Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bike weight limits

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bike weight limits

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 02:18 PM
Techeun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike weight limits

Hello!
I'm currently looking at purchasing a new bike, as my Kent 29 Walmart bike (that I got for $25 brand new :x) probably won't last as long as I'll need it.
I'm currently 345lbs (6ft), down from 373 since febuary, and am falling in love with riding.
I've had my eye on a few bikes, but I'm not sure if it can take my weight. So I'm coming here for help. Even though there are thousands of post identical to this one. I've read that a lot of bikes are built to surpass their recommended weight, so I've been looking at a couple of options.
The Trek Marlin series is on top of my list. Marlin 5, or 7 in particular. It states on the website that the maximum weight of cargo, bike, and passenger is 300lb, which is discouraging. Are there any modifications I could do to it out of the box, to be able to hold up my weight? Or would the frame not be strong enough to hold me. The bike I have now is doing just fine at holding me, but it's got dual suspension thats a bit squishy, and I'm kind of afraid to push it to more than a casual back yard trail.
The Raleigh Tokul series as well, I can't find anything that's telling me a max weight, but I'm seeing good reviews online. Though I'm more comfortable with the 29 size, as I'm a big guy.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I live in Atlanta and there are a good amount of trails that I'm dying to try out, but I'm not confident in my bike.
Thanks in advance!
Old 03-17-19, 07:23 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
have you thought about looking at a mid fat bike? 27.5+ or 29+
Old 03-17-19, 11:57 PM
Techeun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti
have you thought about looking at a mid fat bike? 27.5+ or 29+

i have, but I’m having trouble finding them in my price range. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-19, 08:21 AM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

friend of mine started with a marlin 5 he wasnt very comfortable on it, he's in the 300 lb range. He got the roscoe 7 it was more comfortable for him. But I understand the budget deal thats what I had to do. I have a fuji 29er. The one issue my friend had was spoke tension backing off on his marlin 5

Last edited by carlosponti; 03-18-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-18-19, 03:36 PM
Techeun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti
friend of mine started with a marlin 5 he wasnt very comfortable on it, he's in the 300 lb range. He got the roscoe 7 it was more comfortable for him. But I understand the budget deal thats what I had to do. I have a fuji 29er. The one issue my friend had was spoke tension backing off on his marlin 5
Thanks for the reply!
I've seen some posts saying that the marlin woulndt be a good fit, so i've crossed it off the list. I drool over the roscoe 7, I love the it. Who knows, I might ride this kent until it's done, and save up for that in the meantime.
Thanks
Old 03-20-19, 08:27 PM
carlosponti

Couple of reviews I saw online of the nishiki Colorado comp looked like a good bike it's a 27.5+ with seam nx 1x11 drive train. It had mechanical disk breaks and a cheap coil fork but is at around same price as the Roscoe 7. Roscoe has an air coil and hydraulic brakes. Would certainly be better than the Kent you own now.
Old 03-21-19, 10:42 AM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts
You might also post in the Clydesdale Forum as you may get more responses. Also, the major concern is usually wheel strength over frame strength.