 lb rider will have no problem on a roadie. If one does arise, Trek has your back (hopefuly the other mfg'ers as well).

I agree, if you are wanting it for competitive type fitness, you're wasting your money with cruisers and hybrids. I know I did.

I ride 2 roadies, and tandem with skinny tires.

Old 01-22-13, 08:06 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Cypress St purchased in September 2012 and I have 1000 miles on it. Miles I might add that are not "Putzing around the neighborhood". I have multiple 20+ rides and the bike is fine. I switched out parts that I wanted to replace and I am still way under the high end bikes. I had to replace the back wheel, but I started at 348. The 11-34 gears help with heavier riders. Look if you start off with a $1000 bike and make a mistake your down 1000. If I had lost interest or decided I had to have a top end bike I was out 300 + upgrades. Upgrades I could move to a different bike. My main goal was to workout and get in better shape. If your goal is to go fast then perhaps you should start with an expensive bike, but make sure you try it out and it is what you want. If your main goal is to get in shape then I would say get in shape cheaper and worry about speed later after you know what you want in your bike.
Old 01-22-13, 08:07 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
I got a Cypress DX when I started. I was 283 lb at the time. When I hit 250, I sprung for a road bike.

I agree with InTheRain in that the Cypress is sometimes put forward as a "starter" bike when it's really got a pretty specific purpose. It's a great ride for 5/10/20 mi a night on bike paths and in subdivisions. Pushed beyond that, it will be a struggle.

That being said, I personally needed the stepping stone that the Cypress offered. I could not have started at zero miles and hopped directly on a road bike. I was in no shape for it, mentally or physically. The Cypress gave me 2 good seasons before I moved on.

On the other hand, my brother is in the market for a bike, and I'm steering him away from hybrids like the Cypress. He's in much better shape than I was when I started riding, and has a couple of seasons under his belt on a $20 police-auction-sale mid-80s steel roadie. He doesn't need the stepping stone I needed, so I'm trying to get him to save up a little bit more $$ for a starter road or cyclocross bike.

I don't regret buying it, and wouldn't sell it now even though I have two "fast" bikes. The Cypress still gets ridden regularly, usually on family rides or slower charity rides. As long as I understand its purpose, we get along fine.
Old 01-22-13, 08:29 PM
NashNathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bikes Beans. Budget is my main problem right now. I'm not looking for a bike for racing or speed right now, just want something so i can lose weight and get into shape. Later on i can get something better. I want to get started now instead of waiting, so need to get what i can afford now. Thanks.
Old 01-22-13, 08:31 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of great advice here. Just to throw an idea into the ring, I have had good luck with Bikes Direct. However, you do need to know the basics of bike setup etc. You also benefit from a fitting if you buy from your LBS.

This one looks to be 'OK':
https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...fe_latte_x.htm (Hybrid)

or this one:

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...xy_al_xiii.htm (Road)

Just food for thought.
NashNathan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoxe
I got a Cypress DX when I started. I was 283 lb at the time. When I hit 250, I sprung for a road bike.

I agree with InTheRain in that the Cypress is sometimes put forward as a "starter" bike when it's really got a pretty specific purpose. It's a great ride for 5/10/20 mi a night on bike paths and in subdivisions. Pushed beyond that, it will be a struggle.

That being said, I personally needed the stepping stone that the Cypress offered. I could not have started at zero miles and hopped directly on a road bike. I was in no shape for it, mentally or physically. The Cypress gave me 2 good seasons before I moved on.

On the other hand, my brother is in the market for a bike, and I'm steering him away from hybrids like the Cypress. He's in much better shape than I was when I started riding, and has a couple of seasons under his belt on a $20 police-auction-sale mid-80s steel roadie. He doesn't need the stepping stone I needed, so I'm trying to get him to save up a little bit more $$ for a starter road or cyclocross bike.

I don't regret buying it, and wouldn't sell it now even though I have two "fast" bikes. The Cypress still gets ridden regularly, usually on family rides or slower charity rides. As long as I understand its purpose, we get along fine.
I always thought i was too big for a road bike so i was advised on hybrids. I know Trek had a weight limit on some of their bikes.
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Nice bikes Beans. Budget is my main problem right now. I'm not looking for a bike for racing or speed right now, just want something so i can lose weight and get into shape. Later on i can get something better. I want to get started now instead of waiting, so need to get what i can afford now. Thanks.
That's cool, but honeslty again, speed wouldn't be a deciding factor at the level you are browsing. You'd be better off getting the bike you like then replacing the stock tires with faster and/or better tires....higher pressure narrower tires if possible.
Old 01-22-13, 08:33 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always thought i was too big for a road bike so i was advised on hybrids. I know Trek had a weight limit on some of their bikes.
I thought the same when I was looking. I found a great LBS who told me to ride what I wanted to ride and my first clyde bike was a carbon road bike - the LBS was 100% correct and saved me from spending money on a bike I wasnt fully 'into'.

Last edited by magohn; 01-22-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-22-13, 08:34 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Your first bike just lets you know what you really want. Doesn't really matter WHAT bike it is.
Get the rear (at least) wheel properly tensioned BEFORE you put on the miles. Any decent LBS should be willing to do that for free or very nominal cost to make the sale.
Old 01-22-13, 08:38 PM
goldfinch

Bikes: Norco Search, Terry Classic, Serotta Classique, Trek Cali carbon hardtail, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate, Giant Cadex

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For most of their bikes the stated weight limit is 300 pounds. For road bikes with drop bars it is 275. https://www.trekbikes.com/faq/questio...questionid=104

I ride both a hybrid and a road bike. I like my hybrid, even for rides of up to 40 miles. Even if it is a tank as compared to my carbon fiber road bike.
Old 01-22-13, 08:48 PM
NCbiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started on a Trek Navigator with my weight at 265. I rode it for 1500 miles before I bought a road bike. I think I needed those base miles to get fit enough to make the transition to a road bike with drop bars. No doubt, if you stick with riding and start doing rides over 20 miles, you will want something more aggressive than the comfort bike, but I don't regret starting on it. The bike shop I got my navigator from takes trade ins. I test rode a Sedona and found it to be very similar to the Navigator. After awhile on the Navigator I replaced the 2" tires with 1-1/2" and it picked up a little speed. BTW, I'm down to 179 lbs now. Just get a bike and ride the tires off of it.
Old 01-22-13, 08:54 PM
Fangowolf

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT / Motobecane Fhantom CX 105 / Giant Cypress ST / EZ Sport AX / Trisled Touring Trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't rule out a road bike if that is what you like. There are people here who can help you pick out a craiglist bike and perhaps some upgrades that will take you and still be in that same budget. Pick the kind of ride you want and then find a way to make it work for you and the budget.
Old 01-22-13, 09:02 PM
magohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fangowolf
Don't rule out a road bike if that is what you like. There are people here who can help you pick out a craiglist bike and perhaps some upgrades that will take you and still be in that same budget. Pick the kind of ride you want and then find a way to make it work for you and the budget.
+1

Just an example but a brief scan on Craigslist in my area has many bikes such as this:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/3563300463.html

I also find if they are asking $675 they will accept close to $500. I know its not your area but just an example.