Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

zero offset vs forward seat post for roadie

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-10, 06:46 AM
adam_mac84

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last year i rode my cross bike with aero bars for triathlons. I slammed the seat forward, and just made do. I am building up a road bike for next season and it will definatly get some triathlon use. Would it be better to go with a zero offset post for my TT/TRI use versus forward because it would be less of a shock to my muscles? It seems like quite a bit of a change to go to forward seat post if i am riding 1 TT per week (mondays), and probably 1 TRI a month in the summer, with 2-3 'road' rides/wk without aero bars sprinkled in there (along with some aero bar riding to prep for tri's)...

I hate buying things twice, but maybe start with 0 offset and move to forward if i feel i need it? (which i don't know what the indicators of this would be)
Old 11-02-10, 07:45 AM
tucksayre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a forward seatpost (Nitto 66). I never raced it but I rode it around a couple of times. It definitely gets you forward. Other possibilities are made by Thomson, Easton, and Profile Designs. Before the forward seatpost, I would put on aero bars only for tris and move my seat as far forward as possible. It does lead to a shock on the muscles but mostly fatigues you in ways you are not used to. This lead to a lousy run leg. I was spent and my legs were not feeling it. I'll probably sell my nitto 66 (now that I got a tt bike). I think a zero offset would be more practical.
Old 11-03-10, 10:09 PM
adam_mac84

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do have experience with the aero bars, with the seat a bit forward (3-4cm) from last years tri (my first). Legs felt OK for the run (olympic distance), but i was slow, and had surgery on my ankle 2 weeks later. I think i'll start with zero offset first. I don't see reason to train 1/2 time in each of 2 different positions. Seems like id end up being a worse road rider, and worse TT rider this way. Or is it not that complicated?
Old 11-04-10, 02:26 AM
kuf
Mrs. umd

Bikes: Specialized Dolce Vita & Transition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It all depends on what is more important- your performance in the Triathlons or in the TTs. If you're only going to be riding aero once a week, I would pick one aero position and stick with it for a large chunk of time. Don't switch right before an important race- your muscles won't be used to it.
Old 11-06-10, 09:32 PM
southern rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adam_mac84
I do have experience with the aero bars, with the seat a bit forward (3-4cm) from last years tri (my first). Legs felt OK for the run (olympic distance), but i was slow, and had surgery on my ankle 2 weeks later. I think i'll start with zero offset first. I don't see reason to train 1/2 time in each of 2 different positions. Seems like id end up being a worse road rider, and worse TT rider this way. Or is it not that complicates ?
I totally agree with this guy, too many people read too much technical crap intended for the pros. Or a bunch of sales jargon to get people to buy a shiny new bike thingy