Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The ďHow was your commute?Ē thread!

Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The ďHow was your commute?Ē thread!

Old 04-20-19, 06:44 PM
Phamilton

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I havenít commuted since Wednesday. I worked from home Thursday due to storms and shop was closed for Good Friday. Itís been raining basically non stop since Thursday.
I put flat bars back on my daily bike but havenít ridden much on it yet. I donít know which bike I will take to work on Monday but will probably be the hybrid since I have a full load of luggage. But maybe I can put the rear rack back on the Voyageur and see how it does fully loaded. Itís nice to feel spoiled for choice after riding the same bike daily since November, how ever many months or miles that is. Edit: Iíve been thinking for quite a while that it would be nice to have a couple bikes for commuting, a fast, light, nimble one for fair weather and a big cushy truck for hauling and not so fair weather. Be curious to know if anybody else has done this.

Last edited by Phamilton; 04-20-19 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-21-19, 06:16 PM
hagenandeggs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently between bicycles, but once my Brompton arrives I'll be commuting like a mad man!!!!
Old 04-21-19, 07:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1973 Raleigh Twenty, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Quoted: 5172 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton View Post
I havenít commuted since Wednesday. I worked from home Thursday due to storms and shop was closed for Good Friday. Itís been raining basically non stop since Thursday.
I put flat bars back on my daily bike but havenít ridden much on it yet. I donít know which bike I will take to work on Monday but will probably be the hybrid since I have a full load of luggage. But maybe I can put the rear rack back on the Voyageur and see how it does fully loaded. Itís nice to feel spoiled for choice after riding the same bike daily since November, how ever many months or miles that is. Edit: Iíve been thinking for quite a while that it would be nice to have a couple bikes for commuting, a fast, light, nimble one for fair weather and a big cushy truck for hauling and not so fair weather. Be curious to know if anybody else has done this.
Many of us do that, for exactly those reasons. You can have a fun ride on a light bike that can't do much when the weather is good and you don't have to carry much. Then have a slow ride on a bike that can take a beating and carry stuff when you have to or when the weather makes things rough.

ďWhen man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.Ē ó Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-21-19, 07:48 PM
Phamilton

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@noglider, I got a little taste of it today. I was on both bikes for a total of about 4 hours today. My kid asked me to go for a ride this evening and I didnít want to say no but Iíd already done at least 40 miles and then have to ride to work in the morning with a full load, laptop and all. My knees were feeling just a little thrashed but sitting back down on the hybrid was so nice after the rather spirited ride on the Voyageur. Thatís the bike I need some days, I donít always feel like I have the energy for drops and tall gears. Especially not carrying weight. When itís windy. Or raining. Etc.
Old 04-22-19, 07:20 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consecutive commute number 741:

Steady rain, 45F and a strong headwind. But the MUP was back open, so that made my route a little shorter and much less hectic than the route I've ridden for the last month. River is still really high, but now showing signs that it's finally receding almost six weeks after the flood. There was only one portion of the MUP that was still underwater (on my route) but it was so short that I just slowed down and rode through it. Some muddy spots too where it's obvious that it had been underwater recently.

When I arrived at work one of the maintenance guys looked at me and said, "I know you think it's no big deal for you to ride in the rain, but I think you're crazy." I smiled and replied, "Well, I'm crazy regardless of whether or not I ride in the rain."
Old 04-22-19, 08:01 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was one of those 'why can't the weather be like this every day' kind of days.

The kind when you're mad when you get to work because it means the bike ride is over.

GORGEOUS today
Old 04-22-19, 10:38 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice ride in this morning. About 60 degrees with a 12 to 15 MPH south wind. My 14.5 mile route is mostly East (to) and West (from), so a North or South wind does not hurt me too much. There is one section of the commute that is almost directly South and, even though some of it is downhill, I have been in a South wind where I had to pedal, going downhill, in a lower gear just to maintain forward momentum.
Here in the DFW metroplex, you have to learn to like the wind because it seems like it is always blowing about 12 to 15 MPH and often faster than that.
Old 04-22-19, 03:19 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82/82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 89 Basso PR

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton View Post
Edit: Iíve been thinking for quite a while that it would be nice to have a couple bikes for commuting, a fast, light, nimble one for fair weather and a big cushy truck for hauling and not so fair weather. Be curious to know if anybody else has done this.
As Noglider said, I think most of us have multiple bikes for multiple roles. My Lotus Unique has eyelets for fenders, so I put a set on and that's what gets ridden when there is rain or a forecast of rain. The selection in dry conditions has to do with destination, expected road conditions (pavement quality...), and often security; as in, is there a safe place to bring the bike inside, or lock it up?

I think it helps with motivation, and it's always cool to switch to a different bike after a little while and notice all of the differences.