Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Trails/MUPS in Florida

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Trails/MUPS in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-23, 11:01 AM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by munkeyfish
The St.Augustine to Palatka trail along 207 is where I live. ... It is the closest and safest trail for recreational rides for me that don't require a car to get to....
Unfortunately for me, when I'm in the area visiting my brother (once or twice a year), I have to drive my bike to that parking area to get to the trail, so I usually ride on A1A south of St. Augustine because I can ride my bike there from my brother's house. I see lots of cyclists riding on A1A, but it's not that pleasant a ride. It's a two lane road (with bike lanes in most places) and fast-moving traffic. And, no shade. I do ride as far north as the alligator farm, but mostly south of there. My brother refers to me and other cyclists who ride on A1A as future organ donors. It does have more traffic, and faster traffic, than the roads where I usually ride.
Old 03-01-23, 12:16 PM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Unfortunately for me, when I'm in the area visiting my brother (once or twice a year), I have to drive my bike to that parking area to get to the trail, so I usually ride on A1A south of St. Augustine because I can ride my bike there from my brother's house. I see lots of cyclists riding on A1A, but it's not that pleasant a ride. It's a two lane road (with bike lanes in most places) and fast-moving traffic. And, no shade. I do ride as far north as the alligator farm, but mostly south of there. My brother refers to me and other cyclists who ride on A1A as future organ donors. It does have more traffic, and faster traffic, than the roads where I usually ride.
I've just gotten into biking myself, I was only a BMX'er back in the 70's and hung it up once I got into high school. One thing I don't do is ride on streets. Organ donor is correct and the way drivers treat cyclist totally freaks me out so I will only ride on gravel except for a ride or two like the MS ride this fall which I plan to do. I think I'm becoming part of the woodwork in Guana! Going today. I think my roots of BMX are staying true, I just love dirt and I can't wait to find, buy or build my gravel bike. I drive down A1A a lot and you're right, there is little room and cars are doing 65-70 if no one is there to slow them down.
Old 03-01-23, 05:23 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 1,017 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
LOL.. My in-laws had a house on Anastasia Island just off off A1A near the Anastasia Baptist Church as well as down in Crescent Beach. My wife would go down there with the kids and I would ride my bike down there from my house in Jacksonville. I didn't mind the ride for the most part, but once you came off the Vilano bridge, you had to pick your poison, do you risk your life on San Marco, or US 1 to get over the Bridge of Lions. Once you got over the bridge you were gold. Then they decided to move to Lake City, and that was a much longer hotter, endeavor. US 90 is not a fun road, west winds in the summer means a 90 mile head wind.

Old 03-01-23, 06:25 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas95
I can recommend the Starkey Park, Pinellas, Upper Tampa Bay, Starkey Gap, and Suncoast Trails! So much shared path goodness out here.
I was pretty much going to recommend this combination. I live about 4.5 miles from the Suncoast, and I can go North and connect up with the Withlacoochee, or head south to Starkey that then connects to Pinellas.