Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

choosing a new quill stem

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-19, 09:16 AM
clengman

Bikes: '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '98 Nishiki BSO

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 61 Posts

I had a pro bike fitting done a few years ago and one of the suggestions was to get a taller stem. At the time I didn't want to mess around with my handlebars so I left the stem as is. It's a quill stem with 90mm extension and 10cm length from the safe insertion line to the top of the stem. I have it set at the tallest safe point. Currently, I'm at 8cm drop from seat to tops of bars. The bike fitter recommended something closer to 2 cm. I've been having some low back issues lately and I think it might help to be just a little more upright. I'm looking at Nitto 225mm stems, but I'm wondering if I should change the extension concurrently with the change in length.

On my bike fit form he said I was at KOPS-4 prefit and we moved it to KOPS-2. He said that I should probably be even a little further forward. (I'm assuming this is in cm?) He recommended getting a zero setback seatpost. If I get a different seatpost and move the seat forward 2 cm maybe I should go with more extension on the stem to keep my reach similar to what it is now?

I don't know how all these adjustments will interact. Any advice? Thanks!

Last edited by clengman; 01-28-19 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-28-19, 01:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Nitto Technomic stems offer a longer insertion length to put more of the stem, especially the wedge expanding below cut thread part , so overall safer..

As you come up higher bar clamp (With same lenhth extension) is closer to the saddle in a line parallel to the head tube/fork axis..

Old 02-03-19, 01:49 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by clengman
I had a pro bike fitting done a few years ago and one of the suggestions was to get a taller stem. At the time I didn't want to mess around with my handlebars so I left the stem as is. It's a quill stem with 90mm extension and 10cm length from the safe insertion line to the top of the stem. I have it set at the tallest safe point. Currently, I'm at 8cm drop from seat to tops of bars. The bike fitter recommended something closer to 2 cm. I've been having some low back issues lately and I think it might help to be just a little more upright. I'm looking at Nitto 225mm stems, but I'm wondering if I should change the extension concurrently with the change in length.

On my bike fit form he said I was at KOPS-4 prefit and we moved it to KOPS-2. He said that I should probably be even a little further forward. (I'm assuming this is in cm?) He recommended getting a zero setback seatpost. If I get a different seatpost and move the seat forward 2 cm maybe I should go with more extension on the stem to keep my reach similar to what it is now?

I don't know how all these adjustments will interact. Any advice? Thanks!
You can see what the various changes will do by using this calculator. Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net Whenever I've changed the height of my stem, I've used this to see when/if I need to change the length of the extension or to just see if I get the desired effect.