Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Goodbye Sugar

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 12:05 AM
dooner90

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Wow! Blood sugar skyrocketed. I hardly needed any device to tell me that. Rode like I had rocket fuel, then crashed to below where I started.

Ben
I gotta ask. So I've got a triathalon in August that I'm presently training for. My girlfriend and I are cutting sugar. You say that you became super responsive to sugar after cutting it out in regular diet. What would happen if I took sugar during the race/before the race?
Old 04-03-19, 01:00 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Originally Posted by dooner90
I gotta ask. So I've got a triathalon in August that I'm presently training for. My girlfriend and I are cutting sugar. You say that you became super responsive to sugar after cutting it out in regular diet. What would happen if I took sugar during the race/before the race?
For me, in a race, it's a performance enhancing drug. I did my best to race clean except I would carry a small bar of 50% sugar, 50% maple syrup. (I already knew maple syrup was at least part sucrose just by its effect on me. 30 years later I learned, yes, the pure stuff is 50% sucrose, 50% fructose. So my bar was 75% sucrose.) I'd eat that bar in the late miles of the race, say the last 10.

How long is your race? I'd worry about crashing before finishing. And if I were doing it and planning on starting the sugar early and eating it throughout to stay high that I would revert back to the life of sugar every day. As much as I realized with my test that sugar was a performance enhancing drug, I realized also that it is for me, addictive; both building tolerance and craving when it is removed. I've chosen not to go that route.

Ben
Old 04-06-19, 03:15 PM
dooner90

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your reply, Ben. The triathalon is a standard Olympic (so about 1 mi swim/26 bike/6 run)
Old 04-10-19, 06:37 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
It’s been a rough month and let life and yearnings get it the way. Set backs are part of life but will be back to the real me.
Old 06-30-19, 08:24 PM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by youcoming
It’s been a rough month and let life and yearnings get it the way. Set backs are part of life but will be back to the real me.
Pick yourself up and get back on the bike...literally. As you say, setbacks are part of life. What happened though? It might help to talk about it.
Old 07-02-19, 01:46 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
I've managed to drop 34lbs since January. My secret...not really any. I use My Fitness Pal to track my calorie intake and ride my bike. Seriously that's all.

I have it set where I am allowed 2,490 calories a day and never hit that mark. I eat WHATEVER I want (cookies, ice cream, steak, chicken, blah, blah, blah). ALL diets are a result of calorie intake reduction no matter the means to get there and seriously, that's all you have to do.

I have learned to eat better and what my body really NEEDS to function. If I want to have a "splurge day" I know the requirements to do it....a few more miles on the bike, a little longer walk, or more laps in the pool. I thought this would never work but the scale says different. BUT, you have to make the commitment to make it work, trust me, it gets easier as you go further.

I have a history of hypoglycemia (blood sugar too low) and always seemed to compensate by eating too much to bring my sugar up. I didn't know that before for many, many years....now I do. I haven't had a sugar drop since January when I began eating like this. That's an added benefit for sure.
Old 07-02-19, 05:32 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
I've managed to drop 34lbs since January....................... I eat WHATEVER I want (cookies, ice cream, steak, chicken, blah, blah, blah). ALL diets are a result of calorie intake reduction no matter the means to get there and seriously, that's all you have to do...........................
34 pounds gone since January is OUTSTANDING !!!

It is healthier obtaining calories from protein rather than cookies-candy-cake---SUGAR.

Continued success in the future.
Old 07-03-19, 08:11 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
Where are you now, @youcoming?

I'm turning 50 in a couple of weeks. I'm 5'11" and 205 lbs with a 38" waist. I need to shake the sugar addiction because of "brain fog" and bloating. My doctor also put me on a statin for having "borderline" high cholesterol. I'd like to shake that potential dependency too.

My goal is to just get down to 180. I know I can do it, but I'm surrounded by the temptation and it feels like since I hit my 40s that it's so much hard to commit and any losses are hard fought for.

I did Atkins before we had kids and got down to 178 and felt that I was slightly too thin and that that lifestyle was not healthy. I did South Beach a decade later and it was pretty much the same thing. Now Keto is all the rage and quite frankly I'm done with peeing on keto sticks to Empirically measure my progress. I'd rather just not focus on food and live an active life - and enjoy a beer and a burrito once a week. Is that too much to ask for?