Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How to set up your Road Bike for TT?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 11:50 AM
Lewis_Moon

Bikes: Skunkhumper Team, 05 Poprad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to compete in a short (10 k) TT in a couple of months. The last time I did a TT aero bars hadn't been invented. Can anyone point me to a site that gives some tips and rules of thumb for temporarily turning a road bike into a TT dragster? You know: body position, flat back, etc.
I figure the most important part will be "slicking up the motor" so I'll need to purchase bars and a forward set post....

And no, I can't afford to own a TT only bike.
Old 07-30-12, 11:58 AM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would set the bike up on a trainer first of all, then use a camera or another person to evaluate your position. Then I'd work on the position (riding on the trainer as much as you can) so you can sustain it through the TT. Sounds like you have the right idea with moving the saddle forward and getting clip on aero bars. Also consider getting shoe covers, put a water bottle on the seat tube only, the little aero tricks.
Old 07-30-12, 12:14 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
1) the TT thread in the RR sub forum.

2) look at Waterrockets TT setup.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-30-12, 12:17 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
1) Aerobars. Obviously, you need aerobars. The problem is getting aerobars to fit on a bike that's set up as a road bike. They tend to be too stretched out, and too high, particularly if you don't change your stem.

To address this, you can get "slam" style aerobars, which are shorter, and designed to work with a conventional road setup. Also, move spacers from below to above your stem, and or flip the stem downward to get the bars as low as you can go (and still be in a position where you produce power.

2) Seat position. To facilitate getting a low position, that doesn't have a severe hip angle, you want the seat position forward (which is why tt/triathlon bikes often have very steep seat tube angles.) You can deal with this with a set back seat post that's reversible, i.e. negative setback. Failing that you can just slam the seat as far forward on the rails as possible.

3) Wheels. Aero wheels are expensive, but you can get the benefit of a rear disc with a $99 wheel cover, and use the lowest spoke count wheel you can on the front.

4) TT helmet. Other than aerobars, the cheapest speed you can buy, so put any money you plan on spending other bars here, or better yet see if you can borrow one.

5) Train in the position. Unless you can comfortably produce power, and hold the position for the duration, the most aero position is worthless. Only way to do that is to dial in your position, and spend time riding that way.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 07-30-12 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 12:57 PM
jmX

Bikes: Roubaix / Shiv

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What merlin said.

This is how I set mine up (except I now have a -28 degree stem):

1) Aerobars + Bars moved down further (not totally shown here, this stem is -16 degree)
2) Seat is moved forward (i keep a spare seat on a spare seatpost setup just for that position)
3) Got a free wheel cover for the back wheel during a sale
4) Found a cheap TT helmet and got a tight fitting jersey
5) lots of time riding in this position

Last edited by jmX; 07-30-12 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 01:00 PM
Velo Gator

Bikes: Cervélo S2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Aerobars with negative stem.
Adamo saddle on reversible seatpost with the forward setting.