Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Trying to push Car Free to the limit

Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Old 04-07-19, 11:37 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1008 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For the past two years I have been keeping my eyes open for a few jobs very near to my home. The kind of jobs someone pretty much has to die for an opening to occur. So finally, one of the jobs has opened up and I had a good interview. Now the waiting game and hopefully a call!

The new job is about 1 mile from my house. My route would be 2 blocks in my neighborhood, then cut through a community college campus (which is basically a park), cross one 4-lane road (35mph) and enter City Park. Then a 3/4 mile journey inside of the park. My new hopeful job is in the middle of the park. Most of the days I would just walk to work.

So...fingers crossed! I need a new job but REALLY do not want to own and maintain a car. My longtime car-free existence has given me a financial advantage over other applicants because I can work for $5,000/year less than they can if they need a dependable car. Since 1989 when I ditched the last car and motorcycle I have enjoyed this financial advantage when changing jobs.
Old 04-07-19, 12:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
hungry

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers)

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good luck @JoeyBike!

Walking 1 mile strikes me as the most "dependable transportation" one could get short of telecommuting.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-07-19, 01:16 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott View Post
Good luck @JoeyBike!

Walking 1 mile strikes me as the most "dependable transportation" one could get short of telecommuting.
Thanks TS! Yeah, one mile is a great distance. I had a job for over 10 years that was 1 mile away with a grocery store about halfway between! How sweet was that? I'll post the results of my search. This is not my only option but certainly the sweetest one!
Old 04-14-19, 09:33 PM
linberl

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. (restored & sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My son walks 5 blocks to work and just loves it! He even goes home for lunch a few times a week (and saves $$). He doesn't use his bike because he wears nice clothes and it's just easier to walk, even in the rain. He's never owned a car. Hope you get the job...from what my son has said, you will LOVE working close to home.
Old 04-15-19, 01:33 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input! Still waiting. City Park is a private park that does not get public funding, however they have to abide by State Park rules for a lot of actions, including hiring. I have worked for them before as a temp paid with a stipend as a contractor and a friend works in another department putting in the good word for me. They can't do "no-bid" contracts by law so I have to let them go through the motions. Can't imagine they find someone who can do everything I am capable of for what they pay. Benefits are great tho. And by not owning a car I have a financial advantage over other prospects.

We shall see! Could take a month or more. Cheers!
Old 04-18-19, 11:34 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl View Post
Hope you get the job...
Got it! Starts in about a month. Assuming I pass the background check and my drugs check out and are good enough for them

Thanks for the kind wishes!
Old 04-18-19, 05:23 PM
linberl

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. (restored & sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike View Post
Got it! Starts in about a month. Assuming I pass the background check and my drugs check out and are good enough for them

Thanks for the kind wishes!
Hey CONGRATS!!!!! Enjoy the commute
Old 04-19-19, 05:04 PM
LorenMiranda

Bikes: 1995 Schwinn ClearCreek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats