Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 105 5700 - Rear DR Question for the Experts

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-17, 05:44 PM
bgrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This question is very similar to the imprecise shifting thread on 5700 - but different. Need input from the experts:

I too experience a "reluctance" from my rear DR to upshift or downshift. There are about 14,000 miles on this DR and I am beginning to think it may be wearing out. Cables/housings/Cassette/Chain all new or recently replaced. Hanger not bent. I can adjust for either consistent up shifts, or downshifts, but not both. If adjusted for the best of both worlds, it's inconsistent in either direction sometimes requiring me to upshift twice, then down shift to get to the gear I want (or vice versa).

Here's where this post is different than the other: I have noticed that the entire DR body has considerable play left/right (of the bike) or up/down (shift direction). The "slop" is significantly more than what a turn or two of the barrel adjuster would move the cage. Careful inspection of where the movement is occurring reveals that the movement is the body moving about the main mounting bolt (there is play in the b-axle assembly according to the exploded view of the rear dr from Shimano).

My question(s) for the experts: is it worth sourcing the new parts for the b-axle assembly and replacing them? Do they wear out and get sloppy? The wear could actually be in the DR body where is interfaces with the b-axle components I suppose and I could replace that part also (lots of other moving joints in that that could wear.) If considering replacing both - that's almost a whole new DR..... I don't think 14K miles is all that many for a DR....but perhaps too many for a 5700 105?

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,

BGRider
Old 10-24-17, 07:10 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Sounds like it is worn out. 14K miles may not seem like a lot to you, but honestly it's more miles than most components will see in their lifetime. If there's been rain, dust, gravel, etc. involved during some of those miles, well, there you have it.

New RD's in that series are relatively cheap. I'd buy a new or slightly used one and call it a day.
Old 10-24-17, 09:59 PM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by bgrider
Need input from the experts:BGRider
Are you being condescending or just trying to have people self censor themselves that otherwise might be of some help. If your worried about getting "expert" help, then maybe you should go to the LBS where you can personally assess the expertise of the person helping you. Otherwise, on the forum, be thankful for information that is helpful/relevant, and ignore the rest.

As to your problem, I would initially have said it was cable and housing. But from the free play you are describing, it sounds like the derailleur is worn. Shimano implies you can get parts to rebuild, but outside the pulley wheels, no one stocks the parts, meaning that the component is generally just replaced. Maybe the question is "would you be better off upgrading to an Ultegra RD, or does the 105 have 99% the functionality of the Ultegra but just a little heavier and not as pretty"?
Old 10-24-17, 10:23 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
get a new derailleur.
Old 10-25-17, 03:04 AM
bgrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I think I will get a new DR and see if that works.