Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Dog Trailer

Old 03-24-18, 10:08 AM
pjbennett

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog Trailer

Hello

This might be a post for a dog forum but thought someone on here my have experienced a similar episode to the one that I have.

We have bought a dog trailer so that we can bring our dog with us when we go cycling while we’re on camping trips. We have a camper van so I wouldn’t leave her alone.

She’s a lab who is normally happy with anything. We trained her to get in and out of the trailer and she was very happy. She is crate trained so it would seem perfectly normal to her. However, when we took her for her first trip (about 10 seconds) she went berserk. Not just a bit mad but she’s ripped the cover, she was clawing that hard and the noise was incredible. It was quite upsetting. Needless to say, we cut the trip short and got her home.

Has anyone had a similar experience and have you been able to help your dog get over their trauma?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-18, 04:00 PM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
Had similar experience with our labrador, she didn't go mad but we never managed to get her to stay in so gave up and just used an flexi lead and let her off when we were in areas we could without any cars like forest trails.

Whilst out walking she'd wander off wherever she wanted if she was off lead and would chasing off to greet any other dog but when she was off lead and with us on bikes she'd stay with us as I don't think she wanted to be left behind / lose her pack but I'm not convinced I'd ever have been 100% happy cycling on a pavement and not trust her to dart out in front of traffic if she saw another dog / a squirrel across the road.

Good luck with it but ours just got to the stage she wouldn't get in it whatever the bribe because she knew it was likely to move soon after she did.
Old 04-03-18, 09:16 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 5896 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 723 Posts
I've no experienc with it, but I notice that all the dogs that are in a crate on the front of the bike are 'participating' in the journey. Always alert and looking forward, I never see a dog on a bike sleeping, facing backwards or relaxing. So maybe the cover is too much of a cover and doesn't let the dog see and smell enough of the environment?
Old 06-21-18, 11:12 PM
Jenniferg82

Bikes: Specialized sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wish..

Oh, I wish I could bring my baby on a ride. Unfortunately, she is a pointer/pit mix about 65 pounds. I’m always a wee bit jealous when I see people with little doggies in the basket. Anyways, I do take her hiking and she barely tolerates it. I always thought I would be the type of person who wanted a more active dog.. but when we went to adopt, I looked into her eyes and I knew she was the dog for us. Lazy and all.
Old 06-22-18, 08:46 AM
Frankcycles414

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really good idea!
Old 04-09-19, 01:19 PM
dashely

Bikes: Rodriguez 6-Pack, Giant Halfway

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please note I have only trained a small dog to ride in a basket.

She was not keen on it at first. so with her in the basket, gently pushed the bike then after about 5 minutes out for a treat. Then pushed with the bike leaning side to side. Then a short ride to the park. After about a week she liked going on rides. After about a month she would sleep in the basket.

So if you can get your dog back in, I would push the bike a ways and have treats so that the dog sees the bike as fun.
Old 04-09-19, 02:21 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I tried with Mom's Australian Shepard. I could coax him to get into the trailer with a treat, but he was back out instantly. No cover, so he could just jump back out. No way to calm him.

It wasn't a huge issue, so I just gave up.,

One can get sedatives from the vet for fireworks. Perhaps one could try some for the bike trailer. Dramamine?