Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It's not the bike, it's the rider.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It's not the bike, it's the rider.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-19, 05:12 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Are you actually upset that I complimented the specific group of people age 50-69 who ride fast, but didn't equally compliment anyone age 1-49 and 70-120 or anyone who enjoy riding in different manners?

Like...for real?
I'm saying that a significant portion of cyclists don't give a darn about what speed other cyclists are riding, no matter what the age of either party, and also that many if not most don't give a darn about the clothing choices made by cyclists who pass them nor the attire of those they pass.

I think such concern and attention to the speed and passing ability of strangers is mostly an affection of the minority of the cycling population who consider themselves avid enthusiasts.
Old 04-19-19, 05:59 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Yesterday I took a rail trail ride.

I'm not the best rider on the trail but I do a lot more passing than I get passed.

Yesterday though I was behind a guy who I couldn't pass for anything. Dude was just a stronger rider than me, hands down.

Here's the fun part. He was at least 20 years older than me. He was wearing a button down shirt that was ballooning up in the back from all the air it was catching like a sail so you know that was adding wind resistance. And he was riding an old bike from I'm guessing the 80's that had this horrific metal on metal clanging sound like something important was about to fall off the bike.

In other words...old guy who scoffed at aerodynamics on an old broken down bike could not be passed.

The bike wasn't helping him. His boat sail shirt wasn't helping him. His age wasn't helping him.

But he didn't care. He wanted to go a certain speed and he wasn't letting anything stop him.

It was awesome.

4 miles I chased that guy trying to see if I could get by him. His cruising speed was my top speed.

Funniest part was we passed at least 5 or 6 guys younger than me who looked in better shape than both of us on $2000+ bikes dressed like it was the Tour de France who we passed like they were sitting still. (But that's just mildly amusing. They were out there having fun so good for them)

Anyway, this older guy handed me a humbling but fun lesson in cycling yesterday. All the better bikes and fancier components and aerodynamic clothing (and apparently youth in general) means nothing if you don't improve the engine.

He also made me feel A LOT better about getting older myself, proving that getting older does not require you to slow down. And that made me feel good about life in general.

Not being able to pass this guy was the best lesson in life I've had in a while. And it was the most fun I've ever had feeling like a slow poke!

Great post. And yes it’s really not about the bike
Old 04-19-19, 06:00 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I'm saying that a significant portion of cyclists don't give a darn about what speed other cyclists are riding, no matter what the age of either party, and also that many if not most don't give a darn about the clothing choices made by cyclists who pass them nor the attire of those they pass.
I'm pretty sure that's not true. People instinctively imitate those around them. At least certainly within their group. On the other hand, if you're a commuter or casual cyclist you probably wouldn't be that interested in what the high-speed roadies are doing.

I think such concern and attention to the speed and passing ability of strangers is mostly an affection of the minority of the cycling population who consider themselves avid enthusiasts.
That's because enthusiasts tend to be more competitive.
Old 04-19-19, 09:46 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by livedarklions
The only reason I'd put down someone for their numbers is if they were condescending to me or someone else and my numbers were better. That's just begging for it.
I say it is silly to put somebody down "for their numbers" unless it was a discussion about competitive racing and it is irrelevant if your "numbers" are "better" or not.

The bottom line is that it seems so silly that so many BF posters seem to obsess about the relative speed of strangers and whether or not they pass or get "dropped" by strangers riding a bicycle.
Old 04-19-19, 09:58 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Are you actually upset that I complimented the specific group of people age 50-69 who ride fast, but didn't equally compliment anyone age 1-49 and 70-120 or anyone who enjoy riding in different manners?

Like...for real?
No, not for real, since I never said I was upset by anything you posted, that is your straw man argument.

You are the fellow whose posts indicate an emotional concern about the relative speed of strangers and the construct that enjoyment of bicycling is dependent on being fast enough to at least keep up with the speed of strangers.
Old 04-19-19, 11:37 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If they're not concerned about the speed of others, then how come the Saturday-paceline-boys-clubride keeps looking over their shoulders to see if I'm still back there? I'm maintaining a ~3 bikelength following distance, because I don't need the draft to hold their selected paceline speed. It is entertaining to watch. For me, at least.
Old 04-20-19, 12:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I say it is silly to put somebody down "for their numbers" unless it was a discussion about competitive racing and it is irrelevant if your "numbers" are "better" or not.

The bottom line is that it seems so silly that so many BF posters seem to obsess about the relative speed of strangers and whether or not they pass or get "dropped" by strangers riding a bicycle.
I don't compete but I love to ride fast. In the process of doing so, I pass a lot of people, and I get passed a lot less. I would be lying if I said I don't enjoy that.
I really don't care if you find that silly, and I can't imagine why you think anyone would.
Old 04-20-19, 12:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

No, not for real, since I never said I was upset by anything you posted, that is your straw man argument.

You are the fellow whose posts indicate an emotional concern about the relative speed of strangers and the construct that enjoyment of bicycling is dependent on being fast enough to at least keep up with the speed of strangers.
Wow, speaking of straw man arguments, you just made a doozy.

That "construct" is completely your invention. It's an aspect of bicycling I enjoy, but I defy you to find anything @Skipjacks has said that would imply that enjoyment of bicycling is dependent on it.

So basically you're implying that if we enjoy an aspect of bicycling that you don't care about, we're saying that you can't enjoy bicycling? Please don't make that argument near an open flame, straw tends to catch.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-20-19 at 12:23 AM.
Old 04-20-19, 12:45 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Super natural

Some of these sightings are of the supernatural it seems...👻👻🛸🛸🌠🌠👽👽👽👽🤓🤓
Old 04-20-19, 01:08 AM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Best thread I read in this forum. Thank you.
And thank you @OldTryGuy for sharing the real Fred link - inspiring read.
Old 04-20-19, 03:33 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
...............The bottom line is that it seems so silly that so many BF posters seem to obsess about the relative speed of strangers and whether or not they pass or get "dropped" by strangers riding a bicycle.
I call it the "Little Nash Rambler Syndrome"

Cadillac = Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cervélo, Pinarello, Canyon ..... etc.

Rambler = Varsity
Old 04-20-19, 06:18 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Wow, speaking of straw man arguments, you just made a doozy.

So basically you're implying that if we enjoy an aspect of bicycling that you don't care about, we're saying that you can't enjoy bicycling? Please don't make that argument near an open flame, straw tends to catch.
He is your self proclaimed moral superior. Bow down before him.
Old 04-21-19, 08:03 AM
Aznman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No, buying a bike specifically customized for you is what truly makes all the difference. This important concept works for everything, not just bikes.
Old 04-21-19, 02:47 PM
benjsy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love coming across a group of riders on there 6k carbon spaceships. Usually stay with them for a bit before passing making sure I use my downtube shifters as I go by whilst telling them “steel is real”.
Old 04-21-19, 03:23 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
It is getting to that time of the year when it is light enough in the morning where I can start commuting by bike on non-rainly days.... My commute is 12.5 miles each way, and my 'goal' is to beat my fastest time of 41 minutes, but in reality, just trying to make it in under 44 minutes. That's averaging over 17mph, including time spent at traffic lights. My riding speed is somewhere around 20-21. Not really hammering, but a good workout. I slow down the last two miles to around 15mph to 'cool down' a bit so as not to arrive at work all sweaty and winded.

Now for my bike and 'kit'... Either my '75 Fuji S-10S with rear rack --30 pounds as ridden with rack, full water bottle, tool bag, PLUS with my work clothes rolled up and bungied to the rack-- or my 24-pound Miyata 710 with full bottle and a handlebar bag... (I try to keep a change of work clothes in my locker at work). Both bikes have bright rear blinkies. I'll be wearing hiking cargo-type shorts, a safety neon yellow t-shirt and work boots (plus helmet and crochet-back cycling gloves) and wrap-around sunglasses.

Me? I'm a 5'8" borderline Clyde - complete with 'aero-belly' -- and over 60. Balding, graying.... Your typical Old Fart.
Old 04-25-19, 10:13 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm saying that... concern and attention to the speed and passing ability of strangers is mostly an affection of the minority of the cycling population who consider themselves avid enthusiasts.
I'm going to agree with this. I ride almost daily with my wife for the final portion of my homeward commute. I let her lead out, and simply match her pace. She's a competent rider and keeps an excellent cadence, but she lacks the killer instinct. We ride on roadsides and in bike lanes with traffic.

If we're passed by another rider, my wife's ride remains unchanged. She cares little. Inside my head, a voice is screaming "let's chase him/her down like a dog!!!" I leave that voice where it is, unspoken. I simply stay with my wife.

Different people, different pursuits.
Old 04-25-19, 04:49 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I ride fast on the MUP's, top speed so far was 43 mph (downhill with an aggressive tailwind, with nobody else around). On my commute, I absolutely enjoy when a particular squeaky vintage steed with double rear panniers passes me while I'm wearing typical road kit, on my streamlined CF rig, and going full tempo. This guy is always in baggy cargo shorts, a button down flannel shirt, and running sneakers. A fancy bike and clothes certainly aren't needed to be a fantastic cyclist.

Last edited by Riveting; 04-25-19 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 10:50 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Riveting
A fancy bike and clothes certainly aren't needed to be a fantastic cyclist.
True.

I would add that my definition of a "fantastic" (or good or skilled or knowledgeable) cyclist does not necessarily require or even consider an ability or desire to pass strangers when cycling.
Old 04-25-19, 10:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Just was on the other end of the Nash Rambler scenario today. I passed a group ride on a fairly empty MUP, and didn't think much of it. They were going fairly slow. A few minutes later, I realize one of them had broken from the group, and was drafting me. I really don't care if someone does that, it happens once in a while and as long as they're not getting crazy close, it doesn't offend me. I've actually ended up in some good conversation that way.
But this guy was clearly intent on passing me. He managed to do it, and then promptly dropped, and I am not exaggerating, a full 4 mph. Now, he is actually slowing me down quite a bit, which I do find annoying in that context. I wait until there's a straightaway, and let him know (nicely) I'm going to pass on left. There's about a third of a mile between us and a blind curve, so I have plenty of time to complete the pass without worrying about not seeing someone in the oncoming lane. I get alongside this guy and he starts pedaling frantically, and says to me "Wanna go?" I had to point out to him that racing into a blind corner is a pretty good way to kill someone because I won't know if someone is in the left lane, and promptly pulled back behind him. He, of course immediately and drastically dropped speed, actually struggling to maintain 15 mph. I passed him on the next straightaway, and didn't see him again until I passed him again going the other way on my return leg. He was very friendly as we passed going opposite directions, and he seemed quite happy having dropped back with his group.

The whole thing would have been silly fun, but I really was appalled by the blind curve thing.
Old 04-26-19, 09:15 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Probably cross-chained and rubbing on the FD. If the bike was that old, it was a lazy person not to manually trim the FD position, as back then it likely wasn't indexed.

Next, lots of folks abide by the MUP speed limits and use them to get from one crappy part of town to some decent road riding. Not all roadies hammer MUP's for workouts. Some do. Most local groups who do group rides on them post a 15 to 16mph target pace. As MUPs aren't for hard workouts or speedy work.

I've had folks try to latch on after I've gotten onto the MUP after spending 70 odd miles and 5000 feet riding road earlier. It's my last 3 miles home to cool down, I'd like to relax. It's a kind of like GTFO. Either fall back or go by with enough to stay away. Not blow up 3 minutes later and have me go around again. I've probably just had lunch/dinner and a beer after the A/A+ ride and don't feel like fooling around with anyone. I'm sorry that my Z1/Z2 cruise is someone else's PR. I'm just trying to get home so I can get a shower and collapse on the couch.

Now, you wanna have fun.........it's pure joy calling out "passing" if you're out doing time-trial work open-road and pass by the local A/A+ group ride. You'd think they saw an e-bike.
This sums up my thoughts as well.
Old 04-26-19, 11:32 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Just was on the other end of the Nash Rambler scenario today. I passed a group ride on a fairly empty MUP, and didn't think much of it. They were going fairly slow. A few minutes later, I realize one of them had broken from the group, and was drafting me. I really don't care if someone does that, it happens once in a while and as long as they're not getting crazy close, it doesn't offend me........
People like that drive cars too. They dart out making a turn into your lane because they HAVE to be in front of you...then want to drive 10 mph below the speed limit.

This kind of person is everywhere.
Old 04-26-19, 11:55 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

People like that drive cars too. They dart out making a turn into your lane because they HAVE to be in front of you...then want to drive 10 mph below the speed limit.

This kind of person is everywhere.
My sense is he was trying to show off for his friends and really thought it was all good fun. I would have as well, but for the blind curve thing. When I passed the group going the other way, they were all saying to me "there he goes! there he goes!"

I have a really high cruising speed for my age that I can maintain for hours, especially on roads. About 2 or three times a month, someone will misinterpret that as me racing to get ahead of them, so they'll knock themselves out struggling to barely pass me, stay up there for a minute or two, and then just fade completely. The funny part is when they start offering excuses--I don't think they're being intentionally insulting, but it does come off as "someone like you just can't possibly be faster than someone like me". White hair and inexpensive bikes really do trigger defensiveness in some people, and it's not like I'm taunting them or questioning them. I'm just riding my ride. Some of these guys seem like they're going to take a baseball bat to their Lightspeed when they get home, but I might be imagining that.
Old 04-26-19, 12:54 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
If they're not concerned about the speed of others, then how come the Saturday-paceline-boys-clubride keeps looking over their shoulders to see if I'm still back there? I'm maintaining a ~3 bikelength following distance, because I don't need the draft to hold their selected paceline speed. It is entertaining to watch. For me, at least.
My guess is that they're not looking to see if you're still there; they're checking for cars, which is always the responsibility of the last rider in the group.
Old 04-26-19, 03:09 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
This thread in General Cycling = amusement. I'd be impressed if I saw the same thread in the Road Cycling subforum. Appearances are deceiving, aren't they (which can be applied to the roadies in full kit that you passed)

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I am disappointed. I came in to this topic expecting to hear cruising mid 20's and climbing at 18+
Yup. Story is cool but meaningless without speeds/power #s .
Old 04-26-19, 04:34 PM
phtomita

Bikes: '87 Centurion Ironman, '86 Nishiki Tri-A, '84 Centurion PT15

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Yesterday going home from work cruising on my pace (pretty slow) and pass a hybrid that was going really slow.
After a while, traffic light with some bikes already there, so I stop a little back. The hybrid comes and goes all the way forward.
Traffic light opens and hybrid that kept probably high gear is very slow to get started. After crossing I pass again and yup, down hill like half mile.

Down there, there is another traffic light and some folks already waiting. Hybrid goes all the way to front again.
I stay behind him to cross and after some 300ft our paths split, so got home happy