Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Would a covered e-scooter be a car?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Would a covered e-scooter be a car?

Old 12-12-18, 10:58 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
“The time will come when people will travel in stages moved by steam engines from one city to another, almost as fast as birds can fly, 15 or 20 miles an hour…. A carriage will start from Washington in the morning, the passengers will breakfast at Baltimore, dine at Philadelphia, and sup in New York the same day…. Engines will drive boats 10 or 12 miles an hour, and there will be hundreds of steamers running on the Mississippi, as predicted years ago.” — Oliver Evans, 1800
Old 12-12-18, 01:32 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Oh, what goes around, comes around.

From back in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_C5

Old 12-12-18, 01:48 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

From back in 1985.

In all honesty isn’t the real point of threads like this to find a cheaper way to accomplish what people that have cars already do. Sure tweaking the design of a car and giving the tweaked device all of comforts of a car? Wouldn’t it be simpler just to change the name “car” to pod and call everyone car free? Today you can buy a three wheeled trike for less than an average car that is smaller and gets better fuel mileage and would allow you to be car free. Can-Am Spyder. Problem solved. 😂
Old 12-12-18, 01:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
As mentioned, there is a class of vehicles called a "Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV)". Small, slow moving, etc. Pretty much glorified golf carts. I'm not sure about licensing, but they are pretty widespread, but may be limited from running on streets with higher speed limits. I.E. I can't drive one home if I must drive on 55MPH streets/roads.

3-wheel often bumps a vehicle under motorcycle rules, but that may also require helmets and motorcycle licenses to operate.
I think a growing class will be the E-Bikes, which can include velomobiles (electric?), and often 3-wheeled. Currently little regulation, and many people hope it will stay that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velomobile

A low center of gravity likely helps the velomobiles, but I have to wonder of a narrow wheelbase is a problem on the trikes.

Also the E-Cargo bikes.

Old 12-12-18, 10:12 PM
Mobile 155

From back in 1985.

All they would need in my state is a mobility scooter with a sun shade. They could even drive the thing into stores.
Old 12-12-18, 10:19 PM
Mobile 155

As mentioned, there is a class of vehicles called a "Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV)". Small, slow moving, etc. Pretty much glorified golf carts. I'm not sure about licensing, but they are pretty widespread, but may be limited from running on streets with higher speed limits. I.E. I can't drive one home if I must drive on 55MPH streets/roads.

3-wheel often bumps a vehicle under motorcycle rules, but that may also require helmets and motorcycle licenses to operate.
I think a growing class will be the E-Bikes, which can include velomobiles (electric?), and often 3-wheeled. Currently little regulation, and many people hope it will stay that way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velomobile

A low center of gravity likely helps the velomobiles, but I have to wonder of a narrow wheelbase is a problem on the trikes.

Also the E-Cargo bikes.

Portlandia had a great skit on these things. Then a group of people got together for real and helped someone move by bike. well a lot of bikes and a lot of people but they did it. And no I don't take this thread seriously.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 12-12-18 at 10:25 PM.