Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Maruishi RX-3 Early 80's

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-19, 09:42 AM
krs21

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maruishi RX-3 Early 80's

Hi All,

I have an old Maruishi RX-3 road bike from the early 80s from what I know. It has only had two owners- my mom, and then myself. Chains and gears are a bit rusted from the last couple of years of moisture in storage, but tires/tubes were completely replaced 2-3 years ago, and hasn't been ridden much since. I mostly rode it to and from campus when I was in college. I'm not sure on size, but I'm 5'7'', the seat is at its lowest position, and I can ride it pretty comfortably.

I'm just curious what it might be worth as a resale? Or if I should keep it and repair myself for when I can use it again? Would love to keep and fix up again, but it's not getting much use, and I'd like for it to be used to its fullest potential. Any insight is greatly appreciated, as I cannot find ANY info on this model online.
Old 04-11-19, 01:21 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Welcome. If the bike fits you, I'd refurb it and use it again when you have the time and inclination.

You'd need to replace whatever drivetrain parts are rusted to get it up and running again. If you're mechanically inclined, it would be a good investment to overhaul all the bearing surfaces (headset, hubs, bottom bracket) with fresh grease, as grease approaching four decades old is likely gone or shot. New consumables other than tires/tubes (bar tape, cables, housings, brake pads, etc) will probably be necessary as well. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 04-11-19, 03:20 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,359 Posts
@krs21's Album/Gallery:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/497459
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/13476266

You'll need a bunch more photos to get a good valuation.

Pull the bike down, get a little better light, and take some photos of the drivetrain (crankset, rear derailleur, etc).

There are several features that make the bike look "cheap" including the double brake levers, stem shifters, and bolt on wheels.

At the same time, a few features that point to a potentially more valuable bike. Water bottle cage braze-ons, aluminum handlebars, & pantographed seat stay caps.

Pending better photos, my guess is you're looking at somewhere around $100 to $200.

The overall condition looks quite good, and it should make a good project bike, keeping in mind that it may not be an extremely valuable bike.
Old 04-11-19, 03:48 PM
krs21

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have other photos, but wasn't quite sure how to upload them, as it says I'm not allowed as a new member. Happy to post them somehow, if someone could help in the valuation from there.

If it's not looking to be super valuable, then I'll likely just hold on to it for a bit, until I can put some time into restoring for myself- it's really a fantastic little bike it's SO lightweight and easy to ride. I was mostly looking to find out if I was just sitting on a bike worth a ton, and not giving it the love it deserves...

I did also notice a spot on the frame that has begun to rust- can this be remedied, or does it mark the bike as unsafe with rust on the frame?
Old 04-11-19, 04:40 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,359 Posts
Originally Posted by krs21
I have other photos, but wasn't quite sure how to upload them, as it says I'm not allowed as a new member. Happy to post them somehow, if someone could help in the valuation from there.

If it's not looking to be super valuable, then I'll likely just hold on to it for a bit, until I can put some time into restoring for myself- it's really a fantastic little bike it's SO lightweight and easy to ride. I was mostly looking to find out if I was just sitting on a bike worth a ton, and not giving it the love it deserves...

I did also notice a spot on the frame that has begun to rust- can this be remedied, or does it mark the bike as unsafe with rust on the frame?
Upload some more photos to your album, and someone can link them for you. Once you get to 10 posts (5 posts a day), things get easier.

A few spots of rust normally aren't a problem. But, it depends on the actual rust, and how deep it is. Photos?

For questions about rust, and repairs, post in the Classic & Vintage section.

It is possible your mother had a few things customized on the bike for use as a commuter, that lowered the overall resale appeal of the bike.